Expired Hot Deals

[The UPS Store] [GVR] Ship to UPS Blaine, $0.99 / small pkg

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2020 4:21 am
[OP]
Sep 23, 2011
147 posts
88 upvotes
biggerthanfun wrote: Has anyone successfully ordered from Costco.com? The last time I tried was for Pulse Packages and my order was cancelled as I guess they were flagged.
Yup, I ordered a few times to Point Robert and Blaine (5D), both received no problem. What I noticed is that Costco.com address system is bit sensitive so you have to enter the addresses the way it likes or it'll cancel your order.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18746 posts
2034 upvotes
Resposi wrote: You should never attempt to lie or deceit the CBSA agents at the borders no matter what. The odds are that you will be let through without paying fees for anything under 200 USD, though in theory, they could ask you to pay applicable duties and tax on anything if you don't spend a day over the border. These agents are trained to sniff lies and will crack you if they sense any form of conceal or defensive intent. It's simply a matter of the amount tax they could collect (12%) versus the time they have to process the documents so it doesn't make logical sense for them to do unless your order is way above that.

You will simply tell them every item you have picked up no matter how trivial or cheap some of the items are and the total price, e.g. "bringing in a parcel including two pairs of socks, a sweater and a leather belt, totaling $xxx USD before Washington State tax.. ". If asked for proof, showing them the order confirmation email or some forms of electronic proof on your phone would be enough. It is also useful to know the origin of your higher-ticket items if they are covered under trade agreements, e.g. US/CA/MEX and the EU. I got asked I recall twice about the origin (leather shoes made in US) and was let through easily without even needing to show proof.

Another key thing to note, make sure you open your package and check your parcel before heading back to Canada. I once got questioned at the border if I actually checked what I am bringing in which luckily I did. I suspect that if you didn't, you would be asked to open the parcel and might conveniently get assessed for tax/duties.
I've gone through the border telling the truth and having all my receipts ready for more than 20 years. I've only ever had to pay taxes once and it was for a $1000 laptop. I've declared over $800 and got waved. If I have to pay taxes, I pay taxes.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Oct 3, 2018
43 posts
56 upvotes
Definitely declare ANYTHING coming back into Canada. Six pack of beer they will allow without paying any duty when going down for a few minutes.

I've brought in $350 worth of stuff from USA to Canada the other day, with zero problems.

Make sure you have no drugs in your vehicle.

When crossing into the USA, state that you are picking up a package, and when they ask what it is just tell them. But make sure it's for personal use only. Don't go through the Nexus lane if anything you do in the USA is for commercial or non-personal use.

Ensure that you have absolutely no fruit or veggies in the vehicle going into the USA. If you do, declare it, they might have you dispose of it.

Random checks do happen, though rarely. Be very prepared to explain what is in your vehicle, where you plan on going, what you will be doing.

If you have a converted van, make sure that you tell them you own a property in Canada, and that your van is not your full time sleeping vehicle. They will refuse you entry in some cases.

Just tell the absolute truth, and you'll have zero problems.

Been crossing Peace Arch since 1990, and Nexus for most of that time.

And, 5D Packages rule!! They are the best!
Oct 26, 2011
89 posts
211 upvotes
Vancouver
isthisreallife wrote: We hold the packages for 2 weeks and after the 14th day there is a .50 cents a day storage fee.
If you pick up less frequently than every 2 weeks like me, then 5D may be better for you with their 30 day hold.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2712 posts
664 upvotes
Vancouver
rfd222222 wrote: When crossing into the USA, state that you are picking up a package, and when they ask what it is just tell them. But make sure it's for personal use only. Don't go through the Nexus lane if anything you do in the USA is for commercial or non-personal use.
When you bring an eBay item you sold to a US Resident and mail through USPS, you're suggesting not to use the Nexus lane. Is it ok though to use your Nexus card in the regular lane in this situation?
Nov 21, 2017
871 posts
513 upvotes
Surrey BC
Thatdealguy wrote: if we purchase over $250 worth of products, do we have to tell the boarder people?

Sometimes they ask me if I am picking up any parcels etc. I'm not sure what to say.
why is this even a question. you admit to crossing the border. obviously you tell the truth.
Oct 6, 2018
65 posts
74 upvotes
biggerthanfun wrote: Has anyone successfully ordered from Costco.com? The last time I tried was for Pulse Packages and my order was cancelled as I guess they were flagged.
Same experience.
I recently just tried to order Airpods from costco.com.... on sale for $129US. Order went through, they accepted Blaine shipping address and Canadian card billing address, but the order was cancelled a few hours later.
Jan 13, 2013
491 posts
276 upvotes
Vancouver
rstocksfu763730 wrote: Same experience.
I recently just tried to order Airpods from costco.com.... on sale for $129US. Order went through, they accepted Blaine shipping address and Canadian card billing address, but the order was cancelled a few hours later.
I just tried Costco.com from this UPS store and it got cancelled within 2 hours.
Jun 1, 2016
995 posts
2056 upvotes
Surprised people don't know this, there's advertising literally everywhere.

Anyway, beware that they don't have the same "return to sender" / "package refused" service. They always give me shit if I order a package, it arrives (because Amazon can't cancel it) and then want to return it (without opening or taking it, mind you).

With 5D Packages you can use the website to refuse any package within a week. Not here. You have to have a return label for them otherwise they won't "return to sender".

Pretty annoying but otherwise they're decent, price is too good.

Also I did not pay anything to set it up. So YMMV depending on who you get. You can probably even argue that there is no setup fee advertised in the pamphlet.
$28 Phone Plan:
  • Unlimited Data (25gb LTE)
  • Unlimited Talk / Text
  • Unlimited Roaming in US / Canada / Mexico
  • eSIM (allows dual SIM)
Jun 1, 2016
995 posts
2056 upvotes
sparkaction wrote: @DeltaSingh When you refuse delivery, does Amazon charge you a fee?
No, why would they? They're the ones that tell me to refuse the shipment when they're unable to cancel it.
$28 Phone Plan:
  • Unlimited Data (25gb LTE)
  • Unlimited Talk / Text
  • Unlimited Roaming in US / Canada / Mexico
  • eSIM (allows dual SIM)
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1496 posts
210 upvotes
Lots of good advice in this thread. If you fill up a Jerry can of gas, don't forget to declare it.

While it's good to declare everything you're bringing back, I find that most of the time, the guard is rolling his eyes by the time I get to the end of "$60 in purchases: mainly groceries and a can of gas".
Apr 26, 2008
15 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Off topic but I was trying to carry gas (in 4 jerry cans) back the other day through Pacific Crossing. The border guard didn't seem too happy but he let me through anyways. He said it's because I drove a hatchback and the jerry cans weren't supposed to be 'in' the car. Anyone had a similar experience? I've done this plenty of times but this was the first time that CBSA wasn't happy.
Oct 3, 2018
43 posts
56 upvotes
Believe it or not, but you'll have to go into the truck crossing instead of peace arch, and declare your items that you sold on eBay. You'll be brought inside, pay a fee of $10 (could be more now), fill in paperwork, talk to the customs officer.

Absolutely not worth it.

But don't try doing this in the Nexus lane, it's prohibited.

Talk to the border guards first before you bring in your item and find out what the new rules may be. I've stopped bringing items over for eBay.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
1660 posts
1091 upvotes
If the $10 signup fee didn't exist, I think more RFDers would use it. Wonder if I can talk them into waiving it for me..