Cell Phones

Is there a way to limit a charge on ios or android devices?

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2020 3:57 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5750 posts
1924 upvotes

Is there a way to limit a charge on ios or android devices?

Just wondering becasue they ahve that in computers.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5591 posts
1127 upvotes
Montreal
At one time, I had a battery optimization app on my Android phone that limited charging on my android phone to 80% on the basis that charging the battery to 100% reduces its life expectancy. I took it off after a while as I prefer the longer run time even if it lessens my battery lifespan. Unfortunately, I don't recall its name but I suppose it should be findable in the app store or with Google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Optimiz ... e&ie=UTF-8
Phils
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1850 posts
583 upvotes
Phils wrote: At one time, I had a battery optimization app on my Android phone that limited charging on my android phone to 80% on the basis that charging the battery to 100% reduces its life expectancy. I took it off after a while as I prefer the longer run time even if it lessens my battery lifespan. Unfortunately, I don't recall its name but I suppose it should be findable in the app store or with Google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Optimiz ... e&ie=UTF-8
Now all batteries are equipped with circuitry that reduces charging to trickle and prevents thrir overcharging
Jan 4, 2019
441 posts
426 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: Just wondering becasue they ahve that in computers.
Like computers, phones depend on the phone and software available to you and your know how.

Most phones don't have this out of the box. Some can be added such as through rooting.
Mar 2, 2017
116 posts
92 upvotes
While batteries are pretty good at limiting significant damage from excessive charging, manufactures are still trying to strike that balance between capacity and longevity. From everything I've read, if you don't need a full battery's worth of power every day, regularly keeping the charge below 100% will allow the battery to degrade a little slower.

I've used a wall timer for a few years and it seems to work pretty well. I typically only use about 40% of my phone's battery every day, so charging it to 80%, draining it to 40% and charging back to 80% seems to be a reasonable approach. I discovered that with a 5V 1A charger, the phone charges up at a pretty linear rate of about 90 seconds per 1% (at least within that 40-80% range). I also have an old digital wall timer that only has + and - buttons and only works in increments of 5 minutes. Annoying for general use, but great for this.

For example, before I head for bed I glance at my phone. Let's say the battery's at 46%. If 80% is my target, I want to add a 34% charge. Multiply that by 1.5 (for the 90s/1%) and you get 51min. Round that down to the nearest 5 (for the timer that works in 5 min intervals) and you get 50min. The timer is always set to come on at 3am. A couple clicks to adjust the off time from night before and it's set to go off at 3:50. Plug it in and head to bed. I'll wake up to a phone that's ready to go with an 80% charge (give or take 1 or 2%).

Something like this won't work for everyone, but it seems to work great for me. Charges up in the middle of the night so there's no inconvenience. I'm happy to use a standard 5V 1A charger (ie not a quick charger) as I'm not sitting around waiting for it, which is better for the battery. No trickle charging at the end, which is better for the battery. And it's not getting used while it's charging, which is also better for the battery.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
14751 posts
3653 upvotes
Markham
iOS 13 has Optimized Battery Charging
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT210512
With iOS 13 and later, Optimized Battery Charging is designed to reduce the wear on your battery and improve its lifespan by reducing the time your iPhone spends fully charged. When the feature is enabled, your iPhone will delay charging past 80% in certain situations. Your iPhone uses on-device machine learning to learn your daily charging routine so that Optimized Battery Charging activates only when your iPhone predicts it will be connected to a charger for an extended period of time. The algorithm aims to ensure that your iPhone is still fully charged when unplugged.

Optimized Battery Charging is on by default when you set up your iPhone or after updating to iOS 13 or later. To turn off the feature, go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health > Optimized Battery Charging.
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Jan 12, 2020
487 posts
671 upvotes
I remember chasing the battery health dragon back in the day.

Now I just replace my smartphone battery after two to three years and charge it whenever the hell I feel like it.

I generally keep my phones for four to six years, so I aim to replace the battery at the midway point. I try to be a bit proactive, so that I don't barely eek out five years on the first battery and then have the kickass new second battery life for only a year until I buy my next phone.

I write-off the extra twenty bucks a year as just part of the basic cost of the modern miracle of having a supercomputer/TV/library/communicator/GPS/atlas/camera/videocamera/game console/encyclopedia/music player in my pocket at all times.