Home & Garden

Is there a permit required for gas line?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 5:42 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3869 posts
1305 upvotes

Is there a permit required for gas line?

A few years ago we hired a HVAC company to install a gas line for a stove, the work was done and paid in full with invoice. It was my understanding at the time a permit is not needed for a gas line as the work can only be done by a licensed tech in Ontario.

Do I need to do anything further or get anything inspected, we are finishing the basement so want to make sure everything is done correctly, at the time the guy just came installed it to the existing gas line for the furnace and HWT. I cannot recall if he tagged or it was tagged by the builder but there is a tag, no one came for a inspection etc.
3 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11965 posts
7129 upvotes
Paris
JonSnow wrote: A few years ago we hired a HVAC company to install a gas line for a stove, the work was done and paid in full with invoice. It was my understanding at the time a permit is not needed for a gas line as the work can only be done by a licensed tech in Ontario.

Do I need to do anything further or get anything inspected, we are finishing the basement so want to make sure everything is done correctly, at the time the guy just came installed it to the existing gas line for the furnace and HWT. I cannot recall if he tagged or it was tagged by the builder but there is a tag, no one came for a inspection etc.
I cant speak to today, but no permit was required in 2008 or 2011 when I had professional gas install by a TSSA gas tech and both were tagged.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6590 posts
6067 upvotes
No, not required (in Ontario) unless it's changed from 2016
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3869 posts
1305 upvotes
Thanks, just me over thinking. I confirmed with the contractors and they said the same.