Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
1777 posts
930 upvotes
SW ON

Is there a way to contact RockAuto?

They messed up my order. One filter didn't fit. There is only a way to request a replacement. I select "Part Didn't fit". The options become "Issue me a refund for this part" and "Ship a replacement part to me". The second option doesn't make sense. What's the use for another part that wouldn't fit? OK, I can get a refund but I want them to correct the error in their database and I want to reorder that particular filter that would fit. The other filter had "2 required per vehicle". So, I ordered 2 and got two packs of filters with 2 filters in each pack. I want them to correct that too.

When I tried to find any contact I found this: "RockAuto is a completely online company. We do not have a customer service phone number to provide assistance over the phone. All of our customer service resources are available 24/7 online!" I don't want to call them. I'd like to write a comment but can't find any contact info or a field where I can write something. Does anyone know a way to contact them?
8 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28321 posts
8784 upvotes
alpovs wrote: They messed up my order. One filter didn't fit. There is only a way to request a replacement. I select "Part Didn't fit". The options become "Issue me a refund for this part" and "Ship a replacement part to me". The second option doesn't make sense. What's the use for another part that wouldn't fit? OK, I can get a refund but I want them to correct the error in their database and I want to reorder that particular filter that would fit. The other filter had "2 required per vehicle". So, I ordered 2 and got two packs of filters with 2 filters in each pack. I want them to correct that too.
There's quite a variety of reasons why a part might not fit...
1. You ordered the wrong part
2. They have the wrong part listed for an application
3. The manufacturer of the part has listed it incorrectly
4. The part# your ordered was correct but what you got in the box was incorrect (order picking/shipping error)
5. The part# you ordered was correct and the manufacturer box you got has the right number but the part inside that box was the wrong part (manufacturer packaging error)

So, in some cases (like #s 4 & 5) shipping you a replacement might remedy the problem. In others you might just get a new-but-still-same/incorrect part again. The website is designed to ask you a series of questions to determine this. Depending on the reason the part is wrong, you may get a free return, or you may have to pay half the shipping cost to return (deducted from your refund), or you may have to pay the entire shipping cost (this happens when you made the mistake).

I don't think they "fix their database" upon just one or two reports either. They may look into it and confirm, see they are wrong, and update; but sometimes it's the manufacturer of the part that listed it wrong.

I ordered some rear rotors last year and though the rotors were listed by the maker (Raybestos) as fitting the car, they did not. The rotor was the right type and diameter, but the hat on the rotor was not as deep as the original rotor meaning it could not fit. It seems the rotor would fit other cars on the same platform with the same rear brakes/caliper but not this particular model due to where the caliper sits. I then visited another manufacturer site which showed the exact rotor specs with all the dimensions (technical sketch/drawings available) and found that was indeed the problem--the hat was not deep/high enough. I still had to pay half the shipping to return but whatevs at least I returned them. Strangely had I just returned one rotor the shipping would be free, but two I had to pay half :confused: A little odd but like I said it wasn't a huge amount so I just returned 'em.

Speaking of people correcting this stuff I had an even worse time with PowerStop. Ordered brake pads which were again listed for the car but didn't fit correctly. They had a wear sensor on both brake pads while the car is only equipped for one--on the driver's side. Not a big problem? Well...the other problem was that the connectors were the wrong gender! Since the sensor wouldn't pull out of the new brake pads, couldn't swap 'em, so had to cut the wires and solder the old connector on so it would fit. Then cut the other side's wire entirely. Then there was a bracket on the outboard pads which locked the pad into the caliper, which the previous pads did not have. Seemed okay until you tried to put the caliper spring clamp in--it would hit that bracket :facepalm: So I had to bend that part of the bracket back/forth to snap it off. After that all was good lol. Anyway I reported this to PowerStop who...never even gave a word of reply or acknowledgement :rolleyes: Since I was able to fit the pads and everything it wasn't a big deal but I wanted them to know to either de-list it as a compatible application or at least make the small changes to produce a version that was compatible. Instead they did nothing, including not even bothering to reply. Losers. While I've had great success with other PowerStop products in the past, I probably won't buy from them again due to this kind of insolence!

So good luck getting anyone in the auto parts industry to fix these kind of things.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
5060 posts
694 upvotes
happened to me twice.

once with a cabin filter. the dimensions were correct, but the pleats were going the opposite direction (the filter housing had a slit in the middle) so it would not fit.
Went through the same series of online questions and they shipped a replacement. Same issue with the replacement. Had to search all around to find their email address as well. Notified them via email that their part is wrong and sent pics. They refunded the order and updated the website within a couple days.

second time was with lug nuts. The mag style were too deep compare to the oem to fit the oem rims. unfortunately didn't find out until seasonal swap and it was too late to return.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
1777 posts
930 upvotes
SW ON
azncapcom wrote: happened to me twice.

once with a cabin filter. the dimensions were correct, but the pleats were going the opposite direction (the filter housing had a slit in the middle) so it would not fit.
Went through the same series of online questions and they shipped a replacement. Same issue with the replacement. Had to search all around to find their email address as well. Notified them via email that their part is wrong and sent pics. They refunded the order and updated the website within a couple days.

second time was with lug nuts. The mag style were too deep compare to the oem to fit the oem rims. unfortunately didn't find out until seasonal swap and it was too late to return.
Thanks. Can you share the email address? Is it the same as mentioned above in the second post?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
1777 posts
930 upvotes
SW ON
I tried to request a replacement for the wrong size cabin filter, went through several automated questions and got this result: "We are unable to accept a return of this item since it was installed and/or used." All the links for this item became inactive. I can't request a refund or anything else. They shipped me a wrong part and cut me out. Not nice. I emailed them, will see what happens.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
1777 posts
930 upvotes
SW ON
alpovs wrote: I emailed them, will see what happens.
To my brief and detailed description of the problem I got this response:
"To review order details, check an order status, report a problem with your order, or arrange a return, please visit our Order Status & Returns page. For instructions, please see Help with Existing Orders.
Thank you again for helping us keep our prices low by using our online resources"

They don't really care.