Cell Phones

Are there any phones to look forward to?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2020 9:59 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1707 posts
261 upvotes
Alberta
Sounds like the Pixel 5 will come in at a competitive price without flagship hardware. I'm considering that.
Nov 11, 2006
157 posts
74 upvotes
East Kootenays
Jimboski wrote: Is it me or are people (myself included) over phones being released nowadays? I used to upgrade bi-yearly but now it's just whenever my phone becomes unbearably slow.
Still owning the likes of the 2017 Pixel 2 Xl, and 2018 P20 & Pro, still finding them perfectly relevant/capable in today's settings. See little point in upgrading other than to own a device that is shiny and new. OK maybe a fresh start on the support front yet Android is still very hit-n-miss here (device/ OEM dependant), so no guarantee I'd be any better off.

So yeah think you are right and definitely not alone in your sediments. Besides, price is a big factor now on the higher end making upgrading every few months, or under two years, not all that feasible. In most use cases doubtful one will see massive increases in productivity or features to make the jump warranted.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1101 posts
1089 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I would look for a S10e. Last proper small flagship. I know its older but you save a ton of money and not lose a lot.
Koodo $40 10GB!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18086 posts
2020 upvotes
Woodbridge
Jimboski wrote: Is it me or are people (myself included) over phones being released nowadays? I used to upgrade bi-yearly but now it's just whenever my phone becomes unbearably slow.
I'm somewhat over it too. I sold my two flagships (Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max & Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus). I used the money for my 2020 Apple MacBook Air (i5, Gold) and "downgraded" to Huawei P30 Pro, Samsung Galaxy A71 and Apple iPhone XR.

Everything changed after came close to buying the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra while in the Philippines, I put a deposit down but it was delayed. It made me ask myself, WTF am I doing?!? This is why I didn't pick up the OnePlus 8 Pro but I'm done with buying the latest.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
May 17, 2008
210 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
SureshA720227 wrote: I would look for a S10e. Last proper small flagship. I know its older but you save a ton of money and not lose a lot.
I actually prefer something larger like S10 Lite. And it's not expensive by flagship standard.
Jun 21, 2011
731 posts
81 upvotes
YYZ
Grand Master B wrote: I haven't upgraded since 2016.

iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Im the same. Debating between the 12 pro max and note 20 ultra both out around August
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1865 posts
516 upvotes
Scarborough
Xperia 5 II when it get announced/released in the fall?
Koodo
Tangerine
Simplii
Nov 24, 2008
143 posts
9 upvotes
Burlington
Either the iPhone 12 pro or iPhone 12 pro max.
Penalty Box
Mar 28, 2017
278 posts
153 upvotes
I still have a blackberry and I just don't see anything worth upgrading to. Nothing beats a keyboard.
Nov 9, 2009
660 posts
96 upvotes
Picton, ON
Since my Note 4 died, have reverted to my Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Better camera is the Note 4. Am wanting a new phone with wonderful picture capabilities such as the Sony 1 Mark ii.
It's a thin line that separates a gourmet from a glutton.
Nov 25, 2009
386 posts
139 upvotes
Terrace
wow yall are using ancient phones lol
Nov 2, 2004
228 posts
110 upvotes
I'm rocking a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro that I bought new on Aliexpress in 2018 for $219. Running Pixel Experience 9.0 on it and it's going strong and lightning fast. Battery still great and can go 2 days on a full charge if I forget. Would love a new phone with a crazy good camera, but just can't bring myself to spend the money when this phone is still totally capable. First Xiaomi phone and super impressed.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4114 posts
1326 upvotes
GTA
As much as I keep being disappointed by the Pixel hardware, I want to go back to stock android soon. I still like my S10+ but my brother got a 3a XL fairly recently and even though it's subpar hardware, the software experience is just smoother and nicer to use. Maybe they'll learn from the A series and their prices won't stay ridiculous