Expired Hot Deals

The Source

Virgin Mobile $40/mo for 24 months, 12GB LTE + $50 GC + $0 Activation + 1000 LD minutes

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2021 3:13 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
11217 posts
1860 upvotes
Guelph
SauceLife wrote: Went to the Virgin kiosk at Dufferin mall. Got 12 months @ $35 and the next 12 months @ $40 for BYOD. There is a $50 activation fee but they also gave me a $50 accessory credit that I used for some cables.
I was told the $50 activation is credit on 1st or 2nd bill.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 68-0-0 and counting.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
2944 posts
2215 upvotes
Southern Ontario
squall458 wrote: I was told the $50 activation is credit on 1st or 2nd bill.
It's listed on my Promo line on the contract where the activation charge is rebated on the 1st or 2nd bill. I got The Source deal, not straight from Virgin. I chatted with Virgin online and they didn't have any deal similar to that when I asked about anything close to the deal at The Source.

My problem is that I have nothing to buy at The Source with that gift card.
Sep 21, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener, ON
This plan is BS.

The 1000 LD minutes included are only for the following countries: India, Germany, China, Bangladesh, UK, Italy, Mexico, Australia, Taiwan, Hong Kong & Taipei.
No one in the store tells you this.

And the GC was only $50, to be used in store, at the time of purchase.

And its not 24 months, only 15 months.

And no one told me anything until the contract is printed. Then i had to specifically ask. The LD minutes i didnt know until i got my first bill. When i called, they were like "yah, it doesn't count if you call the US"

So I now wonder, why did i switch off of a grandfathered $29 plan from Freedom?
Feb 7, 2018
971 posts
1533 upvotes
tigric9520507473 wrote: This plan is BS.

The 1000 LD minutes included are only for the following countries: India, Germany, China, Bangladesh, UK, Italy, Mexico, Australia, Taiwan, Hong Kong & Taipei.

And no one told me anything until the contract is printed. Then i had to specifically ask. The LD minutes i didnt know until i got my first bill. When i called, they were like "yah, it doesn't count if you call the US"

Oh no - it only covers the countries with the highest number of immigrants in Canada, how absolutely terrible of them to offer that! If you need US calling get VOIP.

To answer your last question, the reason you ditched Freedom From Service is because they have terrible coverage and data speeds.
Jul 3, 2009
153 posts
88 upvotes
Mississauga
absolutcamper wrote: This whole ever changing promo thing is getting out of hand…
The rep I was dealing said deals sometimes change twice a day.
Jul 3, 2009
153 posts
88 upvotes
Mississauga
.......So I now wonder, why did i switch off of a grandfathered $29 plan from Freedom?
wiab89 wrote: Oh no - it only covers the countries with the highest number of immigrants in Canada, .......... the reason you ditched Freedom From Service is because they have terrible coverage and data speeds.
Tigric, wiab has some excellent points. Plus I think you are young. Anytime anyone mentions LD minutes to me, my first question is to where? Every country is different. Back in early nineties I have paid over $1 per min to some countries.

Anyways, not end of world. Check to see if FM might have a winback team too.

Also, today you are required to move every year. Or pay up extra for nothing. Maybe Christmas might have a sale too.
Last edited by spacefoss on Nov 25th, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 12, 2019
13 posts
8 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Just picked up this deal at The Source in City Centre Mall, Edmonton.

The employees there said the 1000LD was no longer available, and also said the offer was only 15 months long now. I did get the $50 GC and 40$/12gb though. I showed them a picture if a contract from a friend who got the deal at Kingsway, but they wouldn't budge.

In the end I went with it, I figure that even after 15 months I'll probably find something better, or switch for another deal since this doesn't lock you into anything.
Last edited by Zeelin9 on Nov 25th, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3634 posts
928 upvotes
Toronto
Zeelin9 wrote: Just picked up this deal at City Centre in Edmonton.

The employees there said the 1000LD was no longer available, and also said the offer was only 15 months long now. I did get the $50 GC and 40$/12gb though. I showed them a picture if a contract from a friend who got the deal at Kingsway, but they wouldn't budge.

In the end I went with it, I figure that even after 15 months I'll probably find something better, or switch for another deal since this doesn't lock you into anything.
This was at the source I am assuming?
Jul 3, 2009
153 posts
88 upvotes
Mississauga
Zeelin9 wrote: Just picked up this deal at City Centre in Edmonton.

Did you port or new line? Cause I went back to Fido $45/25g with $100 bill credit today. So if I stay 1 year, that's like $37/25g. Can't beat that in my opinion.
Sep 21, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener, ON
Today, its $0.75 per minute to the USA. I think that's really high.

My husband has a US phone number, and we live in the same house in Canada, but I pay if i have to call him.
Of course, we find ways around it (calls using data, etc;), but still...
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
2614 posts
1579 upvotes
Etobicoke
tigric9520507473 wrote: Today, its $0.75 per minute to the USA. I think that's really high.

My husband has a US phone number, and we live in the same house in Canada, but I pay if i have to call him.
Of course, we find ways around it (calls using data, etc;), but still...

International texts are free from Canada. So, message him and have him call you lol.
May 12, 2019
13 posts
8 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
spacefoss wrote: Did you port or new line? Cause I went back to Fido $45/25g with $100 bill credit today. So if I stay 1 year, that's like $37/25g. Can't beat that in my opinion.
Ported from Telus EPP (switched employer so I couldn't get a different EPP deal). I had a friend refer me at Virgin, bringing my monthly amount down to $35 for the first 10 months, and $40 for the remaining 5.

12gb of data will be fine for me for the time being, but that Fido deal is pretty elite. I'll probably find something next Black Friday/Christmas, so I am not too beat up about it.

undacova wrote: This was at the source I am assuming?
Yep! The Source. Edited.
Jan 8, 2006
124 posts
44 upvotes
Edmonton
Are the deals at Costco and Walmart better? I read in some of the forums that people got gift cards and other perks. Not sure if they were plans with new phones or BYOP.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
2614 posts
1579 upvotes
Etobicoke
trinh_4 wrote: Are the deals at Costco and Walmart better? I read in some of the forums that people got gift cards and other perks. Not sure if they were plans with new phones or BYOP.
What I heard is all BYOD comes with $50 gift card at Walmart and I think Costco always offer card charger and wireless headset with new line activation.

Sometimes at The source they give you store credit and makes you spend it right there. So, that may be one reason people choose other stores.
Aug 5, 2017
296 posts
299 upvotes
i wasnt able to get this deal on TheSource in Laval/QC. They said 10GB/50$
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
2944 posts
2215 upvotes
Southern Ontario

All this was listed in the thread as the details changed. My $50 gift card still has it's full value, days later. I checked it online. You probably switched off Freedom because you wanted a real, reliable network. I have a few friends who have Freedom but always complain about roaming and bad service. That's not worth the savings.
Last edited by Gibsons on Nov 27th, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
2944 posts
2215 upvotes
Southern Ontario
frenk927 wrote: i wasnt able to get this deal on TheSource in Laval/QC. They said 10GB/50$
Deal is most likely DEAD since Black Friday has come and gone. If anyone else can confirm this, then someone report the deal thread to be Expired.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)