Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Dyson DC42 Animal Upright Vacuum $389.95 down from $599.95

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2015 11:53 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5679 upvotes
VANCOUVER
We have a Hoover bagless and find that we have to constantly clean out the filter, or else there's hardly any suction. Don't know if it's just bad design or ours is defective. Do Dysons have this issue?
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5679 upvotes
VANCOUVER
kuopan wrote: Thanks OP! Just ordered a DC42 online. Anyone know if this model is discontinued? can anyone comment on the suction power over the life of this vacuum?

I hope the dyson name lives up to expectations. Had a hard time paying this price for a vacuum but friends have convinced me that it's well worth it. Let's hope this lasts at least 5 years, haha...
FWIW, I was at a vacuum store once, and the owner said Dysons are over-rated and not worth the trouble. The main issue appears to be the warranty and repair process when they break down, not so much performance out of the box.
Jan 29, 2013
85 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver
FYI these are old models, especially the handheld one.
Sep 22, 2010
337 posts
199 upvotes
Milton
Rogido wrote: FWIW, I was at a vacuum store once, and the owner said Dysons are over-rated and not worth the trouble. The main issue appears to be the warranty and repair process when they break down, not so much performance out of the box.
Did they give you other alternatives to Dyson that would work just as good if not better? Probably for half the price.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
6103 posts
6790 upvotes
Caledonia, ON
Rogido wrote: FWIW, I was at a vacuum store once, and the owner said Dysons are over-rated and not worth the trouble. The main issue appears to be the warranty and repair process when they break down, not so much performance out of the box.
I bought a Dyson over five years ago. I had two issues that were covered by warranty. Warranty service is amazing. I had to send in my unit but that was worth the excellent repair and service. The vacuum store man doesn't like Dyson because Dyson services their products themselves. No parts available for repair shops.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1075 posts
1746 upvotes
Toronto
I have had a Dyson upright for at least 2 years, and I can't complain. The suction doesn't seem to lose power when the canister has stuff, at least as far as I can tell. I use this for everywhere for proper cleaning about once a week.

I also have a Roomba for the main area which I run twice a week or so, but don't allow it go to into the 2 bedrooms as there are lots of things on the floor and it's a bit narrow.

I'd love to get this stick, just to quickly do the bedrooms, but I'd be embarrassed to say I have 3 vacuums.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2981 posts
324 upvotes
not bad if you prefer upright style
I personally like canister
RFD Damage...lost count

HEATWARE
eBay
Mar 2, 2006
491 posts
9 upvotes
PM'd the DC45 Slim at BestBuy. Total is around $322 taxes in. Thanks OP !
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3365 posts
3737 upvotes
Toronto
Why do people pay premium prices for mediocre products i.e. why do RFD members love to hate on Bose and Monster but give Dyson a pass?
Sep 22, 2010
337 posts
199 upvotes
Milton
Whats your recommendation on a "superior" product then? Im genuinely interested if there are alternative brands/ models that would perform similar or better to these
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5679 upvotes
VANCOUVER
KC29 wrote: Did they give you other alternatives to Dyson that would work just as good if not better? Probably for half the price.
I think they mainly sold Miele, Rowenta, Hoover. But they didn't recommend one, because I was there to get my ancient Bay brand vacuum fixed!
Melkor wrote: The vacuum store man doesn't like Dyson because Dyson services their products themselves. No parts available for repair shops.
That definitely crossed my mind! I guess the guy was trying to make the point that with Dyson you have no option when it comes to repairs. You'd have to ship it back to Dyson, rather than take it to a local authorized dealer.
May 28, 2013
490 posts
378 upvotes
Richmond, BC
Solsearchin1 wrote: The DC42 isn't really hot. It's been in the 399$ price range for a while, at many retailers. It's been even lower @ 249$ when it was discontinued. I think the refurb DC66 is a better deal, no?

http://www.dysoncanada.ca/en-CA/refurbi ... /dc66.aspx
I'm in the market for a Dyson, can anybody chime in on if getting a refurb is worth the hassle?
Jul 10, 2009
99 posts
129 upvotes
Ontario
KC29 wrote: Whats your recommendation on a "superior" product then? Im genuinely interested if there are alternative brands/ models that would perform similar or better to these
Hoover Platinum LiNX BH50010 is very good, (though not as good) and less then half the price. We got ours in the US, not sure if it is in Canada yet.
Sep 22, 2010
337 posts
199 upvotes
Milton
vrej wrote: Hoover Platinum LiNX BH50010 is very good, (though not as good) and less then half the price. We got ours in the US, not sure if it is in Canada yet.
Checked it out on amazon.ca $199 not a bad price and God reviews as well.

Will do a little more research but thanks for the suggestion
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
1541 posts
763 upvotes
T Dot
Owns this vacuum for a few years now, it's been nothing but awesome!