Cell Phones

Are there any decent phones for purchase outright? (no expensive monthly plans)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2021 4:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
4113 posts
1989 upvotes
BC

Are there any decent phones for purchase outright? (no expensive monthly plans)

Costco still has a cpl Moto G plays etc but those are pretty low end.
If I'm not wanting to sign up for any 2 year plans where else should I be looking to score an outright purchase on a new phone?
8 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20619 posts
6066 upvotes
GTA
Google store, Costco, staples, Amazon, RFD BST, B&H photo.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5534 posts
4957 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
coriolis wrote: Google store, Costco, staples, Amazon, RFD BST, B&H photo.
You wouldn't happen to know if Costco in-store has more phone selections than the website would you? I just broke my Samsung S20 :(
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20619 posts
6066 upvotes
GTA
Melkor wrote: You wouldn't happen to know if Costco in-store has more phone selections than the website would you? I just broke my Samsung S20 :(
Usually there is 1 or 2 in a blister pack but they're usually the low end Motorola ones from what I recall
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1554 posts
1042 upvotes
Manitoba
Marketplace, lots of peeps dumping their perfectly fine phone for new ones.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
4113 posts
1989 upvotes
BC
TehRFDAnomaly wrote: Marketplace, lots of peeps dumping their perfectly fine phone for new ones.
second hand Christmas presents are no bueno
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1554 posts
1042 upvotes
Manitoba
Feegus wrote: second hand Christmas presents are no bueno
There are lots of BNIB though...people getting new plans but keeping their old phones. Winking Face
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7123 posts
3680 upvotes
Debtario
If you're going for a used phone/BNIB phone from a stranger, watch out the IMEI isn't blacklisted. Even if it is clean at the time of sale, there is no guarantee that it won't get blacklisted in the future.

Depends what you are after, but there's usually a deal here and there on phones, sometimes older gen flagships from the states etc. Do your homework when buying internationally, might be carrier locked.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23091 posts
4710 upvotes
Toronto
Bestbuy open boxes are another good option!

Stock is really hit n miss but if you are lucky - there are some good finds there. Or if you are programming savvy, you can run a screenscraping script to check the webpage & notify you if it gets re-stocked....

A recent example - Iphone 12 Pro Max 128Gb for $999.99 - that was a decent deal if you are into Iphones

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)