Cell Phones

Are There Any One-Time Prepaid Phone Services?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2020 9:14 pm
Dec 20, 2014
128 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Are There Any One-Time Prepaid Phone Services?

The only reason I would want to keep my phone number is for keeping my email and hosting accounts through the security checks (you can't login sometimes unless you can confirm a code they text or call to your phone number)

Is there any plan where I can pay something like $20 for a few hundred minutes and some texts, but that I wouldn't have to pay every month and that that balance would not expire? I want to transfer my number to that service if so.

Thanks
Last edited by Dubstep on Mar 4th, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
2157 posts
3003 upvotes
Speakout wireless ran by 7-11 with a network operated by Roger.

The expire is 1 year. Longest in Canada. Incoming text is free. So you can fill it up with $20 and last up to a year. They do allow transferring phone numbers in.
Dec 20, 2014
128 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cucumference wrote: Speakout wireless ran by 7-11 with a network operated by Roger.

The expire is 1 year. Longest in Canada. Incoming text is free. So you can fill it up with $20 and last up to a year. They do allow transferring phone numbers in.
This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you! Could texts and calls also be received out of country?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
2157 posts
3003 upvotes
Dubstep wrote: This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you! Could texts and calls also be received out of country?
No 7-11 Speakout does not have roaming, at all.
Dec 20, 2014
128 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cucumference wrote: No 7-11 Speakout does not have roaming, at all.
Shoot, I need something I can use internationally since I plan to become a globetrotter :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
Dubstep wrote: Shoot, I need something I can use internationally since I plan to become a globetrotter :)
If you want cheap and will work internationally, you need a VoIP service. I use Google Voice. It is a US number, but can receive codes from most Canadian banks as well as other services.

I also use TextMeUp that has Canadian numbers. I've received codes from RBC. I'm not sure about other banks though.
Dec 20, 2014
128 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto, ON
batcave wrote: If you want cheap and will work internationally, you need a VoIP service. I use Google Voice. It is a US number, but can receive codes from most Canadian banks as well as other services.

I need to have cellular service outside the country, just to get notifications like a pager. I'll be in Cuba and maybe elsewhere, so constant VOIP is out of the picture. What a shame for Canada that we STILL have such limited options in 2020. I'm okay with topping up every year, not having to waste money every month even though being a minimal user.

I remember I had an international sim with a really long number, I would get phone calls and text messages (free), and i wouldn't be billed if i didn't answer them. When I'd get a notification, I'd go to an area with WiFi and call using Fongo. I miss those times.
Jul 6, 2017
150 posts
95 upvotes
Dubstep wrote: I remember I had an international sim with a really long number, I would get phone calls and text messages (free), and i wouldn't be billed if i didn't answer them. When I'd get a notification, I'd go to an area with WiFi and call using Fongo. I miss those times.
Check out the "Roaming SIMs for Travelers" sticky thread in this forum for stuff like that. Or try this wiki.
May 22, 2008
181 posts
173 upvotes
If you can leave a phone in Canada connected to wifi maybe have it set up with something w/ speakout + pushbullet and check in for SMS via internet?
Blarg
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
Dubstep wrote: I need to have cellular service outside the country, just to get notifications like a pager. I'll be in Cuba and maybe elsewhere, so constant VOIP is out of the picture. What a shame for Canada that we STILL have such limited options in 2020. I'm okay with topping up every year, not having to waste money every month even though being a minimal user.

I remember I had an international sim with a really long number, I would get phone calls and text messages (free), and i wouldn't be billed if i didn't answer them. When I'd get a notification, I'd go to an area with WiFi and call using Fongo. I miss those times.
The VoIP is only one part of the answer. The VoIP is useable even if you only have WiFi. The other is having inexpensive service that roams. To me, having data is where it's at when traveling. I want data access anyway. Also, there is no need to remember more phone numbers. If the service you need a call or text from doesn't do international numbers or your cellular service doesn't work or roam in that particular country or area, you don't have to worry because WiFi can help you out because you have a VoIP number.

You won't likely find any roaming service from Canada that meets your needs if you travel often. I use four or five different SIM cards that cover me where I travel. Even when I'm in Canada I'm roaming because my roaming data is cheaper than anything in Canada.

Like the other poster wrote, check out the roaming SIMs for travelers thread for ideas.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)