Computers & Electronics

Is there such an app to automatically back up pictures/videos from Android + Apple devices in the background?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2018 4:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6912 posts
5813 upvotes
Burlington

Is there such an app to automatically back up pictures/videos from Android + Apple devices in the background?

Just wondering what everyone uses to back up their precious photos. I know there are quite a few apps out there to do this, but so far I haven't been able to achieve all my goals. I am backing up to my NAS btw.
- I would like to back up, say once a week, silently, in the background.
- Pictures are synced, not copied and pasted. The reason is that, I would still like to keep the pictures on my phone, and do not want to have duplicates of the same pictures. I just want new pictures to be sent over to my NAS.
Say if I already have 00001.jpeg, 00002.jpeg..., 00099.jpeg on my NAS, and this week I have taken 10 pictures 00100.jpeg-00109.jpeg. I only want the new 10 pictures to be sent. I don't want another dup of 100 pictures I already have.
- Now my card is full, I either replace it, or clean it. When I take new pictures, it will start again at 00001.jpeg, 00002.jpeg, etc. My guess is that these pictures would not be sent due to conflict with my point above. What can I do?

Appreciate any suggestions!!!
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2805 upvotes
Google Photos already does that as long as you enable it for your Google account.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6912 posts
5813 upvotes
Burlington
Exp315 wrote: Google Photos already does that as long as you enable it for your Google account.
Just looking to do local to my NAS. Thanks though
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3790 posts
964 upvotes
Toronto
i personally use smbsync2 for android, i back up every night from my phone

i dont use apple (for good reason) so i dunno if the app's available on ios

and get yourself a bigger microsd card to avoid filename conflicts, which shouldn't happen in smartphones in the first place coz most of the time the filenames are based on date and time it was taken
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6912 posts
5813 upvotes
Burlington
chroma_cg wrote: i personally use smbsync2 for android, i back up every night from my phone

i dont use apple (for good reason) so i dunno if the app's available on ios

and get yourself a bigger microsd card to avoid filename conflicts, which shouldn't happen in smartphones in the first place coz most of the time the filenames are based on date and time it was taken
so your smbsync2 would do first 2 points perfectly?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3242 posts
1798 upvotes
Mississauga
Photos on OS X does what you want for iPhone but you need to have an icloud account enabled for photo use. Immediately after I take a photo it goes to the icloud, then comes back down to my Windows 10 and my OS X laptop. Photos on my OS X has my library on my external drive(a NAS will work). My external drive then does a Time Machine backup to another external drive.
You can substitute icloud for for other cloud storage like google photos or flickr and still get it done automatically.

If you want a cloud free solution then I think you have to manually initiate a sync nightly/weekly. E.g Sync your photos manually once a week through iTunes. iTunes will then automatically sync with Photos. Photos can run off your external NAS. Same process will apply if you are using Windows, manually sync with iTunes, iTunes automatically stores the photos on your NAS etc.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3242 posts
1798 upvotes
Mississauga
I just remember the iTunes wifi sync. It should be able to syn your photos onto your NAS
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1361 posts
249 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
konsensei wrote: Just looking to do local to my NAS. Thanks though
What time of NAS? If it's a QNAP, then Qsync might do what you want.
Jun 13, 2013
161 posts
25 upvotes
Ottawa
I use Amazon Prime Photos. You can set it up so that whenever you have a Wifi connection on your phone it'll automatically upload all your pictures (added since the last time) to the cloud which is fantastic. Not a free service but well worth it; I highly recommend it!
Jul 15, 2003
431 posts
221 upvotes
I setup owncloud at home on a spare box and have it connected to my NAS. The android app (possibly also the iOS) has the ability to sync photos and / or videos to owncloud, which just points to a share on the NAS
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2301 posts
1105 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
There are many such applications. Plex will sync all my photos and videos to my Plex server.

There are several personal cloud cloud apps that do the same thing.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3790 posts
964 upvotes
Toronto
konsensei wrote: so your smbsync2 would do first 2 points perfectly?
yes AFAIK. no duplicates on my NAS folder
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3471 posts
926 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
A lot of the sync apps out there will sync to a network drive. And some even have settings to run automatically on a schedule.

The problem is that they did a realtime comparison of the files on the target with the files on the phone. So your first sync would copy everything. Subsequent syncs would only copy new files on the phone. if you deleted old files on the phone that was ok. But if you ever deleted/renamed/moved the files on the target, the files would be re-backed up if they still existed on the phone. And i liked to sort through the files on my nas deleting bad photos or useless videos.

I found an app called photosync that did what i wanted. It saves the information locally on the phone as to what it has backed up. So if i tell it to only sync new files it will never re-backup something it has done previously.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6912 posts
5813 upvotes
Burlington
Kevinck wrote: A lot of the sync apps out there will sync to a network drive. And some even have settings to run automatically on a schedule.

The problem is that they did a realtime comparison of the files on the target with the files on the phone. So your first sync would copy everything. Subsequent syncs would only copy new files on the phone. if you deleted old files on the phone that was ok. But if you ever deleted/renamed/moved the files on the target, the files would be re-backed up if they still existed on the phone. And i liked to sort through the files on my nas deleting bad photos or useless videos.

I found an app called photosync that did what i wanted. It saves the information locally on the phone as to what it has backed up. So if i tell it to only sync new files it will never re-backup something it has done previously.
Does the syncing happen both ways? as in, if i delete some pictures on my phone, would it resync from my server?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3471 posts
926 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
konsensei wrote: Does the syncing happen both ways? as in, if i delete some pictures on my phone, would it resync from my server?
All those other generic sync apps would have that option. you can do one way or two way syncs with all sorts of options on what to do upon deletions or duplicates etc.

Photosync seems to be only meant to sync from your phone to a target. That's the defaults and how i wanted it to behave. I just checked the settings and didn't see anything about syncing from the target back to the phone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)