PC & Video Games

Is there a reason to buy Xbox Series X instead of high-end PC?

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2021 12:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20923 posts
1200 upvotes
Shanghai, China

Is there a reason to buy Xbox Series X instead of high-end PC?

Someone on RFD mentioned every Series X game is available on PC. If true, what's the point of buying the console other than the fact it's a cheaper cost of entry into next-gen gaming.
40 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
8283 posts
1927 upvotes
This is RFD, so that's pretty simple: 4K/60fps performance monster with hardware-accelerated ray tracing for $599. Compliment it with Game Pass Ultimate at around $5/month (search here on RFD as to how) and voila, a happy gamer for years to come.
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Aug 20, 2009
8623 posts
3681 upvotes
I bought a Series X because some games I want to play on the TV in a different room. I tend to think of purchases as how much entertainment value I derive from them. I decided I would probably get $599 of enjoyment out of it over its lifespan.

That said, I have dedicated gaming PC and if I had to choose between that and the Series X, it would be the gaming PC every time. It's infinitely more flexible in every respect.

It depends on the perspective of the buyer. If it's going to be your only console and you already have a gaming PC, probably better off to get a Nintendo or Sony console to complement the setup. If it's going to be something you have instead of a gaming PC, it makes a lot of sense. Preference and taste matters as well, some people prefer to play shooters with a KB/M for example, others like the gamepad. And so on.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1171 posts
421 upvotes
Nova Scotia
At one point last November I was trying to make this same decision and chose the Series X for a myriad of reasons. Most of them were lifestyle ones including not want to tinker with another PC when i get home (I manage over 100 now), no upgrading required, re-learning to use a KB.Mouse combo for gaming ( I know you can connect a gamepad) and mostly the series X just works when the family want to game. Ended up building a gaming PC on the low end (1080p gaming with a 1660) for my son and tha also allows him to explore game development (he is very interested in that) and school work. Never looked back and no regrets.

I think it mostly comes down to personal circumstances when choosing console versus PC. With the current state of the market there is no way I would consider building a gaming PC.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5635 posts
1313 upvotes
calgary
There are a number of reasons IMO.
1. Value: A similarly Specced PC will run you ~1200$.
2. Ease of Use: I know you can plug your TV into your PC and run big picture mode but it's definitely not the same and has a ton of hiccups, plus PC is at it's best in front of a monitor with a mouse and keyboard and switching between TV and monitor with one PC is cumbersome
3. Gamepass: Gamepass has a different catalogue on console than PC. About 70% of the games are the same but some games come to Xbox that don't come to PC and vice versa (OutRiders and MLB the Show for example only came to Xbox, well there has a been a bunch of sim games that have only come to PC)
4. There is some level of technical know how involved with PC gaming, when things go wry on PC you typically can't just do a warranty claim on an entire PC and have to troubleshoot to figure out which part is broken and then return/replace.
5. Local Co-op games are so much easier to play off a console

Quite frankly though I find there is value in owning both especially with cross-play/cross-save/cross-buy (with gamepass)
There are some games that just much more enjoyable on a monitor with mouse and keyboard and other games that I'd rather plunk myself in front of the TV and play, I just don't see it as the one to one comparison that a lot of other people do.
Aug 20, 2009
8623 posts
3681 upvotes
I think it also depends on how you define high end. PC high end is now 240hz monitors and 3080+, that gap will only widen over the next five years, assuming anyone can buy a GPU again. For the consoles, high end is more like like 60-120fps tops and most TVs still don't even support VRR. It really depends on expectations and preference. I personally own both consoles and PCs because I see their respective merits. Some days I get home from work and do not want to sit at the computer again. Other days I am content to play Total War: Warhammer 2 for 3 hours at the desk. It's nice to be able to choose.

Right now the chip shortages are so brutal that unless you're buying prebuilt or can take time off work to drop watch for a GPU, it's just hard to build a PC at all. There are definitely stock shortages for consoles but they are more consistent with stock IMO.
Jul 31, 2007
764 posts
618 upvotes
Some pros for xbox:

1- Price should be #1, you can't even get a decent GPU for 600$, let alone an entire computer!
2- You like couch gaming and you don't have a convenient way to attach your PC to your TV
3- If you mostly play on controller, the key advantage of kbm for PC is nullified for you anyway
4- You like game pass and want to enjoy its console exclusives
5- You don't want to spend hours optimizing each PC game, updating and configuring drivers, watching benchmark videos on youtube, always wondering whether you are getting the maximum performance from your setup or maybe you did something wrong and losing sleep over it (slight hyperbole here)
6- You enjoy the quick resume feature which loads you into the game much faster than on PC
7- Your friends are already on Xbox so it's easier to play multiplayer games, but this is becoming less and less a problem with cross-play.

Cons against xbox:

1- You enjoy building your PC, spending time on RFD and /r/bapcsalescanada scouting for deals on new parts to improve your rig
2- You enjoy playing with keyboard and mouse or VR
3- You want ultrawide resolution and/or FPS above 60/120 for all games
4- You enjoy benchmarking your PC, overclocking it and tuning it to achieve maximum performance (this can actually be more fun than playing the games!)
5- You need a PC for other uses anyway (work / school / mining)
6- Games can sometimes cheaper on PC, although it's not really a big difference anymore with the Microsoft store and their deals
7- You enjoy former Sony console exclusives, as it's likely many of them coming to PC now :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8668 posts
5626 upvotes
Toronto
I basically use my gaming PC as a console connected to my 65" TV with 5.1 surround sound in my living room and all wireless controllers including kb/m which I use from my couch. That said the main reason I would consider a Series X over a new PC build right now is that the current GPU market is insane and I don't see any games being made that make paying those insane prices appear worthwhile. On the other hand paying subscriptions for online multiplayer and no access to mods/trainers is a huge turn off for me as I find many games too grindy and unplayable without them but as long as GPUs cost what they do, I'll probably be going with a Series X whenever I'm ready for an upgrade to play new games.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4474 posts
4642 upvotes
GTA
I have a gaming laptop, and that offers me couch play with the versatility of also having a PC to do work with wherever I choose. To me, a PC is superior in every respect to a console. But I am more a PC gamer at heart than a console player.

In just reading some of the pluses for buying a console over a PC, a PC has so many better gaming qualities over any console:
PC games go on sale very often, there are way more stores and methods to shop around and get the best price for games, there is a larger variety of games to choose from, there are way more free games than any console has ever offered, you have more choice in control schemes, online is free, a PC can be upgraded in a way that will blow away any current gen console.

That said, I game much more on a console than on my PC. Consoles are convenience boxes, which there is a lot to be said for.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
2848 posts
4075 upvotes
If you have a beast PC, you really don't need a console period really. Not just Series X.

You have all the PC titles, you have 1st party Xbox titles, you have 1st party Playstation titles coming now, most multiplatform titles come to PC as well, and you've got emulators for all past and some current consoles. Legalities and grey areas aside of course. It's not really if you have a high-end PC you don't need a Series X. It's more, if you have a capable PC, you don't really need any console at all.

For me it comes down to quality of life, relaxation, and convenience. I used to play on PC, now I play exclusively on consoles. I like to sit on a couch in front of a TV, and grab a controller. Console UI and things like quick resume and game pass, are geared towards simplicity, TVs, and relaxation. Pick up and go while you're half sitting, half laying on a couch with one leg over the arm rest Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes. I want my gaming environment to be as far removed from any reminders of a work environment as possible.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1714 posts
590 upvotes
Last year when the lockdowns started. I bought for the first time a gaming PC to play with my friends who were skipping out on current gen systems. So I have 2080 Super graphics card on an iCore 7 9700 or something like that. I’m not a computer guy but my brother, who also moved onto PC gaming, said my pre-build was very good. I like my PC and the VR games I can play on it, but I’m a diehard console gamer at heart. So I bought the Series X but was willing to wait until after the launch because of gamepass. Funny thing is that my PC gaming brother bought a Series S and an X system to game on, but said he was going to sell the S after he got his X. So I gotta say that is saying something when my brother wanted a system
[external link removed]
Jul 31, 2007
764 posts
618 upvotes
Caerus wrote: I want my gaming environment to be as far removed from any reminders of a work environment as possible.
that's a really good point. Especially since these days, you already spend 8+ hours on your office chair in your dedicated work from home room. Now you have to spend your evenings in the same room and the same chair, or during the weekends? no thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4864 posts
2929 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Sgt_Strider wrote: Someone on RFD mentioned every Series X game is available on PC. If true, what's the point of buying the console other than the fact it's a cheaper cost of entry into next-gen gaming.
I've been a PC gamer for about 16 years until last year, I decided to go full on console instead of upgrading. Money was absolutely not an issue.

I've been playing with a controller on my PC for years already because it was already plugged in my TV.

What made me go console this year was 60fps finally the default framerate.

So game look good and framerate is good.

I'll also upgrade mid gen with the PS5 pro and Series XXX to still get good graphic and the feeling of upgrading like i used to have on PC.

Oh also quick resume is insane. Before that if i only had 20 minutes in front of me, I wouldn't bother to turn on my PC and start a game. On Xbox, it take 4 seconds and I'm in a game. I want to quit before finding a save point or during a cinematic? Easy, just turn off the console, it'll be in quick resume mode.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4474 posts
4642 upvotes
GTA
johncraven wrote: that's a really good point. Especially since these days, you already spend 8+ hours on your office chair in your dedicated work from home room. Now you have to spend your evenings in the same room and the same chair, or during the weekends? no thanks
That definition of the 90's desktop still applies to some people, but many people have moved on from that strict image. Even before the pandemic, WFH had changed.

-A powerful laptop can be used to game and work anywhere. I use mine from the same couch I game from.
-A great desktop monitor, though small, can be better than a TV for gaming. Some people are tight for space or funds, so they use it to game from the same space they work from.
-And I don't know about you guys, but I wish I could game from my office chair lol. I bought a decent gaming chair that has a lot of adjustments. Love that thing, and I don't sit in it enough.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8668 posts
5626 upvotes
Toronto
johncraven wrote:
that's a really good point. Especially since these days, you already spend 8+ hours on your office chair in your dedicated work from home room. Now you have to spend your evenings in the same room and the same chair, or during the weekends? no thanks
BernardRyder wrote: That definition of the 90's desktop still applies to some people, but many people have moved on from that strict image. Even before the pandemic, WFH had changed.

-A powerful laptop can be used to game and work anywhere. I use mine from the same couch I game from.
-A great desktop monitor, though small, can be better than a TV for gaming. Some people are tight for space or funds, so they use it to game from the same space they work from.
-And I don't know about you guys, but I wish I could game from my office chair lol. I bought a decent gaming chair that has a lot of adjustments. Love that thing, and I don't sit in it enough.
I'm surprised to see so many people still associate PC gaming as a "desk and chair" activity in 2021 as I've been PC gaming primarily from my couch on a big screen TV for well over a decade now. I use a docked laptop in my office for work so my gaming build has almost always been setup at my TV/couch but I guess other people don't own multiple computers and depend on the same computer for work and gaming? We didn't always have this many but at this point we own 5 laptops between the two of us (was 2-3 before we got new ones recently) which we use for work and other hobbies while my gaming PC has always been basically a dedicated gaming/media console that sits off to the side of my living room setup connected with a HDMI cable

I was also doing this long before it was as easy and convenient as it is now with high end gaming laptops having built in HDMI ports, Steam links, in home streaming etc. Especially now with these new consoles being massive and practically the same size a mid size desktop PC, there isn't really a big difference in terms of physical setup at this point.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4474 posts
4642 upvotes
GTA
ReeGee wrote: I'm surprised to see so many people still associate PC gaming as a "desk and chair" activity in 2021 as I've been PC gaming primarily from my couch on a big screen TV for well over a decade now. I use a docked laptop in my office for work so my gaming build has almost always been setup at my TV/couch but I guess other people don't own multiple computers and depend on the same computer for work and gaming? We didn't always have this many but at this point we own 5 laptops between the two of us (was 2-3 before we got new ones recently) which we use for work and other hobbies while my gaming PC has always been basically a dedicated gaming/media console that sits off to the side of my living room setup connected with a HDMI cable

I was also doing this long before it was as easy and convenient as it is now with high end gaming laptops having built in HDMI ports, Steam links, in home streaming etc. Especially now with these new consoles being massive and practically the same size a mid size desktop PC, there isn't really a big difference in terms of physical setup at this point.
I know what you mean. There is good justification in still having a desktop/office setup, but people associating PC gaming as only being done from a desk obviously don't PC game. Last time I was tethered to a traditional desktop setup was 12-15 years ago. There's been a plethora of options to PC game from a TV for years now.

If game consoles were banned tomorrow, I'd be able to seamlessly move solely to PC and not miss a beat.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9577 posts
4069 upvotes
Having a desktop PC hooked up to your main living room tv setup can be an eyesore or could be noisy.

I have my gaming pc and laptop set up on my computer desk with my 2nd consoles.

On my main tv setup I have my main consoles there and other electronic devices.

2 PS5s, 2 Switches, 1 Xbox Series X, 1 XBox One X, 2 ps4 pros, split between different tv and monitor setups in different rooms.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2007
1464 posts
787 upvotes
Etobicoke
XFactor11 wrote: Having a desktop PC hooked up to your main living room tv setup can be an eyesore or could be noisy.

I have my gaming pc and laptop set up on my computer desk with my 2nd consoles.

On my main tv setup I have my main consoles there and other electronic devices.

2 PS5s, 2 Switches, 1 Xbox Series X, 1 XBox One X, 2 ps4 pros, split between different tv and monitor setups in different rooms.
Hardcore setup!
Jul 31, 2007
764 posts
618 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: I know what you mean. There is good justification in still having a desktop/office setup, but people associating PC gaming as only being done from a desk obviously don't PC game. Last time I was tethered to a traditional desktop setup was 12-15 years ago. There's been a plethora of options to PC game from a TV for years now.

If game consoles were banned tomorrow, I'd be able to seamlessly move solely to PC and not miss a beat.
I'm surprised to see so many people still associate PC gaming as a "desk and chair" activity in 2021 as I've been PC gaming primarily from my couch on a big screen TV for well over a decade now. I use a docked laptop in my office for work so my gaming build has almost always been setup at my TV/couch but I guess other people don't own multiple computers and depend on the same computer for work and gaming? We didn't always have this many but at this point we own 5 laptops between the two of us (was 2-3 before we got new ones recently) which we use for work and other hobbies while my gaming PC has always been basically a dedicated gaming/media console that sits off to the side of my living room setup connected with a HDMI cable

you guys must be the exception lol, the vast majority of PC gamers and workers still do it at a desk in front a monitor, sitting in a chair (office or "gamer" chair), with a keyboard and mouse. I rarely see a different setup with a couch and TV connected to the PC. In some cases, they have the couch next to the desk and a long cable to connect all the way to the TV if necessary.

also the most important point is not necessarily how you game, but rather the fact that you are not gaming in the same place that you are working. I forgot the name, but there is this notion that you should separate your activities by room to promote mental health. So for example, you shouldn't work in your bedroom, sleep in your office, etc. It helps you maintain boundaries between your work and life and keep your sanity intact. So IMO, it's definitely better when you can go to work each day at the office and go back home and game on your home office, because now you are not spending all your time in the same room doing contradicting activities.

So if you are doing your work on your laptop in the living room but you game at your desk in a separate room, that should be perfectly fine. But if you are also using your living room to watch TV for example, that will cause some mental stress in this example.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8668 posts
5626 upvotes
Toronto
johncraven wrote: you guys must be the exception lol, the vast majority of PC gamers and workers still do it at a desk in front a monitor, sitting in a chair (office or "gamer" chair), with a keyboard and mouse. I rarely see a different setup with a couch and TV connected to the PC. In some cases, they have the couch next to the desk and a long cable to connect all the way to the TV if necessary.
I don't know man and I guess it depends on how technically savvy or not your personal circle of friends are. I work in IT so I've sort of always been ahead of the curve on stuff like this and have been PC gaming on a big screen TV since at least 2005 but even all my less technically savvy casual gamer friends who left consoles behind after the PS3/360 era have had dedicated HTPC living room setups since at least 2012-2013. This stuff isn't really rocket science anymore, Windows 10 has been catered for use on large 1080p/4K displays for at least 5 years and with Xbox integration for 2-3 years now.