Automotive

Is there an insurance limit to how many cars one household can own?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2010 7:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 22, 2009
83 posts
1 upvote
GTA

Is there an insurance limit to how many cars one household can own?

Let's say a 4 person family wants to add a 3rd or 4th car... could they all go under the parents' insurance or would one or both of them have to go under the kids'.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2004
1111 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
no limit.
theyre would be a problem with trying to list kids as occasional drivers though.
[OP]
Jul 22, 2009
83 posts
1 upvote
GTA
Yup, that's what I'm asking... would the kids not be able to be listed as occasional drivers for the cars?
What would be the limit? 2 cars for the household?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7753 posts
959 upvotes
Kids will have to be listed as primary (assuming they have licenses).
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1589 posts
199 upvotes
They will push to have someone else be the primary.

They will try to tell you, your parent's can't be the primary when there are other drivers in the house. You can still do it, but the other drivers would have to sign the above car saying they won't driver the car. If they ever do and get into an accident you risk the insurance not covering it and cancelling your parents policy. (Basically insurance fraud).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8567 posts
1281 upvotes
Ontario
Each driver would have to be listed on a vehicle - all vehicles can be on the same policy if they are all registered to the parents..so, if you have 3 cars, 4 licd ops in the house, 3 of them will be a principle and the 4th will be listed as an occ'l op on the vehicle which generates the highest premium.not a good idea using the excluded drivers form.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Feb 22, 2010
241 posts
1 upvote
Don't insure all of them with the same company. Insure each one with a different company, they probably wont find out that way.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8567 posts
1281 upvotes
Ontario
totally bad advice, they will find out from the auto plus report ...doing this can result in non-disclosure cancellation...
tdotraptors wrote: Don't insure all of them with the same company. Insure each one with a different company, they probably wont find out that way.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7688 posts
783 upvotes
North York
COSMIC5 wrote: totally bad advice, they will find out from the auto plus report ...doing this can result in non-disclosure cancellation...
Finally, a confirmation!

I thought the insurance companies must have a way to cover themselves from this obvious fraud.
Jul 29, 2003
189 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
Why is the excluded driver form a bad idea?
-=sMoothEric=-
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1489 posts
100 upvotes
Guelph
You can have ALL insurance policies under X person(s) in any family size, however those who aren't one of the "X" drivers cannot be insured at ALL.

So example situation:

You have a personal car, let's say a Toyota Prius
You also have 1 child, they have a G2 or G license and are a secondary driver on the Prius
NOW you want to add a little more fun of a car, say, a Zonda F (lol), well either your child now is the 'primary driver' on one of the two cars, or they can't be insured on either.
Nom nom nom.
[OP]
Jul 22, 2009
83 posts
1 upvote
GTA
Speedv1 wrote: You can have ALL insurance policies under X person(s) in any family size, however those who aren't one of the "X" drivers cannot be insured at ALL.

So example situation:

You have a personal car, let's say a Toyota Prius
You also have 1 child, they have a G2 or G license and are a secondary driver on the Prius
NOW you want to add a little more fun of a car, say, a Zonda F (lol), well either your child now is the 'primary driver' on one of the two cars, or they can't be insured on either.
That is ridiculous... and let me guess, the younger driver would be forced to be the primary on the more expensive car...
Jul 29, 2003
189 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
Dina_E wrote: not true.

the parents can have all cars under their name if they want,

they just have to make the other licensed drivers sign 28A Excluded Driver form.

here it is.
http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/ENGLISH/PUBS/ ... 5_93-2.pdf
This document looks like you WOULD be able to exclude a driver from one car but not another.

EG: My wife drives my Protege 5, but not my Defender, Iltis, GTI, Passat and Challenger.
Sometimes I drive the Protege 5. Could I exclude her from the other vehicles?
Eric
-=sMoothEric=-
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5775 posts
713 upvotes
Ottawa
_AUC2MIC wrote: That is ridiculous... and let me guess, the younger driver would be forced to be the primary on the more expensive car...
I dont think this is the case, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)