Cell Phones

Are there any phones to look forward to?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2020 9:59 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5761 posts
1928 upvotes

Are there any phones to look forward to?

With the oneplus 8 being over 1000 it makes no sense to get it instead of the samsung s20 series. I'm guessing hopefully they fix all the camera problems with the noto 20+ or maybe the new iphone se 2020 or iphone 12?

That being said having very small hands, I find the s20 and s20+ to be unwieldly. I don't get why all my gfs prefer to have big hunking 6"+ plus phones when they can barely grip it with both hands and then they complain when they get shattered. I would not pay extra to get accidental protection and I always wrap it up in a case.

The se2020 is an ok size for me but I worry that the camera is technology from the iphone 8. I am big on the selfie cam and enjoy taking pictures and videos from both ends so the chinese phones wouldn't suffice even though I like their size.

Any guidance as to what to do?
31 replies
Dec 4, 2017
487 posts
196 upvotes
Among flagship phones, the Pixel 4 is a bit smaller than the Samsung S20. If you want something like flagship camera quality with small handset size, there really isn't much selection other than the SE 2020.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2058 posts
1158 upvotes
North Vancouver
I'm waiting for the newly launched LG V60 to come down in price and then I will grab one of those.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1247 posts
330 upvotes
Toronto
vivibaby wrote: The se2020 is an ok size for me but I worry that the camera is technology from the iphone 8. I am big on the selfie cam and enjoy taking pictures and videos from both ends
The iPhone SE 2020 is basically a refresh of the iPhone 8 after 2.5 years. I can't imagine Apple not giving some upgrade to the camera after 2.5 years? I hope it is the current main camera from iPhone 11 with Night Mode, but I am afraid Apple may cheap out and give it the XR camera without Night Mode. I guess we will find out soon enough (weeks if not days).

But I can imagine Apple cheap out and maintain the same selfie cam from iPhone 8. (The newer iPhones have newer TrueDepth front camera system; not sure they can be adapted to the old chassis? And I doubt Apple will source new parts for the SE -- SE is all about reusing existing parts to minimize cost for this "low cost" model.)

UPDATE: iPhone SE 2020 just announced. NO NIGHT MODE Smiling Face With HornsSmiling Face With HornsDisappointed But Relieved Face (sounds like the XR camera but just my quick impression)
Last edited by ssiu on Apr 15th, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2537 posts
746 upvotes
GTA
Rumour iPhone 12 will have a 5.4” model. I really hope so.
Jul 28, 2009
469 posts
39 upvotes
Looking to see what Pixel 4a does. Lot of phones these days are overkill for majority of users. Good camera, good battery and quality everyday software is all what most need. Snapdragon this and A1300 that. What are you even going to do with those chips on these screens.

Oh yea that glass back and all fancy slippery materials on back of phone. Where again most people just put on a cover/case. My "premium" phone won't survive a day without a case. So slippery. The first few iphones i never put a case on and they held in the hand so well.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1797 posts
930 upvotes
Calgary
rabbit wrote: Xperia 1 (mark) II, if you're a camera fan.
sony-xperia-1-ii-2378246/
I'll reply with a quote from the OP:
That being said having very small hands, I find the s20 and s20+ to be unwieldly
Jan 16, 2020
5 posts
vivibaby, you sound like a very reasonable person compared to a lot of your friends!

I have the Pixel 3a XL, and it's a great phone with a great camera. I have medium size hands, and have never thought that it is too big. The 3a XL might be okay for your hands, too, but if not, the 3a probably would be good. In the US, they are both currently available at a discount since the 4a is expected soon.

If you want a brand new model vs the 1 year old 3a / 3a XL, I'll agree with what several others have said above, that the Pixel 4a might be a good fit.

However, I'd bet you'd also be fine with the iPhone SE 2020.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Good luck!
Jun 21, 2011
731 posts
81 upvotes
YYZ
I'm waiting for the note 20 ultra and will upgrade from s8 plus. I just hope that the spc offer will still be available
May 26, 2020
11 posts
4 upvotes
I hope Google has a BF sale this year on the new Pixel 4a. $400 sounds great for this phone.