Careers

Is there even such a thing as a "Job Market" right now?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2012 12:38 pm

Poll: Is there even such a thing as a "Job Market" right now?

• Total votes: 28. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

50%
No

50%
[OP]
Aug 14, 2009
480 posts
99 upvotes

Is there even such a thing as a "Job Market" right now?

so the other day my friend gave me this whole spiel about how its super rough out there
he was saying that the job market in the gta is abysmal at best when looking at the number of applicants applying per job opening. He gave all these examples of people he knew (both experienced and new grad) who are very qualified but have been unable to secure employment for a long period of time. He also told of many people who although highly educated have decided to "camp it out" in colleges or do volunteer positions until things pickup. he tied that last point into how people getting phd's have shot up by some ungodly percentage in last few years.

so what do you think? does a "job market" even exist right now for majority of people looking for jobs?
13 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12578 posts
1470 upvotes
Brampton
They have jobs available. They are jobs that nobody wants, and pay minimum wage. Many peeps are employed through employment agencies, but the thing is you likely get a crappy job and not one single benefit.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5305 posts
1696 upvotes
There's lots of jobs .... its just that there are more candidates than jobs ..... and those other candidates are (seemingly) more qualified than your friend,
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
[OP]
Aug 14, 2009
480 posts
99 upvotes
the guy is working right in a field thats isnt related to what he studied and he doesnt really like or want to do his job
but he is counting his blessings and hanging around because he thinks at least hes making good money and hasnt been able to get anything else for the longest time
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5305 posts
1696 upvotes
ttothel wrote: the guy is working right in a field thats isnt related to what he studied and he doesnt really like or want to do his job
but he is counting his blessings and hanging around because he thinks at least hes making good money and hasnt been able to get anything else for the longest time

So whats the problem?

Stay employed and collecting paychecks while working towards the target career ...
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5350 posts
1583 upvotes
It's all relative. There's always a shortage of qualified people. Soft skills are important. People with the right interpersonal skills + relevant experience are always in demand. To these people, the job market is generally good even in a recession. Of course, we also have the opposite. People with limited experience like students and fresh grads always have a rough time. So answer the OP's question, there is always a job market. But the market is different for each person. Job seeking is like dating. If you're attractive, intelligent, and wealthy, it's always a good market.
I think anytime someone says the job market is rough or is easy, you should think about the qualifications of the person. Maybe he's not that bright. Or maybe his field is going through tough times.

It's normal to have unemployed people because any job market will only hire the top 70-90% of the people. And at any time, there are people moving between jobs or have unfortunately been laid off or the company went bankrupt.

The market is definitely different from decades ago where manufacturing was a primary source of jobs. Nowadays, everyone wants a desk job.
Sep 16, 2007
543 posts
11 upvotes
Kitchener
I'm getting quite a few interviews...in the GTA.
Sep 18, 2011
362 posts
40 upvotes
AURORA
There will always be job opening.

The problem is that is more competitive now than it was 5 years ago. Back then they would take you to the 2nd or 3rd round to see your abilities. Now you gotta fight for your abilities with other people. Its complete none sense and a waste of time for both the candidate and the employer (unless you're HR and your just 'doing the job hunny').

A freind of mine went to this one company for 4 interviews in 2 different positions. He came from the #1 company in that industry. That company is considered the #3rd in the industry. He has what was needed in the first interview position and they didnt call him back. Then 5-6 months later he applied for another one and had another interview. 2 interviews again! And this time, it was in the same position that he had with company #1.
I dont know if they didnt like him or what not..but he didnt get hired and after 4 interviews, 2 positions...nothing from this company, which is considered a really bad and dying company..... To have my friend come in and show them what its like to be #1....and for HR managers and Managers to not take the golden goose is by far pathetic....shows how pathetic Canadian management really is even.... Seems like RIM/Bombardier/Nortel (MARK77...IM HERE FOR YOU MAN!!!!!!) has long distant relatives!

All I can say to people now in regards to the market compared to 5 years ago is the following:

2006: A graduate came out of school and would make 50K
2012: A graduate started out with 35-40K

2006: A candidate was hired on the 1st or 2nd interivew with around 10-20 applicants for the position.
2012: A candidate goes through multiplie 'rounds' including psychoanalysis and math/writing quiz before he thinks of getting interviews.

2006: The Internet!!! Was a good place to get company info and apply for a job. Back then (and dont get me wrong....) a career section was actually for people applying and having job posts and it was rare to see in companies.
2012: Today, the Internet is oversaturated. Workopolis is a failure because not only I can access it, but so can Chris in Australia, Patel in India, Andrei in Russia, and Louise in Vancouver which makes my resume more hard to reach than where it should be (me, interest, my degree, qualification, same city..call?)

2006: Benefits on top of salary was the norm.
2012: Contracts, temporary and replacement is the new norm!

2006: Innovation, Entreprenurial, the boom, Money and funding was available.
2012: Nothing like what 2006 was...

Fix it up before it gets even more messier!
[OP]
Aug 14, 2009
480 posts
99 upvotes
wow some very interesting comments kappa21

one other thing a lot of people including me have seen is this:
When you ask someone who has a good job within their field how they got it, pretty much all the time they say something to the tune of being on the "inside track" if you know what i mean

Kappa21 wrote: There will always be job opening.

The problem is that is more competitive now than it was 5 years ago. Back then they would take you to the 2nd or 3rd round to see your abilities. Now you gotta fight for your abilities with other people. Its complete none sense and a waste of time for both the candidate and the employer (unless you're HR and your just 'doing the job hunny').

A freind of mine went to this one company for 4 interviews in 2 different positions. He came from the #1 company in that industry. That company is considered the #3rd in the industry. He has what was needed in the first interview position and they didnt call him back. Then 5-6 months later he applied for another one and had another interview. 2 interviews again! And this time, it was in the same position that he had with company #1.
I dont know if they didnt like him or what not..but he didnt get hired and after 4 interviews, 2 positions...nothing from this company, which is considered a really bad and dying company..... To have my friend come in and show them what its like to be #1....and for HR managers and Managers to not take the golden goose is by far pathetic....shows how pathetic Canadian management really is even.... Seems like RIM/Bombardier/Nortel (MARK77...IM HERE FOR YOU MAN!!!!!!) has long distant relatives!

All I can say to people now in regards to the market compared to 5 years ago is the following:

2006: A candidate was hired on the 1st or 2nd interivew with around 10-20 applicants for the position.
2012: A candidate goes through multiplie 'rounds' including psychoanalysis and math/writing quiz before he thinks of getting interviews.

2006: The Internet!!! Was a good place to get company info and apply for a job. Back then (and dont get me wrong....) a career section was actually for people applying and having job posts and it was rare to see in companies.
2012: Today, the Internet is oversaturated. Workopolis is a failure because not only I can access it, but so can Chris in Australia, Patel in India, Andrei in Russia, and Louise in Vancouver which makes my resume more hard to reach than where it should be (me, interest, my degree, qualification, same city..call?)

Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2008
1012 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
BananaHunter wrote: It's all relative. There's always a shortage of qualified people. Soft skills are important. People with the right interpersonal skills + relevant experience are always in demand. To these people, the job market is generally good even in a recession. Of course, we also have the opposite. People with limited experience like students and fresh grads always have a rough time. So answer the OP's question, there is always a job market. But the market is different for each person. Job seeking is like dating. If you're attractive, intelligent, and wealthy, it's always a good market.
I think anytime someone says the job market is rough or is easy, you should think about the qualifications of the person. Maybe he's not that bright. Or maybe his field is going through tough times.

It's normal to have unemployed people because any job market will only hire the top 70-90% of the people. And at any time, there are people moving between jobs or have unfortunately been laid off or the company went bankrupt.

The market is definitely different from decades ago where manufacturing was a primary source of jobs. Nowadays, everyone wants a desk job.
Love this statement.
Must Read Books!

Dale Carneigie's How to win Friends & Influence People, Seth Godin's Purple Cow, Sun Tze's Art of War, Nicolo Machiavelli's The Prince, Charles Darwin's The Orgin of Species, Scott Fitzgerald's Great Gatsby, Tom Wolfe's A Man in Full, Joshua Ferris' Then We Came to the End and Eugene Kelly's Chasing Daylight.
Sep 18, 2011
362 posts
40 upvotes
AURORA
But the market is different for each person. Job seeking is like dating. If you're attractive, intelligent, and wealthy, it's always a good market.

I agree with the statement too!
It makes tons of sense.
You applied and your showing how attractive you are to the employer. Ofcourse you wear a suite and look professional, but you wow them....

its sort of like a dance club with lots of single, promiscuous young adults :D
tons of guys, tons of girls....lots of hooks up...
Well in our market, there is more guys than girls unfortunately.
So the attractive, intelligent, and wealthy guy will win the fight for the lady since the ration between guys and girls is 3 guys to 1 girl!

Good luck!

But in reality the guy is far from not attractive...maybe not in the inside, far from intelligent and not wealthy like you'd think.....
where as the guys who lost out are completely the opposite!

Anyone wanna go to the 'district' next week? :confused:
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2008
1012 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
Kappa21 wrote: But the market is different for each person. Job seeking is like dating. If you're attractive, intelligent, and wealthy, it's always a good market.

I agree with the statement too!
It makes tons of sense.
You applied and your showing how attractive you are to the employer. Ofcourse you wear a suite and look professional, but you wow them....

its sort of like a dance club with lots of single, promiscuous young adults :D
tons of guys, tons of girls....lots of hooks up...
Well in our market, there is more guys than girls unfortunately.
So the attractive, intelligent, and wealthy guy will win the fight for the lady since the ration between guys and girls is 3 guys to 1 girl!

Good luck!

But in reality the guy is far from not attractive...maybe not in the inside, far from intelligent and not wealthy like you'd think.....
where as the guys who lost out are completely the opposite!

Anyone wanna go to the 'district' next week? :confused:

Great post! Hilarious, lol.
Must Read Books!

Dale Carneigie's How to win Friends & Influence People, Seth Godin's Purple Cow, Sun Tze's Art of War, Nicolo Machiavelli's The Prince, Charles Darwin's The Orgin of Species, Scott Fitzgerald's Great Gatsby, Tom Wolfe's A Man in Full, Joshua Ferris' Then We Came to the End and Eugene Kelly's Chasing Daylight.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3234 upvotes
Calgary
Kappa21 wrote: All I can say to people now in regards to the market compared to 5 years ago is the following:

:lol: , and even 2006 was garbage compared to 1998-1999.

To the topic of the poll, I voted, "no", because a 'market' generally implies liquidity, the concept of arbitrage, and fungibility. I don't believe these elements exist in the contemporary employment market.

Liquidity in the context of an employment market would mean that everyone who applies for a job and is qualified, would have their qualifications assessed and responded to in good faith. And people could move from job to job, finding a job that met the mutual needs of the employer and employee the best.

Arbitrage implies that firms would be willing to, for instance, pay someone who is twice as productive, twice as much. Whereas, most HR people just look at things like education and years in the workforce to set a salary, rather than tailor the compensation to the individual and their contributions.

Fungibility means that skills are recognized in the marketplace. For instance, since a physicist has a similar educational background as an Electrical Engineer -- the physicist should be able to go to an EE employer and ask for an EE job. And potentially, vice versa. Employers aren't willing to engage skills fungibility. If they want an EE, they will pout and cry until they find an EE -- they won't interview a physicist, realize that the physicist has a similar skillset, and proceed on that basis.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
[OP]
Aug 14, 2009
480 posts
99 upvotes
Mark77 wrote: :
Fungibility means that skills are recognized in the marketplace. For instance, since a physicist has a similar educational background as an Electrical Engineer -- the physicist should be able to go to an EE employer and ask for an EE job. And potentially, vice versa. Employers aren't willing to engage skills fungibility. If they want an EE, they will pout and cry until they find an EE -- they won't interview a physicist, realize that the physicist has a similar skillset, and proceed on that basis.
very true, seen this happen so many times although ive also heard of a few cases in the non-technical fields where employers do engage in skill fungibility

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)