Automotive

Is there a high quality snow brush that won't scratch your car?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 11:05 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes

Is there a high quality snow brush that won't scratch your car?

I feel like these cheap snow brushes witht he course bristles can scratch the paint and palstics of a car and from some articles i read online about them in general.

Is there a high qualiy one that is less course or alternative for those of us who have no garage?

saw this at canadian tire but still skeptical: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garan ... ml#Reviews
31 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
You still have to use the plastic part on your windows to get the ice off Disappointed But Relieved Face

Doing this on a new car and you see the scratches all over the window ..Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy

It's the cost of living in Canada......
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
Get a winter beater. There is no solution to parking outside during the winter and saving your paint.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
Stratmosphere Ultimate boars hair brush were selling for $49.00usd if you want to spend the cash.
For those wanting to save, then the best brush is a $17.99 Dip N' Wash car washing brush, it even has rubber side trim to protect it from marring your paint.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/simon ... 8507p.html
I bought bunch of these when they had at my local supermarket for $4.99
I am an auto detailer and any brush not matter how soft will mar and swirl the paint, best to just remove the 90% of the snow with a Wash N' Dip brush and then the last 1/2" covering with your mitt.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
EdT586 wrote: Stratmosphere Ultimate boars hair brush were selling for $49.00usd if you want to spend the cash.
For those wanting to save, then the best brush is a $17.99 Dip N' Wash car washing brush, it even has rubber side trim to protect it from marring your paint.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/simon ... 8507p.html
I bought bunch of these when they had at my local supermarket for $4.99
I am an auto detailer and any brush not matter how soft will mar and swirl the paint, best to just remove the 90% of the snow with a Wash N' Dip brush and then the last 1/2" covering with your mitt.
i didnt even think of wash brushes! the 49 dollar boar brush....you suggesting a hair brush to clean snow off the car? lol
Gee wrote: That’s a good brush and it won’t scratch your paint. I have one
this one same thing? http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garan ... p.html#srp
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26012 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA
I have the one linked in the OP and it seems to be fine.

If you are really anal about it, I have seen a few people using their leaf blowers, but of course that is only going to help you if you are at home, unless you are going to carry a cordless one around in your car, LOL
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: i didnt even think of wash brushes! the 49 dollar boar brush....you suggesting a hair brush to clean snow off the car? lol
LoL ...no it's made out of boar's hair, the brush was made for detailing paint enthusiasts !
If you're really hip get a battery or gas powered leaf blower ...LoL
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Yes they’re both the same. Only difference is the telescoping feature in the first one. I actually own the second one.

There is nothing but foam rubber on the front and literally impossible to scratch the paint.
Last edited by Gee on Dec 10th, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 25, 2006
750 posts
785 upvotes
Winnipeg
Gee wrote: There is nothing on but foam rubber in the front and literally impossible to scratch the paint.
That's only true if there's absolutely no dirt or any other contaminant in the snow or on the car under the snow.
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
warpdwhim wrote: That's only true if there's absolutely no dirt or any other contaminant in the snow or on the car under the snow.
I’ve never seen snow fall contaminated with dirt. Even if it there was dirt in the clouds and it lands on your car, it will not be the brush that scratches the paint.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
The foam snow joe brush has not caused any issues with my paint.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
A good coat or 2 of wax and I’ve yet to scratch the paint on my car with those cheap wood snow brushes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8429 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
Put on some gloves and remove the snow and ice with your hands.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
Gee wrote: Yes they’re both the same. Only difference is the telescoping feature in the first one. I actually own the second one.

There is nothing but foam rubber on the front and literally impossible to scratch the paint.
toguy wrote: I have the one linked in the OP and it seems to be fine.

If you are really anal about it, I have seen a few people using their leaf blowers, but of course that is only going to help you if you are at home, unless you are going to carry a cordless one around in your car, LOL
Would you guys have gotten the more expensive one with the swivel and extended rod? If you had the chance again
..?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
george__ wrote: You still have to use the plastic part on your windows to get the ice off Disappointed But Relieved Face
Doing this on a new car and you see the scratches all over the window ..Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
It's the cost of living in Canada......
A brush isn't going to scratch your glass. There are some cars with soft glass and they get scratched from grit being ground in from the wipers.
Gee wrote: I’ve never seen snow fall contaminated with dirt. Even if it there was dirt in the clouds and it lands on your car, it will not be the brush that scratches the paint.
It's not the brushes that are doing most of the scratching (unless you have a very abrasive brush, it's the grit/dirt being wiped across your paint when you push the snow off.
Would you wash your car in the summer just pulling a cloth across your car? No, you'd rinse it, soap it up and gently wash it.
Last edited by engineered on Dec 10th, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
engineered wrote: A brush isn't going to scratch your glass. There are some cars with soft glass and they get scratched from grit being ground in from the wipers.

It's not the brushes that are scratching cars (unless you have a very abrasive brush, it's the grit and dirt being wiped across your paint when you push the snow off.
Would you wash your car in the summer just pulling a cloth across your car? No, you'd rinse it, soap it up and gently wash it.
98% of the snow brushes sold will swirl your paint. The bristle have to be stiff to move slush snow.
The grit under the snow and ice will also scratch and swirl the paint, that is the same with erosion on how craters were formed in the ice age ! ...LoL