• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2022 8:45 am
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21701 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham

Is there any way to block a phone number that starts with 416###

I've been getting a ton of phone calls from phone numbers that have the first 6 digits of my phone number [with different last four]. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? Is there a way to block a call from a "sequence of numbers"?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
14 replies
Nov 24, 2010
242 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto
I get that all the time. I keep my settings in my phone to only ring when it's a number in my contacts. Anyone else can leave a message (but they never do because it's spam).
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2211 posts
1356 upvotes
"Should I Answer" app, allows you to add certain number you want to block. Once it's on the block list your phone won't ring.

You can see a timestamp in the app when they call you.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2310 posts
1655 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
gr8dlr wrote: I've been getting a ton of phone calls from phone numbers that have the first 6 digits of my phone number [with different last four]. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? Is there a way to block a call from a "sequence of numbers"?
It would help if you specified whether you need this for iOS or Android
Lucky Mobile $20/Month 3GB (unlimited at 128Kbps) further reduced by $5 / month per referral credit(s)
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21701 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
jay-em wrote: "Should I Answer" app, allows you to add certain number you want to block. Once it's on the block list your phone won't ring.

You can see a timestamp in the app when they call you.
I was adding the number to JUNK contact and I have junk set to silent.

My phone is Android.

I now just marked them to BLOCK now.

Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
It's a common tactic for spam callers using caller ID spoofing. They're not their actual phone numbers, but they pretend to be a number similar to yours with the idea that you might think it's a neighbour, etc. and thus more likely to answer it, vs. a number from another city/province/country.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4377 posts
1595 upvotes
they're legit phone # that's been spoofed... i've had picked up the phone once and the person on the other end was like "hi, you called me?" Now, when I see it with the same area code and exchange number, if I don't see an actual name on call display, I know it's spam. If it's a legit call, leave a voicemail.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Rogers EPP - $40 Canada/USA-wide + 6GB since 2018
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21701 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
First six digits spoofing -> I had six calls like this yesterday and maybe another six the day before....all out of the blue. So it was pissing me off bigtime.

It used to be one here and there.

Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11664 posts
6564 upvotes
Toronto
yeah, it’s quite annoying … all of the sudden, they start calling non stop.. many times a day and leaving those stupid messages that there is a warrant for my arrest and that my SIN has been suspended Thinking Face
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
4203 posts
2132 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I turned on call control in Koodo and it stopped scam calls
Deal Guru
Apr 6, 2005
11683 posts
2908 upvotes
Toronto
when I see its from the same exchange as mine... i pick up and blow air HARD into the phone and see what duct cleaning, mandarin message that I apparently have a package wants and hang up...if I let it ring to VM, its a pain just clear my VMs..I wish more mobile providers did call control as that for sure will stop this...sometimes they record your voice or claim they are from customer service ask how you are doing and if you say fine/ok they hang up call you back to play a message back saying you owe $XXX and here is your confirmation of the played back message of you saying ok/fine and you need to pay up or get arrested blah blah blah...

the problem with TELUS/Koodo's call control is if you get an automated message from the school that your kid didn't show up to class, that call gets rejected as I don't think you can allow certain numbers
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
boldventure wrote: I turned on call control in Koodo and it stopped scam calls
I turned my mine on to but still get them....I think all it does is alert that it might be spam but I don' t think it blocks it. The last few I got the spam alert didn't come on. Today a 1-855 called and I briefly saw Iowa show up and then disappear. The call seem to come in waves.

I basically don't pick up if a name doesn't show up. Today contractor scheduled to come by - he called from his cell but no name showed up so I didn't pick up (it didn't occur to me it would be him), didn't leave a message. He calls a while later and I ignore the call but this time he leaves a message, fortunately. People need to start leaving messages or sending a text given so many of us don't pick up.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2397 posts
575 upvotes
PM - VK3Q69
Ogata wrote: the problem with TELUS/Koodo's call control is if you get an automated message from the school that your kid didn't show up to class, that call gets rejected as I don't think you can allow certain numbers
There is an “accept” list for call control. You can add up to 25 numbers to this list and they will never get prompted by call control.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
4203 posts
2132 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hierophant wrote: I turned my mine on to but still get them....I think all it does is alert that it might be spam but I don' t think it blocks it. The last few I got the spam alert didn't come on. Today a 1-855 called and I briefly saw Iowa show up and then disappear. The call seem to come in waves.

I basically don't pick up if a name doesn't show up. Today contractor scheduled to come by - he called from his cell but no name showed up so I didn't pick up (it didn't occur to me it would be him), didn't leave a message. He calls a while later and I ignore the call but this time he leaves a message, fortunately. People need to start leaving messages or sending a text given so many of us don't pick up.
it prompts an instruction like pressing random number to continue to ring your phone so if a robo-call, it cannot follow the instructions or if a person like duct cleaning if the person is too lazy to follow the instruction he just hangs up. 100% for me I don't receive those calls anymore. You need to authorize some numbers that need not go through the instruction like some automated messages from school and others, family and others.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
boldventure wrote: it prompts an instruction like pressing random number to continue to ring your phone so if a robo-call, it cannot follow the instructions or if a person like duct cleaning if the person is too lazy to follow the instruction he just hangs up. 100% for me I don't receive those calls anymore. You need to authorize some numbers that need not go through the instruction like some automated messages from school and others, family and others.
I'm not sure if you're calling me/others lazy as your post is difficult to understand - if you are it is pretty presumptuous and ironic given your laziness of not using punctuation and grammar lol, but I don't get those options/instructions you speak of.