Shopping Discussion

Is there an Appliance shortage in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2021 10:02 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
4153 posts
4626 upvotes
Toronto

Is there an Appliance shortage in Canada?

Home depot deliveries are backed up almost 2 months from now ? Seems like a long time to get a fridge and stove....
18 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12574 upvotes
Markham
I ordered a pack of light bulbs on june 23 and haven't got shipping email
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
smartie wrote: I ordered a pack of light bulbs on june 23 and haven't got shipping email
This

Lol, it’s not just appliances that have been affected by Covid ... it’s everything.

Plenty of threads here on RFD ... regarding shipping & restocking delays

And as most things we Cdns buy ... originate outside of Canada ... either with Foreign Manufacturers or Cos here that are from somewheres else (like Home Depot, Lowe’s etc ) then waits for restocking are taking longer than average

And ... as Covid becomes an even greater concern Stateside ... I don’t think it’s gonna get better anytime soon
I predict, It’s gonna get worse in the months to come from anything coming in from the USA

BTW ... 2 months lead time for Appliances is not outrageous even during NON Covid Times (norm tends to run 2 to 8 weeks). Cuz rarely does a store have any stock on hand ... it’s all ordered in on an as needed basis.

Thing is though ... 2 months is just an estimate

Be prepared for possible delays ... and waiting a lot longer than that ... esp now during Covid
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12574 upvotes
Markham
PointsHubby wrote: This

Lol, it’s not just appliances that have been affected by Covid ... it’s everything.

Plenty of threads here on RFD ... regarding shipping & restocking delays

And as most things we Cdns buy ... originate outside of Canada ... either with Foreign Manufacturers or Cos here that are from somewheres else (like Home Depot, Lowe’s etc ) then waits for restocking are taking longer than average

And ... as Covid becomes an even greater concern Stateside ... I don’t think it’s gonna get better anytime soon
I predict, It’s gonna get worse in the months to come from anything coming in from the USA

BTW ... 2 months lead time for Appliances is not outrageous even during NON Covid Times (norm tends to run 2 to 8 weeks). Cuz rarely does a store have any stock on hand ... it’s all ordered in on an as needed basis.

Thing is though ... 2 months is just an estimate

Be prepared for possible delays ... and waiting a lot longer than that ... esp now during Covid
Yes
A lot appliances either made in China or use parts from China, probably just back to normal now

Or a lot Chinese companies who use to build appliances now use some capacity to manufacture face mask and earn more money lol
Nov 4, 2008
310 posts
117 upvotes
Windsor
I ordered a washer from Lowes and got it within a week
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
It depends what you order, we ordered 3 appliances from canadappliance, dishwasher and microwave were in stock, had to wait for the stove and fridge, but are ready this Friday - we ordered on the 19th.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5218 posts
1240 upvotes
Burlington
Ordered a dishwasher from Coast and they said 3-4 weeks wait time. Checked other stores and similar timeline. Think it depends on the model you order as well.
Sep 30, 2004
735 posts
125 upvotes
Markham
I heard fridges were hard to get.... Some timelines were out a few months. Can't really pick what you want ... More of what you can get your hands on quickly for the people that can't wait.
Feb 12, 2010
161 posts
11 upvotes
I was just about to post a thread about this because our refrigerator broke in early July and getting a new one has been a nightmare. We've been without a fridge for over a month now. Our order with CAS has been pushed back so many times, we cancelled it because they admitted they had no idea when it could come.

I am checking dates for shipments for different brands of refrigerators from major retailers (Home Depot, Lowe's, Leon's etc) and estimated delivery dates are Oct, Nov, etc.

If anyone has any great suggestions on where to find something that's actually in stock, please do comment. At this point we may get a small tide me over fridge because we don't want to spend thousands on a model that we don't want just because of this backlog. I am hoping Costco has some inventory left.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
nightlite wrote: I was just about to post a thread about this because our refrigerator broke in early July and getting a new one has been a nightmare. We've been without a fridge for over a month now. Our order with CAS has been pushed back so many times, we cancelled it because they admitted they had no idea when it could come.

I am checking dates for shipments for different brands of refrigerators from major retailers (Home Depot, Lowe's, Leon's etc) and estimated delivery dates are Oct, Nov, etc.

If anyone has any great suggestions on where to find something that's actually in stock, please do comment. At this point we may get a small tide me over fridge because we don't want to spend thousands on a model that we don't want just because of this backlog. I am hoping Costco has some inventory left.
FYI ... a few things

1- CAS certainly doesn’t have the greatest of reputations ... so probably a good thing that your agreement with them fell thru
(GOOGLE for more info / reviews or use the RFD SEARCH Feature)

2- UPDATE your RFD Profile so it shows some sort of location ... Province, Region, Town, or Nearby Big City ... cuz RFD is a Canadawide website ... and someone’s experience is gonna be different east to west and north to south ... makes no sense to give you a recommendation on what’s in stock from me here in Eastern Ontario if you actually live in Newfoundland, BC, Windsor or Iqualuit
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON
@nightlite

Suffice, unless it's a floor model, the likelihood if one store doesn't have it listed in inventory no other store will have it either. As mentioned in other threads, a lot of the appliances come from a central manufacturer distribution hub that all the retailers pull from, so if it shows zero stock in one retailer, it will more than likely show zero stock at another, as it's showing entire stock period.

Canada is doing fairly well with COVID but other countries are not, so their manufacturing output is more than likely being affected.

I think the other thing is that there probably is a lot of backorder too.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Mar 22, 2011
706 posts
248 upvotes
We bought a washer and dryer from Costco and got it 4 business days later.
This was in early June.
What's the typical delivery time for appliances before covid-19?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
jandb wrote: We bought a washer and dryer from Costco and got it 4 business days later.
This was in early June.
What's the typical delivery time for appliances before covid-19?
Anywhere from immediate (floor models / in stock in the warehouse)
To 2 to 8 weeks.
The average being somewhere in the 3 to 6 week range

A lot of North American appliances ... like other heavy manufactured items
(Cars, Rvs, Trailers, Boats, Appliances, etc)
Are made in middle America’s “rust belt” ... The states that mostly border onto the Great Lakes

These states have been hit pretty hard by Covid
Be it layoffs
Or just the massive amounts of folks out sick with the virus now

So that + shipping delays ... has made things really tough on the supply chain

With the way things are stateside right now ...

I honestly don’t see supply chains getting better here for quite some time

And the 2nd wave of Covid ... or just the big old tidal wave they seem to be in

Could only make things worse for months to come

(Winter here In Canada May see us facing lots of shortages IMO ... not just appliances)
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1678 posts
585 upvotes
nightlite wrote: I was just about to post a thread about this because our refrigerator broke in early July and getting a new one has been a nightmare. We've been without a fridge for over a month now. Our order with CAS has been pushed back so many times, we cancelled it because they admitted they had no idea when it could come.

Maybe try bestbuy??? People don't think of this store for appliances.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
Whirlpool stuff will likely get hit by those new retaliatory tariffs starting this fall
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
2319 posts
1192 upvotes
BC
HD is beyond brutal, I waited over 2 months for them to ship an in stock product. After contacting them many times, I cancelled the order.

I won't order anything online from them again, the incompetence is beyond bad.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
The fridge we ordered in July, got delivered in July and was heavily damaged, we sent it back. They weren't able to source a replacement fridge till beginning of December, so waited 5 months.

When they first brought the initial fridge, the "crew" was horrible, I think it was son, dad and granpapi, one guy took 20 minutes to take off my existing fridge doors. It literally takes 2 mins TOPS, I have done it. They almost dropped the fridge down the front porch stairs. I had to ask them about using straps (to make sure it's strapped to the dolly which looked like it would collapse under the fridge weight). Horrible horrible. Of course, they had to bring in my initial fridge, since the new one had major damage, was lucky it still worked fine - and I put the doors back and everything, myself.

When the replacement came, it was just 2 guys, one told me I had to take my screen door off and I told him "nope, you take the fridge doors off and any handles, I'm not disassembling my house for you". So it fit just fine after doing that, but getting the old fridge out and new fridge in took less time that the previous crew took to get my old fridge doors off.

In any case, not too happy with the dishwasher or the fridge. Dishwasher is really cheapest craftsmanship I have EVER seen, and the fridge although I like the size/volume (which is larger than the previous fridge), makes a horrid noise each time it takes water for ice, it's like turning on the kitchen tap on full blast for 5 seconds... oh well...

Dishwasher - I do NOT recommend, cheap cheap quality: https://www.frigidaire.ca/Kitchen/Dishw ... GID2479SD/
Fridge - I like the volume but the ice maker noise is way too loud: https://www.frigidaire.ca/Kitchen/Refri ... GHB2868TD/
Stove - I like it (this stove will work even if power goes out, some gas stoves will block the gas if you don't have power): https://www.frigidaire.ca/Kitchen/Range ... GGH3047VD/
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3176 posts
3130 upvotes
Toronto
BestBuy said there was a surge in people buying chest freezers over COVID, as such there's a bit of a shortage for them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)