1193 upvotes

[The Source] smart light bulbs + plug

6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7547 posts
8123 upvotes
Vancouver
iceman2929 wrote: Are these compatible with hue/smartthings?
These are WiFi, not Zigbee like the Hue bulbs.

They are being sold under the new brand name "Bright", but they are apparently the same as the products previously branded "Globe" - note that the description still says that they use the Globe app.

I have a couple of Globe switches and bulbs. The hardware is fine, and I would have recommended them until recently, but now there's a problem. These bulbs and switches, like many others, are supported by the Tuya Smart Life servers and apps (the Globe app is just a rebrand that uses the same servers). Tuya is one of the major companies in this market, and they have really gone after the software and support side of the business from all these cheap hardware suppliers. But lately they've gotten a bit too impressed with their own dominance, and they've started not cooperating with other services because they think they don't have to. They just went through a dispute with IFTTT, refusing to pay IFTTTs new higher fees, and as a result IFTTT didn't work with any of these Tuya-supported devices for a month. And a few weeks ago they started rate-limiting access to their server api by other home automation services, and broke Home Assistant. Service has been partially restored, but Tuya's response to complaints has been that you should buy all Tuya-supported equipment, and then you will be able to do anything you really need using Tuya's automation services (which are lame and inadequate).

So at the moment, I would hold off on buying any devices dependent on Tuya for support.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1386 posts
1421 upvotes
ON
The reviews are nothing to write home about.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Apr 10, 2016
29 posts
11 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: These are WiFi, not Zigbee like the Hue bulbs.

They are being sold under the new brand name "Bright", but they are apparently the same as the products previously branded "Globe" - note that the description still says that they use the Globe app.
Good catch on the re-branding + tuya mention.

These should be compatible with tasmota and should possibly work with tuya-convert. It's more of an "advanced" setup but if you have Home Assistant + MQTT you can just flash these with tasmota and you won't have to rely on any tuya software which is where I think most of the bad reviews come from. I might go and grab the bulbs and see what happens

Links on the tasmota devices page:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5045 posts
2734 upvotes
GTA
Just picked these up, the rgb brightness is a joke, wonder how it'll look at night but I'm pretty sure I'll be returning these.
Rgb really is dim even at night, barely bright enough to light up the ceiling. The regular white color is bright enough, the color temps are nice too.