Site Comments & Suggestions

Is there ANY criteria for posting a hot deal ? Lot of deals are not hot.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2016 11:32 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jun 22, 2016
43 posts
2 upvotes

Is there ANY criteria for posting a hot deal ? Lot of deals are not hot.

Shouldn't some Mod decide whether a deal is hot or not ?

Some not so hot deals are posted, some are just regular prices posted as hot deals. Should the mod delete or move these threads ? I mean bread is $ 2.39 ( regular price $ 2.49 ) is not exactly a hot deal.

There has to be some standards or criteria or rules for that.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6680 posts
6578 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I think 2.39 for a loaf of bread is flaming hot.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Sep 27, 2003
10443 posts
2872 upvotes
Newmarket
We are not responsible for determining what is hot vs. not...the community determines that by posting threads and then responding to those threads (in accordance with our rules obviously).

In my personal opinion, there are very few "flaming hot" deals anymore. Long gone are the days of the mid-2000s when crazy deals were posted here. I typically observe now that whenever something "goes on sale", that alone is enough to be qualified for our Hot Deals section. I wish it weren't the case, but that's how the world is now. If we stuck to allowing only truly hot deals, that section of the site would be much quieter than it is today.
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 30, 2007
545 posts
127 upvotes
I've been saying this for some time now. Not so much that mods can decide, because thats opinion, but that the OP should actually give it some thought. I've complained about people posting 5% off deals or $50 off a $2000 item and people flame me. I mean if 5% off an item is a hot deal than every item in every flyer is a hot deal.
Sep 27, 2003
10443 posts
2872 upvotes
Newmarket
BernardMarx wrote: I think Hot Deals could be "moderated" a little more aggressively, though. For example, Vizio just released a bunch of TV sets which are being sold by Costco. The thing is, they are being sold at exactly MSRP, so I fail to see how that is a "deal."

costco-ca-vizio-p50-c1-1499-99-a-2008587/#post26340163
The community has the ability to self-moderate. If a deal is not hot, ignore the thread. It'll quickly fall out of sight. Unless strict rules & qualifications were put in place to define "what is hot", there is nothing for the mods to moderate in that regard.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25459 posts
4605 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: The community has the ability to self-moderate. If a deal is not hot, ignore the thread. It'll quickly fall out of sight. Unless strict rules & qualifications were put in place to define "what is hot", there is nothing for the mods to moderate in that regard.
Nailed it. I've been saying it for years. If people would stop complaining about those deals in those threads, they wouldn't be bumped to the top repeatedly and would fall off the first page very quickly. Instead, everyone feels the need to post how crappy the deal is and the thread remains for days. The process for "moderating" hot deals is already in place, but it relies on the community to ignore cold deals rather than constantly bump them.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13897 posts
8991 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
What if.......what if, Op of that cold deal keeps bumping a cold deal thread?
Shaner wrote: Nailed it. I've been saying it for years. If people would stop complaining about those deals in those threads, they wouldn't be bumped to the top repeatedly and would fall off the first page very quickly. Instead, everyone feels the need to post how crappy the deal is and the thread remains for days. The process for "moderating" hot deals is already in place, but it relies on the community to ignore cold deals rather than constantly bump them.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25459 posts
4605 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: What if.......what if, Op of that cold deal keeps bumping a cold deal thread?
Then we may get involved
Sep 27, 2003
10443 posts
2872 upvotes
Newmarket
Cheapo-Findo wrote: What if.......what if, Op of that cold deal keeps bumping a cold deal thread?
Depends on the context and reason for bump. If the bump posts violate our hot deal rules, then we could action it. However, if the OP is simply contributing to the active conversation, we may not action it.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13897 posts
8991 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Aye!
WorldIRC wrote: Depends on the context and reason for bump. If the bump posts violate our hot deal rules, then we could action it. However, if the OP is simply contributing to the active conversation, we may not action it.

Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14817 posts
27890 upvotes
Scarborough
Deals are extremely subjective. What's a terrible deal to someone might be good to someone else. What we are working on improving is identifying the more popular deals and making those easier for users to find. There should be some major improvements around this coming in the next few months.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13897 posts
8991 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Can you implement some sort of heat map for deals?
TomRFD wrote: Deals are extremely subjective. What's a terrible deal to someone might be good to someone else. What we are working on improving is identifying the more popular deals and making those easier for users to find. There should be some major improvements around this coming in the next few months.

Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14817 posts
27890 upvotes
Scarborough
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Can you implement some sort of heat map for deals?
Heat maps won't really work for forum threads but we're working on a better system than what exists right now (which isn't much).
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Banned
Feb 25, 2016
307 posts
85 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: Unless strict rules & qualifications were put in place to define "what is hot", there is nothing for the mods to moderate in that regard.
Let me suggest some heuristics:

1. Price >= MSRP -> Not a deal, should be moved to relevant discussion forum
2. MSRP * 0.7 < Price < MSRP * 0.8 (i.e. between 20% and 30% discount) AND |Saving| > $20 -> Deal.
3. Price < MSRP *0.7 AND |Saving| > $50 -> Hot Deal
4. |Saving| > $150 -> Deal (usually)
5. |Saving| > $250 -> Hot Deal (usually)

All of which can easily be automated.

Also, create a forum for "potential deal" postings, into which all newly posted deals go. Postings require 10 net-positive votes to be promoted to the deal/hot deal forum, depending into what category they fall, above.

And task moderators with maintaining the integrity of the deals forum, instead of policing word- or thought-crimes. Maybe get rid of the discussion fora, they are distracting to the mission of the site. Spin that stuff off, onto a separate site.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4117 upvotes
Ottawa
One thing I'd like to add to get rid of some crap;

If a hot deal post doesn't have at least one of the following fields populated when it's created:

Deal URL
Sale Price
Discount

...then it's not a hot deal and doesn't belong there. It should be mandatory one of those fields be filled out to post in there. I can't think of a single thread or exception that legitimately belongs there that doesn't have 1 of the above.

Too much garbage slipping through the cracks lately, especially dupes that are already in shopping discussion.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain