Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Source

TheSource.ca: Verbatim DVD-R 4.7GB 16X Spindle Life Series 100 Pack 19.99$...

Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
14952 posts
213269 upvotes
Montreal

[The Source] TheSource.ca: Verbatim DVD-R 4.7GB 16X Spindle Life Series 100 Pack 19.99$...

Hi there,

Not sure if these are as good as the old batch. I noticed it isn't the AZO mark on it...

http://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/computers ... /108044504

I guess good for burning non-essential stuff...

Ju Leon...
35 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1113 posts
872 upvotes
Wow we used to get excited about this price 10 years ago when FutureScrap still existed!

Kinda expected they would be cheaper than dirt by now since most if not all patents expired earlier this year.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
rabbit wrote:
inferno_gn wrote: Not sure if these are as good as the old batch. I noticed it isn't the AZO mark on it...
It's their value series. http://www.verbatim.com/subcat/optical- ... fe-series/ <-- note the title of the page, "Affordable Blank DVD R Disc ..."
+1 Canada Computers often has the 50pks on sale for $12.99. At that small of a price difference I'd grab those.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
14952 posts
213269 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

I still got spindles from the old FS sale and they aee all AZO. I read a few reviews of these ones and seem to be crap.

Ju Leon...
Dec 16, 2007
690 posts
220 upvotes
TO
You buy Verbatim for quality blanks, their Life series unfortunately does not qualify as a quality blank.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Mitsubishi Verbatim DVD-R, DVD+R or DVD+R DL, made in India, UAE, Singapore or Taiwan. (Do not buy the “Life Series” or “Value Series” discs.) Good Verbatim is getting harder to find in local stores.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
gimmesomee wrote: You buy Verbatim for quality blanks, their Life series unfortunately does not qualify as a quality blank.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Mitsubishi Verbatim DVD-R, DVD+R or DVD+R DL, made in India, UAE, Singapore or Taiwan. (Do not buy the “Life Series” or “Value Series” discs.) Good Verbatim is getting harder to find in local stores.
Very interesting, thanks, i wonder if there is a similar guide to CD-RW, need some for the car
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Apr 13, 2009
926 posts
459 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Very interesting, thanks, i wonder if there is a similar guide to CD-RW, need some for the car
I need the same. That's the only way to make sure my kids listen to songs without lyrics full of profanity & obscenity.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
TE7 wrote:
Quentin5 wrote: Very interesting, thanks, i wonder if there is a similar guide to CD-RW, need some for the car
I need the same. That's the only way to make sure my kids listen to songs without lyrics full of profanity & obscenity.
LOL
My device will read MP3s from CDs but has no USB inputs and going through stacks of CDRs is rather wasteful
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Jan 18, 2005
408 posts
83 upvotes
Title made me think this was a post from 2008. I still have many spindles, but other than my main PC, IO have nothing that plays cd/dvd anymore.
May 17, 2013
368 posts
335 upvotes
GWN
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

I still got spindles from the old FS sale and they aee all AZO. I read a few reviews of these ones and seem to be crap.

Ju Leon...
AZO are the most reliable Verbatim discs. I wouldn't use any other Verbatim.
Taiyo Yuden (JVC) are the best I have found, but I have never seen a great price in Canada for them.
May 17, 2013
368 posts
335 upvotes
GWN
TE7 wrote:
Wish I had some good news for you. I was looking for a CD-R spindle of throwaways to use and was shocked to see Canada is still excising a very heavy tax on them (a spindle at London Drugs doubled in price when the tax was added). Gotta stop that music piracy because so many people have CD players these days.
The tax also applies to CD-RWs. So if you can find something on Amazon at a great price grab it because they don't add the extra tax....at least they didn't for me.
I did manage to find an awesome deal on Amazon.ca of Verbatim CD-R 100 spindle for $19 and no added tax. After I bought it vanished from their website and all their CD-R spindle prices jumped. I received my spindle just fine, but I think I awoke the tax monster at Amazon.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7827 posts
9141 upvotes
Vancouver
Robotron2084 wrote:
TE7 wrote:
Wish I had some good news for you. I was looking for a CD-R spindle of throwaways to use and was shocked to see Canada is still excising a very heavy tax on them (a spindle at London Drugs doubled in price when the tax was added). Gotta stop that music piracy because so many people have CD players these days.
The tax also applies to CD-RWs. So if you can find something on Amazon at a great price grab it because they don't add the extra tax....at least they didn't for me.
I did manage to find an awesome deal on Amazon.ca of Verbatim CD-R 100 spindle for $19 and no added tax. After I bought it vanished from their website and all their CD-R spindle prices jumped. I received my spindle just fine, but I think I awoke the tax monster at Amazon.
I don't know anyone that's paid the tax. If you shop at London Drugs, then yes. But anyone who's even half savvy would be buying from their local computer store.
May 17, 2013
368 posts
335 upvotes
GWN
Sorry I'm not "savvy" enough for you. I don't normally buy media at all anymore since I have so much redundant storage and backups. My work also has mass disc duplication technology we use for our software so buying discs is something in my past.
I was shopping at London Drugs at thought I would pick some up since they were marked down and was surprised to see the tax was still there. This whole thread is about people shopping at The Source and retail stores who do charge this tax. I wanted to make them aware.
I have been in the computer industry for decades (too long) and have watched it grow from personal, networked (first in the business realm with Novell) and then into the internet. I know what it's like to shop around for computers parts before there was an internet (best deal was an Ad Lib sound card for $75 with software at the first FutureShop store in Canada).

So Mr. Condescending, how does one join the "savvy" club? My local computer stores are garbage and I would never give them a dime. Overpriced with useless staff and poor return policies.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7827 posts
9141 upvotes
Vancouver
Robotron2084 wrote: Sorry I'm not "savvy" enough for you. I don't normally buy media at all anymore since I have so much redundant storage and backups. My work also has mass disc duplication technology we use for our software so buying discs is something in my past.
I was shopping at London Drugs at thought I would pick some up since they were marked down and was surprised to see the tax was still there. This whole thread is about people shopping at The Source and retail stores who do charge this tax. I wanted to make them aware.
I have been in the computer industry for decades (too long) and have watched it grow from personal, networked (first in the business realm with Novell) and then into the internet. I know what it's like to shop around for computers parts before there was an internet (best deal was an Ad Lib sound card for $75 with software at the first FutureShop store in Canada).

So Mr. Condescending, how does one join the "savvy" club? My local computer stores are garbage and I would never give them a dime. Overpriced with useless staff and poor return policies.
Not sure what you're talking about.

The Source doesn't charge this media levy. This spindle of Verbatim DVD-R shows in my shopping cart as $22.39 after GST and PST in BC.

NCIX sponsors this forum. You can start by checking them out because they don't charge the levy. Nor does Memory Express, Canada Computers, Best Buy, and countless others. You really have to go out of your way to shop at London Drugs to get hit with the levy.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15194 posts
4376 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Spinner wrote:I don't know anyone that's paid the tax. If you shop at London Drugs, then yes. But anyone who's even half savvy would be buying from their local computer store.
Well, aren't you special?
Spinner wrote:The Source doesn't charge this media levy. This spindle of Verbatim DVD-R shows in my shopping cart as $22.39 after GST and PST in BC.
The levy only applies to blank CDs, not DVDs. (* actually, I think the levy may apply on media players with flash memory also)
May 24, 2007
713 posts
867 upvotes
Kelowna
TE7 wrote: I need the same. That's the only way to make sure my kids listen to songs without lyrics full of profanity & obscenity.
The best thing you can do if your car doesn't have USB inputs is to pick up a FM transmitter that can take USB sticks and has an SD card slot. Picked one up from China for a few bucks a number of years back and it worked great in my previous vehicle. Sound quality was great and the only issue is if you're driving into a big city and they happen to be broadcasting on the exact same frequency but it only takes a second to change it.

Used to throw a couple books on there for really long cross country drives and the kids would listen to them for hours. Just make sure to get one that gives you options like artist search and has a full LCD. We had our vehicle broken into once and they stole my remote for ours so it was never as good after that and ours was so old that it played things in sequential order so finding things without the remote was a huge pain.

New vehicle has USB inputs so not a problem anymore but that FM Transmitter got us across half the country at least a dozen times.
Apr 13, 2009
926 posts
459 upvotes
Great advice. Thank you Hexxhed.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7827 posts
9141 upvotes
Vancouver
rabbit wrote:
Spinner wrote:The Source doesn't charge this media levy. This spindle of Verbatim DVD-R shows in my shopping cart as $22.39 after GST and PST in BC.
The levy only applies to blank CDs, not DVDs. (* actually, I think the levy may apply on media players with flash memory also)
No one except London Drugs is charging the levy on blank CDs. This includes big and small retailers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)