Credit Cards

Are there any point cards that you cannot churn?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2018 10:58 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 15, 2017
464 posts
190 upvotes

Are there any point cards that you cannot churn?

Despite terms saying that you cannot get repeat welcome points....I have not come across any that I have not received repeat points for.eg.All the Amex points cards,TD,CIBC,MBNA,Marriott,Chase,RBC,Scotiabank........

I know that some folk have been declined,mostly thru their own actions causing the decline(eg.phoning the FI re.missing points) ....but are there any cards where the terms are 100% enforced?
20 replies
Nov 23, 2015
778 posts
478 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have held a multitude of cards over the years and I have never heard of a card where the one-time-only terms are strictly enforced. Some cards require you to wait longer than others, but that's about it.
Dec 5, 2009
366 posts
170 upvotes
fadetogrey wrote: Despite terms saying that you cannot get repeat welcome points....I have not come across any that I have not received repeat points for.eg.All the Amex points cards,TD,CIBC,MBNA,Marriott,Chase,RBC,Scotiabank........

I know that some folk have been declined,mostly thru their own actions causing the decline(eg.phoning the FI re.missing points) ....but are there any cards where the terms are 100% enforced?
Amex cards in the US apparently strictly enforce the rule
Apr 28, 2012
957 posts
337 upvotes
QC
I woudln't know, I only churn churnable cards :)
FREE online credit reports
AMEX: The more you use it and request to pay by it, the more merchants will accept it.

AMEX Special bonuses : Gold 30K points ·· Platinum 60K ·· Biz Gold 40K FYF ·· Biz Platinum 60K ·· SPG 20K
[OP]
Jun 15, 2017
464 posts
190 upvotes
Flitox wrote: I woudln't know, I only churn churnable cards :)
As do I....including the one's who's terms say they aren't churnable Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Jun 15, 2017
464 posts
190 upvotes
wronguy wrote: SPG Amex
I've churned this many a time....despite the personal card terms
Mar 30, 2010
316 posts
167 upvotes
Calgary
Not a points card, but I just got the CIBC dividend infinite which was supposed to give bonus $200 in cash back and first year free for new cardholders. I’ve received neither. I was a secondary cardholder under my DH’s account which I assumed did not count since I wasn’t the primary. I also had a CIBC card over a decade ago. Not sure which of those counted against me but I didn’t get the benefits.
Jan 21, 2008
392 posts
244 upvotes
fadetogrey wrote: I've churned this many a time....despite the personal card terms

Good to know, I tried it last year and didn't get the bonus points, I called and they looked up my card history and told me It was for first time applicants and I had to eat the annual fee. I have successfully churned amex biz and gold tons of times, not sure it didn't work for me on the SPG, I will probably apply again and see what happens as it is a sweet bonus. Thanks!!
[OP]
Jun 15, 2017
464 posts
190 upvotes
gingersb wrote: Not a points card, but I just got the CIBC dividend infinite which was supposed to give bonus $200 in cash back and first year free for new cardholders. I’ve received neither. I was a secondary cardholder under my DH’s account which I assumed did not count since I wasn’t the primary. I also had a CIBC card over a decade ago. Not sure which of those counted against me but I didn’t get the benefits.
Did you call to inquire re.missng bonus?
Mar 30, 2010
316 posts
167 upvotes
Calgary
fadetogrey wrote: Did you call to inquire re.missng bonus?
The call Centre was less than helpful. I’m an imperial service customer and called my personal banker. He is bald to apply it manually for me and I should see it on my next statement.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1733 posts
1297 upvotes
qszwdxefc wrote: Amex cards in the US apparently strictly enforce the rule
As do many other cards in the US, but then again a lot of card churning in the US is about applying for new products, not the same ones over and over... because you know, they actually have more than a handful of cards worth a damn to apply for down there.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14490 posts
12424 upvotes
Going to the Moon
OP if you're churning for pts, once you use the points and cancel the card, you'll likely
  1. lose outstanding points balance if it's under a certain threshold
  2. at best cash out remaining points in cashback at an inferior payout rate

Perhaps this could be mitigated by doing a card downgrade/upgrade rather than a full blown churn (cancel, lose CL, sign up fresh again).
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Mar 7, 2012
187 posts
64 upvotes
WINNIPEG
BMO World Elite MC.
It's a one-and-done.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14490 posts
12424 upvotes
Going to the Moon
imdanrydell wrote: BMO World Elite MC.
It's a one-and-done.
What happens if you cancel? You can never get it back?
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5243 posts
1516 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty sure Amex Personal Gold is 1 shot according to T&C's

I know some people managed to get around it by using some other links Perkopolis or CPA but I think those loops are closed now.
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro | CCM Ribcor Trigger 3D/Bauer Supreme 1S LE
'18 Union Flite Pro Red | Bauer Supreme 2S Gloves
'08 K2 T1 | CCM Super Tacks AS1
[OP]
Jun 15, 2017
464 posts
190 upvotes
ProfessorChaos wrote: Pretty sure Amex Personal Gold is 1 shot according to T&C's

I know some people managed to get around it by using some other links Perkopolis or CPA but I think those loops are closed now.
Great example of a card that is churn able,despite the terms.I've had this card multiple times.The perkopolis enrolment still works,for FYF 25k points and only $500 spend in 1st 3 months.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1941 posts
752 upvotes
BMO WE
BMO Airmiles WE

Wanted to churn them for awhile, but everybody says they are not churnable... somebody, please tell me that everybody is wrong! :)
[OP]
Jun 15, 2017
464 posts
190 upvotes
mbmbkop wrote: BMO WE
BMO Airmiles WE

Wanted to churn them for awhile, but everybody says they are not churnable... somebody, please tell me that everybody is wrong! :)
I read on reddit,from one person, that both are churnable. Would be nice to get a few more to confirm.
Mar 7, 2012
187 posts
64 upvotes
WINNIPEG
imdanrydell wrote: BMO World Elite MC.
It's a one-and-done.
titaniumtux wrote: What happens if you cancel? You can never get it back?
Lots of reports over the years that the bonus just doesn't get paid out for your second card.