Computers & Electronics

Is There a usb that connects to a Macbook SSD?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2020 9:58 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5645 posts
3230 upvotes
Ottawa

Is There a usb that connects to a Macbook SSD?

Those wee 28 pin blighters from late 2015 onward? External cables for these seem to hard to find. Anywho, daughter's 5 y.o. Macbook Air seems to have bought the farm (Apple store says logic board - $900 to fix and that's definitely a nope on a 5 y.o. laptop) and it won't boot up. She'd like to salvage some of her files and I figured I would pull the SSD and hook it up in one of my myriad of enclosures. This is the part where it's obvious that I am a Microsoft guy because none of my enclosures are compatible.

My alternative is to put the SSD in her sister's identical Macbook and copy the data onto an external HD.

Suggestions appreciated.
14 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17327 posts
3773 upvotes
Toronto
If the MacBook Air or Pro is a 2013 to 2015 model, the SSD uses a proprietary Apple 12+16 pin connector.

The original Apple SSDs for the 2013 to 2015 Air/Pro are AHCI, not NVMe.

The simplest solution would be to put he SSD into another MacBook and copy of the data.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13236 posts
2465 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
CaptSmethwick wrote: (Apple store says logic board - $900 to fix and that's definitely a nope on a 5 y.o. laptop)
It's been proven that Apple stores are full of crap, by CBC + Louis Rossman.

Ask around for a local repair shop who can do logic board repairs to get a second opinion. Apple will always tell you that you need to replace the whole board when the solution may be to replace a few chips.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5645 posts
3230 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks all. I did search for enclosures - they are either unavailable or too expensive. It's a Macbook Air and it was purchased in late 2015, the SSD is marked 05-2015 so it's not the early form of SSD. I just may do the swap to copy the HD from the other computer.

I hear you on Apple stores - like a lot of places these days, they want to swap parts, not repair. It won't boot up at all - not even power to illuminate the keyboard. Won't even take a charge (as far as I can tell). I suspect it's the power management components of the logic board. I may eventually have a go at getting it fixed or swapping in a replacement board myself - but they're pretty pricey too.

Do I have to have a pet as my avatar to post here??
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17327 posts
3773 upvotes
Toronto
Was the MacBook exposed to moisture or dropped?

The logic board is not difficult to swap if you have the right screwdrivers and patience. I've done plenty. All components in the mid-2013 to early 2017 13" Air are completely interchangeable. Same goes for the mid-2013 to early 2015 11" Air.

Here's what I suggest: disconnect the battery for a few hours, connect the charger without re-connecting the battery, don't touch any keys or the power button. Hopefully, the MacBook will power up on its own. If it doesn't, leave the battery disconnected, disconnect the charger, disconnect the trackpad from the logic board, connect the charger, don't touch any keys or the power button, and see if it powers up on its own.

Apple always replaces parts and I don't blame them. They always offer a 90 day warranty on repairs and it's easier to replace the entire logic board rather than trying to diagnose which chips need replacement. Although replacing one chip will allow the MacBook to function, there may be other chips that may be in the process of failing. Who wants to bring it back again after a week to find that another chip has failed?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4693 posts
2813 upvotes
The year is 2020, people are still not backing up files daily? Is she sure those files aren't anywhere else by chance?

I learned it the hard way first year university, before cloud backup was a thing I would have important work on USB and emailed to myself.

I'm 100% cloud backup for daily even for home and work.

...or is this because the new Macbook Air's were announced yesterday? They look great on paper!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5645 posts
3230 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks audit13. There was some evidence of a minor spill but it looks like it was years old. That being said, I have only taken off the bottom and seen the logic board only from that side. Daughter brought the laptop back from the Apple store with the battery disconnected. I noticed that when I plugged it in and the charger's red light was on. Once I connected the battery and plugged it back in, the magsafe light glowed green, as expected. I have just disconnected it again and will try again in a few hours.

In a nutshell, though, although the Macbook Air is in good condition, a working used one is cheaper than replacing the logic board. If I can get it working again, it's worth a shot - so thanks for the suggestions. If I can't, we'll cut our losses, retrieve the data and buy a current model. In my view, five years is a good life for a laptop.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17327 posts
3773 upvotes
Toronto
CaptSmethwick wrote: Thanks audit13. There was some evidence of a minor spill but it looks like it was years old. That being said, I have only taken off the bottom and seen the logic board only from that side. Daughter brought the laptop back from the Apple store with the battery disconnected. I noticed that when I plugged it in and the charger's red light was on. Once I connected the battery and plugged it back in, the magsafe light glowed green, as expected. I have just disconnected it again and will try again in a few hours.

In a nutshell, though, although the Macbook Air is in good condition, a working used one is cheaper than replacing the logic board. If I can get it working again, it's worth a shot - so thanks for the suggestions. If I can't, we'll cut our losses, retrieve the data and buy a current model. In my view, five years is a good life for a laptop.
Damage caused by liquid residue can sometimes take a while to appear. My nephew's 2012 13" Pro was exposed to liquids. He brought me his MacBook about 1.5 years later because it finally stopped powering up. I managed to clean it out, power it up, and retrieve his data but the USB ports were dead. He managed to use it for another 6 months with Bluetooth devices until he upgraded.

If you can't get it going, I suggest removing he logic board and thoroughly cleaning it with a Q-tip and pure isopropyl alcohol to remove any residue. It's possible that the residue is causing a temporary short that is preventing the MacBook from powering up.

Good luck.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5645 posts
3230 upvotes
Ottawa
audit13 wrote: Damage caused by liquid residue can sometimes take a while to appear. My nephew's 2012 13" Pro was exposed to liquids. He brought me his MacBook about 1.5 years later because it finally stopped powering up. I managed to clean it out, power it up, and retrieve his data but the USB ports were dead. He managed to use it for another 6 months with Bluetooth devices until he upgraded.

If you can't get it going, I suggest removing he logic board and thoroughly cleaning it with a Q-tip and pure isopropyl alcohol to remove any residue. It's possible that the residue is causing a temporary short that is preventing the MacBook from powering up.

Good luck.
Thanks. She claims to have a minor red wine "splash" a few years ago. I cleaned up the bottom side of the logic board with q-tips and isopropyl alcohol and whatever was there was minor. That being said, there were a few parts of the board that I didn't like the looks of. Nothing's forever and five years is a good life. I will give it a thorough cleaning if I get it going and will round back to here to close the loop. Thanks for your time and insight.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13236 posts
2465 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
CaptSmethwick wrote: we'll cut our losses, retrieve the data and buy a current model.
If you buy another Mac, you may want to check out the repairability first. I wouldn't be surprised if the SSD is soldered onto the board, so either get a proper notebook or back up like there's no tomorrow.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17327 posts
3773 upvotes
Toronto
All MacBooks will have the SSD soldered to the logic board except for MacBooks from 2016 and 2017 without the Touch Bar.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13236 posts
2465 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I guess Tim Co k is doling out the pounding to another level. I'm glad I don't Apple :) .
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5645 posts
3230 upvotes
Ottawa
A soldered in SSD is a bad idea. I guess it saves a couple of grams of weight vs having connectors. My daughter studies interior design and finds the old Air doesn't have the computing power to keep up so I am not going to bother to repair it - I will keep it for parts for the other daughter who is studying justice and history.