Real Estate

There is a typo with my name registered with house. The lawyer never corrected it. How to correct it now?

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2021 1:54 pm
[OP]
Jan 24, 2017
128 posts
47 upvotes

There is a typo with my name registered with house. The lawyer never corrected it. How to correct it now?

A few year ago when we bought our house, there is a typo with my name registered with house. I corrected it on lawyer's printed paper on closing day. However, the lawyer did not correct it with title registration. Each time, when I tried to apply line credit or house appraisal. I see my name is wrong. Where and How to correct it now?
Last edited by lhq2100 on May 12th, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10 replies
May 7, 2015
743 posts
1177 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lhq2100 wrote: Thank you! I will follow up with my former lawyer to see what happens.
I’d get a new one. ESP since last one proved incompetent. But the former lawyer might fix it pro Bono.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2017
128 posts
47 upvotes
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: I’d get a new one. ESP since last one proved incompetent. But the former lawyer might fix it pro Bono.
How much does it take to correct the TYPO such as from HOA to HAO?
Does it matter to leave it as it is until sale in future?
[OP]
Jan 24, 2017
128 posts
47 upvotes
I sent an email to my former lawyer. I have not received any response from her. I just sent another following up email to see what happens?
Banned
Aug 11, 2018
996 posts
927 upvotes
lhq2100 wrote: I sent an email to my former lawyer. I have not received any response from her. I just sent another following up email to see what happens?
clearly she's not worth your time. find another one to correct the issue.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2017
1213 posts
973 upvotes
GVA
lhq2100 wrote: I sent an email to my former lawyer. I have not received any response from her. I just sent another following up email to see what happens?
Just give them a call and demand correction in timely manner. You can also file complain at law society if you are ignored again and get new lawyer.
profit on 6/23/2021 = 117.61% since 11/10/2020 to be exact😎
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4637 upvotes
Montréal
What was the cause for the name error? I would assume that your lawyer should've been on top of it and any rectification should be on her dime unless something new comes up.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2017
128 posts
47 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: What was the cause for the name error? I would assume that your lawyer should've been on top of it and any rectification should be on her dime unless something new comes up.
It's spelling typo. It should be HAO, but written as HOA; It should be QIANG, written QLANG; These typo appears almost all documents on the closing day. Her assistant let us correct it on the printed paper and told us that it would be corrected, but did not. Several month later after closing day, we received a letter told us the correction was done, but not for the title registration. The typo still appears on today's title.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4637 upvotes
Montréal
lhq2100 wrote: It's spelling typo. It should be HAO, but written as HOA; It should be QIANG, written QLANG; These typo appears almost all documents on the closing day. Her assistant let us correct it on the printed paper and told us that it would be corrected, but did not. Several month later after closing day, we received a letter told us the correction was done, but not for the title registration. The typo still appears on today's title.
I can't see the pic, but shall I assume that all you did was just provide them w your IDs and they made the typo? Unless you did something to make them confused, your lawyer is responsible and should be doing everything to fix this error at no cost to you since it was her mistake.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.