Automotive

Are there intermediate trainings for fixing/maintaining your vehicle?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2021 9:26 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2014
1499 posts
4659 upvotes
Toronto
ChrisFix

Start with the absolute basics first. Like jacking up a car properly and safely. With jacking up car, this opens a whole world of possibilities of many things you can do maintenance wise. Like changing your oil, rotors, brakes, bleeding, etc.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
438 upvotes
East York, ON
Quentin5 wrote: What are long term overland trips?
Toronto--Anchorage-Ushuaia-Toronto
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
4373 posts
2499 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Something like that would be really useful - similar situation to the OP. Tire swapping and oil changes are not an issue, but changing a CV joint, jerry rigging suspension components and diagnosing basic engine issues* would be what I’d be interested in. Things tat can strand you 100km form anywhere and things that can usually be fixed with some basic spares and tools, but still out of the ability range of someone just used to doing basic repairs and servicing.

Yes, YouTube is fine, but you probably won’t have it when you need it and you really want practical experience - and I’d rather not take apart my truck to get it.

*not that there are many basic issues on a modern truck. It’ll probably be electrical and require a multi thousand dollar machine to even start to diagnose it.