Is there such a thing as a hold deposit in BC

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2019 11:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 8, 2019
2 posts

Is there such a thing as a hold deposit in BC

Is there such a thing as a hold deposit in BC? I cant seem to find anything about it. I ask because a friend of mine had put a deposit on a rental (she assumed it was damage deposit). She then changed her mind about moving in before signing a lease, because she found a job in a different city. Now the landlord is claiming her deposit was non refundable because it wasn't a damage deposit, it was meant to hold the property until she moved in. I don't remember seeing anything like this in the tenants regs in bc. All her receipt says is deposit.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9550 posts
5958 upvotes
Edmonton
She should contact her local LTB, but the fun part may be that since she’s not actually a tenant yet, she has no protection.

Why would she give a deposit without signing a lease?

C
[OP]
Apr 8, 2019
2 posts
CNeufeld wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 8:34 am
She should contact her local LTB, but the fun part may be that since she’s not actually a tenant yet, she has no protection.

Why would she give a deposit without signing a lease?

C
To hold the unit. She was not moving in until halfway through April and the owner wanted money to hold it for her until then.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9550 posts
5958 upvotes
Edmonton
BruceB69975 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 7:46 pm
To hold the unit. She was not moving in until halfway through April and the owner wanted money to hold it for her until then.
She could have signed the lease for whatever day was appropriate. Then she would have been protected. Hindsight is 20/20, of course.

C