Personal Finance

Is there a Mint.com substitute for Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2011 3:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
4792 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
rotary65 wrote: Mint.com now works for me in Canada using my PC Financial account. It doesn't let me add my PC Mastercard or TD Canad Turst accounts yet, but it's an excellent start. It's really a magnificent tool - much better than Quicne Onine or Quicken, in my opinion (I've used both).
How did you sign-up? It's asking me for a zip code...

Just enter a fake one or...?
Dec 18, 2006
727 posts
135 upvotes
Halifax
I've been using money.strands.com for a while now. It works with my Scotia bank accounts, PC Fin, MBNA and Capital One credit cards. From a prior post it seems that Yodlee is the back end provider for the service.
Oct 25, 2009
147 posts
32 upvotes
Saskatoon
This won't integrate automatically with your accounts - but that's why i love it - I just download transactions from my accounts to use it.

ACEMONEY LITE

is free - try it out - i use it on multiple accounts - just open the account I'm working on - if you pay you have unlimited.

You can also do budgeting, investments etc - and it's reports are nice for the wife who doesn't understand numbers but understands piecharts.
May 6, 2006
254 posts
4 upvotes
Looks like Mint.com is finally adding Canadian Support!

I got to add my PC Financial account today. Unfortunately that's the only bank I could find of mine on there.
Oct 25, 2009
147 posts
32 upvotes
Saskatoon
zmtomako wrote: i would also like to know
I used a very popular zip code everyone knows. 90210. lol

Anyway - I posted above about the downloading transactions / using ACEMONEY - which is a kick as free program on the computer. Though the free version lets you see 1 account at a time. ( I do multiple accounts, just with different save files, anyway - it's more to show my wife our actual money situation and why she can't have a new house or car or trip to hawaii. lol )

SO - my interest was caught when someone said quicken online lets you upload transactions - so I went there. Lo and behold - it points you to go to MINT - I went there - signed up. I added my pcfinancial bank account to try this online thing.

Holy hell is that slick. But that's the only bank that was there for me. Still - I was amazed by how easy my accounts added. ( high interest savings, interest plus savings, and no fee savings.)

I don't know how I overcame the fear to do it last night / give my number and online banking password, but I did. SO - I guess i could open it up to trying this yodlee or whatever it's called.

MINT seemed great in terms of customization / setting up of alarms etc. Nice pretty graph outputs as well.

I need to search and see if there's a download function from them for transactions / categories, and upload.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1549 posts
50 upvotes
ON
Some recommend Thrive or Yodlee for the ability to synchronize with Canadian banks.
May 10, 2006
23 posts
Looks like one Canadian option is now gone.

Wesabe has closed up and no new update from Mint.com :(
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19226 posts
1713 upvotes
I can't believe so many people are so OK with giving all their financial information to a third-party website, where there are likely pimple-faced sysadmins making $15 / hour responsible for all of the data.

The thought alone of it makes my skin crawl.

Client side application only (on my local PC), thanks.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
May 5, 2006
731 posts
156 upvotes
Looks like wesabe is going to opensource their server component... so one would be able to run it all locally (though you'd likely need some tech expertise)
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2003
1028 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone gotten Yodlee to work with TD credit cards or LOCs?
Jul 28, 2008
197 posts
Mississauga/Toronto
wow... this is a cool thread! :)

i currently use GNU Cash, it's not an automatic getter of everything but it's great for me, i can create Expense accounts, it tracks all income, it can auto-fill when needed, i can run a report from start of the year or current month.

For me it's not a lot of upkeep either, since i usually charge everything to my credit card, so at the end of the month, it's just a case of entering all the transactions and your done.

It works soley on the principle that every debit must have a credit. So you debit your Expense account and Credit the method of payment.
Jul 20, 2005
70 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Lord Denning wrote: Has anyone gotten Yodlee to work with TD credit cards or LOCs?
Yes, I use it. Don't know about LOCs though, but my TD CCs work fine with it.
Jun 25, 2005
611 posts
280 upvotes
I was using Wesabe but now that it's closing I need to find a site That manages Amex or allows manual uploads. Any suggestions?
Jul 18, 2010
1 posts
Toronto
mint.com is now working with Canadian banks!

At least with RBC.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
343 upvotes
Brisbane
mwarkentin wrote: mint.com is now working with Canadian banks!

At least with RBC.
So glad I checked today! Finally! Thanks
Dec 13, 2008
174 posts
1 upvote
I tried the following and didn't work:

Questrade
Ingdirect.ca
MBNA Canada

Also, how do you set the default currency to CDN?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 24, 2005
5730 posts
323 upvotes
anyone get canadian tire financial or pc financial to work?
Aug 7, 2009
15 posts
1 upvote
xwar wrote: anyone get canadian tire financial or pc financial to work?
PCF works.