[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
1166 posts
825 upvotes
Land of Oil & Ga…

TheCubeNet - 500GB/1TB/2TB ($5/$7.50/$14) Block Fall 2019 Super Specials

Deal Link:
For those of us who still do use Usenet, TheCubeNet has some good block prices as part of their Fall 2019 Super Special.
Ends in 4 days.

25 replies
May 3, 2019
36 posts
247 upvotes
Sorry for noob question, what is the purpose of this service. why we need this in normal household usage. is it beneficial for any purpose or it is strictly for BitTorrent or Kodi/IPTV purposes only.
is 2TB block means, they provide us 2TB storage in cloud for our files permanently?
Apr 7, 2007
676 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
I have the $4.99/mth unlimited from like 6-7 years ago but think I’m going to switch to the 2TB block at this price. I download maybe 50-60GB/mth.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1772 posts
91 upvotes
cool5aab wrote: Sorry for noob question, what is the purpose of this service. why we need this in normal household usage. is it beneficial for any purpose or it is strictly for BitTorrent or Kodi/IPTV purposes only.
is 2TB block means, they provide us 2TB storage in cloud for our files permanently?
Has nothing to do with BitTorrent or Kodi/IPTV. Usenet precedes BitTorrent as a way to share information. The block sale is for bandwidth. You would to use an indexer and a downloader in conjunction to find and get information, respectively. Most people use automated processes on a NAS or computer to handle downloading. You can use Kodi/Plex/etc to watch material.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2018
1140 posts
1092 upvotes
Blainville, QC
cool5aab wrote: Sorry for noob question, what is the purpose of this service. why we need this in normal household usage. is it beneficial for any purpose or it is strictly for BitTorrent or Kodi/IPTV purposes only.
See: https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/faq
Jul 7, 2005
575 posts
150 upvotes
Thanks!

Not really needed for normal household usage, just another means of getting "stuff" .... between torrent/nzbs/xdcc I have most angles covered when looking for "stuff" lol
Aug 31, 2011
327 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
GiOBoY wrote: FYI - Highwinds network as the backbone
What's the alternative to Highwinds? I was with one alternative giganews for a long time and they don't live up to the hype. Couple of years ago they started missing parts and chunks of postings.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1772 posts
91 upvotes
boomix wrote: What's the alternative to Highwinds? I was with one alternative giganews for a long time and they don't live up to the hype. Couple of years ago they started missing parts and chunks of postings.
Have been pretty happy with Astraweb and Supernews.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2982 posts
1585 upvotes
GiOBoY wrote: FYI - Highwinds network as the backbone
The non-HW backbones are usually worse.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2982 posts
1585 upvotes
The counter seems to be reset! 5 more days.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
comicbookguy wrote: Astraweb
There's a name I haven't heard in a decade....
bogolisk wrote: The non-HW backbones are usually worse.
What? Highwinds is HUGELY delete happy.
This is the first time I've ever heard this.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2982 posts
1585 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: There's a name I haven't heard in a decade....

What? Highwinds is HUGELY delete happy.
This is the first time I've ever heard this.
That's what I believed until I switched from Cube to NGD as my main with Farm blocks.

Many NZBs are not even on NGD and Farm in first place. No need to happily delete articles if they are not even there.

I'll try to switch back to Cube this BF. I'd rather pay 40/year for Cube than 30/year for NGD. Unfortunately, my NGD sub (17 for 6months) won't expire till Jan.
Sep 3, 2005
49 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
bogolisk wrote: I'll try to switch back to Cube this BF. I'd rather pay 40/year for Cube than 30/year for NGD. Unfortunately, my NGD sub (17 for 6months) won't expire till Jan.
Why would Cube be better than NGD since both pull from HW backbone according to https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/providers
NGD uses the UsenetExpress backbone but UsenetExpress apparently pulls from HW according to the wiki?

What would be the best provider to go along with NGD? I was thinking about grabbing one that follows NTD takedowns since NGD follows DMCA. Maybe Eweka?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2982 posts
1585 upvotes
unknownshadow wrote: Why would Cube be better than NGD since both pull from HW backbone according to https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/providers
NGD uses the UsenetExpress backbone but UsenetExpress apparently pulls from HW according to the wiki?
Except in real life, I have Linux ISOs that failed 100% on NGD but completed 100% on Cube.
Sep 3, 2005
49 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
bogolisk wrote: Except in real life, I have Linux ISOs that failed 100% on NGD but completed 100% on Cube.
Interesting. Can't argue with the real life stats. Obviously the wiki isn't correct showing that both Cube and NGD pull from HW backbone then. Maybe I will grab a 2TB block to try out alongside of NGD.
Sep 3, 2005
49 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Actually I just did some testing and found articles failing on NGD that actually work fine on UsenetExpress so whatever NGD are pulling from UsenetExpress is actually just a subset of what they really have available.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
bogolisk wrote: That's what I believed until I switched from Cube to NGD as my main with Farm blocks.

Many NZBs are not even on NGD and Farm in first place. No need to happily delete articles if they are not even there.
Weird. Fragmentation within Highwinds? Maybe one or the other is only subbing to a subset of newsgroups maybe?
I'm on NewsDemon myself and haven't touched farm at all this month so maybe they're not that delete happy....

To be fair, the only real big provider left is Highwinds. I only really used others to "fill in" when something was broken there.
Mar 31, 2017
282 posts
262 upvotes
bogolisk wrote: Except in real life, I have Linux ISOs that failed 100% on NGD but completed 100% on Cube.
unknownshadow wrote: Interesting. Can't argue with the real life stats. Obviously the wiki isn't correct showing that both Cube and NGD pull from HW backbone then. Maybe I will grab a 2TB block to try out alongside of NGD.
death_hawk wrote: Weird. Fragmentation within Highwinds? Maybe one or the other is only subbing to a subset of newsgroups maybe?
I'm on NewsDemon myself and haven't touched farm at all this month so maybe they're not that delete happy....

To be fair, the only real big provider left is Highwinds. I only really used others to "fill in" when something was broken there.
NGD become independent a while ago. Also it’s retention is not that great for now. As per Reddit they are back filling from usenet express.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
Capindy wrote: NGD become independent a while ago.
Really? Neat.

Also I have to wonder how they're making any money.
I know what it costs for large scale storage. Bandwidth is cheaper than dirt nowadays so that's not a huge expense, but if you want to have any sort of "local" content you're talking about hundreds of terabytes which even at the cheapest levels isn't cheap.
I couldn't imagine investing hundreds of thousands of dollars just for $30/person/year in revenue that'll probably jump ship to the next guy for $29/year next year.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)