Health & Wellness

Is there a standard to eye exams; are they essentially all the same?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2021 2:27 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
2076 posts
902 upvotes
ON

Is there a standard to eye exams; are they essentially all the same?

This is Ontario if it makes a difference. Do all optometrists do the same tests, etc.?

I haven't been to an optometrist in years but should get an eye exam to see if there's a factor involved in my headaches and such. Want to thoroughly check for disorders and not just here's a script for glasses. Are there questions I should be asking, e.g. if they do certain tests?

I was thinking of trying the University of Waterloo Eye Clinic cause there might be more resources there being part of the university, or is that just a misconception of mine? It's a little farther for me but worth it if they'll do more.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1854 posts
1104 upvotes
No, I don't think there is a "standard". When I was in school, I remember my eye exams were just vision check. No dilation, no eye pressure check. Then I went to an office where dilation, eye pressure check are standard for everyone, additional diagnostic tests (that need to pay out of pocket) are based on doctor's recommendations. But there are offices where they recommend diagnostic tests to everyone, don't check eye pressure for everyone. So I don't think there is a "standard". If you are healthy, with healthy eye pressure, in your 20s, 30s, do you really need those retinal tests every 2 year? It's up to you to discuss with your doctor and decide.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2632 upvotes
GTA West
I think any Optometrist can determine if you have a significant problem with your vision or if you need to be seen by a different practitioner. Dilation drops make it easier for the optometrist to see inside your eye but they seem happy enough to forego that if you need to drive after the appointment. So I don't think that is mandatory or critical unless you present with unusual vision problems.

Some of them promote additional tests using various machines, to generate more revenue. These may or may not be justified, depending on your age and history.

So expect different experiences with different optometrists.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23189 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
jjesskaka wrote: No, I don't think there is a "standard". When I was in school, I remember my eye exams were just vision check. No dilation, no eye pressure check. Then I went to an office where dilation, eye pressure check are standard for everyone, additional diagnostic tests (that need to pay out of pocket) are based on doctor's recommendations. But there are offices where they recommend diagnostic tests to everyone, don't check eye pressure for everyone. So I don't think there is a "standard". If you are healthy, with healthy eye pressure, in your 20s, 30s, do you really need those retinal tests every 2 year? It's up to you to discuss with your doctor and decide.
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I think any Optometrist can determine if you have a significant problem with your vision or if you need to be seen by a different practitioner. Dilation drops make it easier for the optometrist to see inside your eye but they seem happy enough to forego that if you need to drive after the appointment. So I don't think that is mandatory or critical unless you present with unusual vision problems.

Some of them promote additional tests using various machines, to generate more revenue. These may or may not be justified, depending on your age and history.

So expect different experiences with different optometrists.
I have insurance so I get my eyes checked every two years. I would do it every year if I could, but the terms of my insurance says every two years.