Computers & Electronics

Is there an Android equivalent of an iPod ?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2018 1:40 am
Tags:
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes

Is there an Android equivalent of an iPod ?

My daughter has been using one of our old phones as an ipd like device and it finally kicked the bucket today. Is there an Android equivalent now? She is way too young for a phone but likes listening to music on hers. I have considered getting just a cheap smart phone and never activating it but thought I would check first.

Thanks
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
That actually wouldn't be a bad idea, specifically since she would still be able to use the phone to dial 911 in the case of an emergency. If you check out Value Village or some other thrift stores, you maybe able to score a phone for next to nothing and then add a memory card for capacity.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Super strokey wrote: My daughter has been using one of our old phones as an ipd like device and it finally kicked the bucket today. Is there an Android equivalent now? She is way too young for a phone but likes listening to music on hers. I have considered getting just a cheap smart phone and never activating it but thought I would check first.

Thanks
Nowadays a phone has huge memory. My Huawei cheapo Mate SE has 64 plus sd card 256 Gb of storage. That can accommodate huge library of MP3 and video too.
There is zero need to carry 2 devices at all.
A great one, more expensive, is LG V20 with a separate DAC built in amplifier too. I doubt iPod can match in size , convenience and sound quality
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7673 posts
10975 upvotes
Scarbs
The only devices that come to mind are Fiio players. If we loosen up the criteria and include Apple products, you have the iPod Touch as a great candidate. Otherwise, a cheap phone may be a better choice.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/search_r ... iio+player
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Jul 9, 2016
194 posts
93 upvotes
Barrie
Check out Kijiji. You can usually pickup an older android or iphone for around $50. Good luck.
Dec 23, 2017
33 posts
14 upvotes
Maybe try the FiiO, it is a chinese flac player.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Is there a particular reason you want an Android players? Is it to play apps or something? If you just want a music player there are devices out there for sure. Advantages of them is that they should be cheaper, lighter and the battery should last loads longer. I've personally never seen and Android MP3 players, but I'm sure something out there exists.

As for phones, you could look around to see if you can find a blacklisted device since you'll never need to activate it, you might be able to find one of those devices cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7800 posts
1611 upvotes
Toronto
If she is use to an iPhone. Then get a used older gen iPod touch off here or Kijiji. They are pretty much an iphone without the phone feature.

Dirt cheap and she is already use to the interface. Uses her current existing account.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Yeah you could just get a phone. Put it in airplane mode and that will prevent cell signals as well as battery drain. Plus as someone else mentioned it could come in handy one day to call 911, or use GPS (presuming it's a phone with standalone GPS), regardless of how young she is.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote: Is there a particular reason you want an Android players? Is it to play apps or something? If you just want a music player there are devices out there for sure. Advantages of them is that they should be cheaper, lighter and the battery should last loads longer. I've personally never seen and Android MP3 players, but I'm sure something out there exists.

As for phones, you could look around to see if you can find a blacklisted device since you'll never need to activate it, you might be able to find one of those devices cheap.
We actually have a bunch invested in the eco system already. She wants something for apps, music, Netflix, stuff like that. She has a tablet already but she likes the smaller device more as it is more convenient.

Thanks for the feedback folks.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Yeah you could just get a phone. Put it in airplane mode and that will prevent cell signals as well as battery drain. Plus as someone else mentioned it could come in handy one day to call 911, or use GPS (presuming it's a phone with standalone GPS), regardless of how young she is.
What phones have standalone GPS? Would a nexus 6p? I ask as I am selling one but it might make sense just to replace that battery instead.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
1332 posts
783 upvotes
Ottawa
Super strokey wrote: What phones have standalone GPS? Would a nexus 6p? I ask as I am selling one but it might make sense just to replace that battery instead.
I don't know of any phone that doesn't have a GPS chip
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes
yow2kvil wrote: I don't know of any phone that doesn't have a GPS chip
I must be confused. My kids tried pokemon go on their old device, which had GPS but it kept saying there was no GPS. It was attached via a hotspot too for data.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
1332 posts
783 upvotes
Ottawa
Super strokey wrote: I must be confused. My kids tried pokemon go on their old device, which had GPS but it kept saying there was no GPS. It was attached via a hotspot too for data.
What was their old device?

Android has various settings for location mode. They could have had the GPS location setting set to off.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Super strokey wrote: I must be confused. My kids tried pokemon go on their old device, which had GPS but it kept saying there was no GPS. It was attached via a hotspot too for data.
It's also possible the phone was still trying to lock onto the GPS signal. It can take a long time to get a proper lock without assisted GPS(no cell tower triangulation)
Mar 26, 2008
563 posts
282 upvotes
yeah, getting an android phone to be used as an android 'touch' is the way to go. what's your budget? for around 100$ you can get an lg g3, which has a 1440p screen.
Apr 22, 2014
26 posts
11 upvotes
Markham, ON
If your child is really too young for phone, while looking for cheap mint (no major crack on screen) android phone, make sure to grab replaceable battery so the phone can last couple year more if we don't know the charge of used phones (tho most replacement batteries are already below full capacity from storage degradation.)
Oct 27, 2015
91 posts
29 upvotes
Winnipeg
BritishColumbian wrote:
Boo! Hiss! This isn't 2005!
They are still being sold. Check out Newegg.ca, Amazon.ca, even Bestbuy.ca. My daughter, who has a nice Xaiomi, prefers my old Sansa Clip for her tunes while being active because it is so compact with easy and logical controls plus it still sounds good. In fact, I can't get it back. Face Savouring Delicious Food
"Wanna cook?"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)