Expired Hot Deals

[The Source] Sega Genesis Mini Console, $59.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 2:20 pm
Mar 9, 2009
298 posts
185 upvotes
sleepyguy wrote: Going with Nintendo Switch is your best bet, they can play with their friends online if they are into that. My 6 and 8 yr old didn't seem to have the "skill" to play older retro games that required super timing and such and got frustrated. I got them a switch with Yoshi Crafted Island, they love it and it's easy to play... my wallet didn't like it... switch games are a total rip off.
9x more money before games...damn I should have bought that Ferrari instead of my Toyota because its way better
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
3590 posts
2150 upvotes
Toronto
superxxxstud wrote: would love some help with this. Are any of the games suitable for a 5 year old?

In this covid era, I tried booting up xbox360 and downloaded some demos but really most games are too complicated. Minecraft works but cant teach a 5 year old to craft stuff! Or is nintendo the only way to go for the young ones?
in my experience, 5 is still a bit young for any console type games that require a gamepad. even nintendo kid games like mario kart on the easy level will still be a bit steep of a learning curve @ 5. stick to a tablet/ipad and touch type games for the lil ones entertainment.
Dec 8, 2009
321 posts
297 upvotes
micromen wrote: Bought it ! doubt it will get any cheaper and if it does good luck finding one at that price.
I picked one up for $49.49 +tax from The Source eBay store back in December. It was $54.99 and there was a 10% eBay tech code you could use for the additional discount.

At $59.99 it's still worth getting though.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2381 posts
1178 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
justapoorboy wrote: I'll prolly catch some flak for this but I cringe when people buy these mini consoles. They're such a rip off and just a completely shameless cash grab. If you can go without the cute little shell you should just use emulators. Hell, even a raspberry pi or something with a 3rd party shell you can buy and put it in. You could fit every single Genesis game on it, not Just the 8 games or whatever they give you. Same goes for the other mini consoles too.
For me, it’s the controllers.
You can’t have an authentic retro gaming experience without the proper controllers.

Key mapping is OK and is tolerable most of the time.. but it’s not the same thing.
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2381 posts
1178 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
How do you even do Street fighter with the included 3 button controllers? Thinking Face 🤦‍♂️
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4918 posts
3601 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Thanks OP! I couldn't resist any longer. Was hoping for $50, but this will have to do!

All I need now for mini consoles is the TurboGrafx 16 and C64 mini!
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
3590 posts
2150 upvotes
Toronto
TheImp wrote: How do you even do Street fighter with the included 3 button controllers? Thinking Face 🤦‍♂️
you simply don't....

the start button swaps the "fire" buttons between punches and kicks using the stock gamepad
that's why i had to shell out for the 6'er, on sale for $20 (lowest I've ever seen it go for)
https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/gaming/g ... /108083834

wireless one is also on sale for $30,
https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/gaming/g ... /108083835

I'm getting this one too eventually,
https://www.amazon.ca/BrawlerGen-Genesi ... 14&sr=8-11
Last edited by Fightguard on May 26th, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 25, 2017
131 posts
133 upvotes
Hook it up to your car aftermarket head unit.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2004
1897 posts
489 upvotes
Nepean
For some great information on emulators, and how to add/modify this type of console, compared to a Pi, etc. , check out the YouTube Channel DrewTalks. Here is his latest, which is quite topical to this thread.
Wrocky
Dec 20, 2006
423 posts
192 upvotes
TheImp wrote: For me, it’s the controllers.
You can’t have an authentic retro gaming experience without the proper controllers.

Key mapping is OK and is tolerable most of the time.. but it’s not the same thing.
This! Controllers are the way we actually interact with what's happening on the screen and we all know a bad controller ruins everything. With retro systems this becomes even more pronounced. There's a feel to using the original controller that is hard to replicate with some games and systems.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8339 posts
2790 upvotes
TheImp wrote: How do you even do Street fighter with the included 3 button controllers? Thinking Face 🤦‍♂️
For Street Fighter II on the Genesis, the Select button to toggles between having 3 punches or 3 kick buttons and has to be pressed to switch between them every single time.
Unless you buy one of those compatible 6 button Sega Genesis Controllers. Keep in mind it is Champion Edition which does not have Cammy, Dee Jay, T. Hawk or Fei Long.

The sound effects and music are awful compared
to the SNES version.

Genesis Mini version:

The Genesis mini is lackluster compared to the Super Nintendo Classic Mini console.
The sound and music synthesizer in SNES games has more range, plus the games lineup in the SNES is also significantly better.
Aug 18, 2012
484 posts
229 upvotes
Ottawa
Fightguard wrote: you simply don't....

the start button swaps the "fire" buttons between punches and kicks using the stock gamepad
that's why i had to shell out for the 6'er, on sale for $20 (lowest I've ever seen it go for)
https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/gaming/g ... /108083834

wireless one is also on sale for $30,
https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/gaming/g ... /108083835

I'm getting this one too eventually,
https://www.amazon.ca/BrawlerGen-Genesi ... 14&sr=8-11
Thanks! Got 2 wired controllers.
Mar 9, 2009
298 posts
185 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: For Street Fighter II on the Genesis, the Select button to toggles between having 3 punches or 3 kick buttons and has to be pressed to switch between them every single time.
Unless you buy one of those compatible 6 button Sega Genesis Controllers. Keep in mind it is Champion Edition which does not have Cammy, Dee Jay, T. Hawk or Fei Long.

The sound effects and music are awful compared
to the SNES version.

Genesis Mini version:

The Genesis mini is lackluster compared to the Super Nintendo Classic Mini console.
The sound and music synthesizer in SNES games has more range, plus the games lineup in the SNES is also significantly better.
Well that is a matter of opinion...I far prefer the Genesis games. Also, you realize you can install the entire SNES catalog on this easily. These things don't use the actual hardware.

I would suggest buying a couple six button controllers and then you will have 4 controllers for playing mame games like TMNT and Simpsons ect.