Computers & Electronics

Are there any "good" prebuilts with all standard parts?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2021 8:09 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 18, 2018
109 posts
98 upvotes

Are there any "good" prebuilts with all standard parts?

Just about every pre-built machine I've looked at recently I've been put off by something, usually odd form factors coupled with weird undersized and underpowered PSUs. Are there any prebuilts out there that have standard sized, user replaceable PSUs?
7 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23420 posts
5409 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think there are tbh - Dell, HP, Compaq etc - they all use something funky / proprietary. Mainly seeing the odd PSU shape / PSU connector..................weird RAM & timings that don't play nice with other RAM timings etc.....

If you are to go the "pre-built" route, probably best to get a PC store to build you one with the parts you want + a bit more $$ for their labour....

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7291 posts
2293 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tonnie wrote: Just about every pre-built machine I've looked at recently I've been put off by something, usually odd form factors coupled with weird undersized and underpowered PSUs. Are there any prebuilts out there that have standard sized, user replaceable PSUs?
look at brands like ABS on Newegg and CyberpowerPC. All standard parts unlike from brands like HP, Acer, Dell, etc.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
2391 posts
1671 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Your best best is to go through a system integrator, like ABS, Cyberpower, ibuypower or NZXT. You can pick and choose every component, and they assemble it for you.

You can also do that at Memory Express or Canada Computers, you pick every component off the shelf and they put it together for you for a fee.

The problem with OEM pre-builts, like Alienware, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, etc, is that they are not transparent on the types of components they use in their prebuilts, they only provide a generic spec list, and they WILL cheap out on a lot of the components. They will also often use proprietary components like connectors, motherboards, PSUs, etc. Their systems will be less expandable in the future due to their proprietary nature. Cooling is also often an issue with OEM prebuilts as they usually cheap out on case fans and favor looks over function with crap cases with poor airflow, Dell and Alienware being very bad at this in general.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9958 posts
4240 upvotes
Vaughan
ji2o0k wrote: I don't think there are tbh - Dell, HP, Compaq etc - they all use something funky / proprietary. Mainly seeing the odd PSU shape / PSU connector..................weird RAM & timings that don't play nice with other RAM timings etc.....

If you are to go the "pre-built" route, probably best to get a PC store to build you one with the parts you want + a bit more $$ for their labour....
Forgot to mention Acer. Crying Face

I think pre-builts from non brands are using non proprietary parts.
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12731 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto
does CC not sell pre-built?
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure