Cell Phones

Is there a way to pay off a phone from a Telco within 12 months (with or without a plan)?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2020 8:38 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1445 posts
2015 upvotes
Waterloo Region

Is there a way to pay off a phone from a Telco within 12 months (with or without a plan)?

Let me explain this carefully because somehow a lot of folks get riled up and assume this has to be shady (or that's the look the reps at stores gave me last year),

So my company covers my cellphone plan fees up to $100 a month, I only need to provide an invoice with my phone number on it from a Telco. But I realized I don't need the really expensive phone plans, not with great data-only plans around paired fongo/other VOIP offerings. So what I would really love to do is get a phone from a Carrier and pay the phone fees over say 12 months. The only problem is that the Telcos only sell high end phones with their top tier plans, on a 2 year contract. For example Freedom wouldn't give me an S10 with any plan less than their $60/month plan, with the contract lasting a minimum of 2 years. I would have really loved to have bought the phone, paid them the $100 bucks monthly and be done in a year, that way I can switch phones yearly.

Think of this as selective maximization ... Thanks ji2o0k

For me the most ideal option would have been a one year cellphone plan, but those are not offered by Telcos anymore. The next best thing would be to get a data only plan from a Telco and get the phone from them paying monthly, possibly up to $85/month. That way in 12 months the phone is about paid off, while I am still meeting the requirements from my company.

Does anyone know a way this scenario could work? I know Samsung offers an installment option, but I assume that might not pass muster with the billing department as Samsung isn't a recognized carrier.
Last edited by Gangsta101 on Jul 10th, 2020 9:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20958 posts
10472 upvotes
Oakville
Phone companies aren't in the business of selling phones, they're in the business of selling overpriced phone services. The phones are just a way for them to lure you in. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to do what you want to do.
Apr 25, 2019
736 posts
1341 upvotes
Your best bet is Samsung installment plans. Or getting a credit card like Brim Mastercard or CIBC as they do offer you installments on almost anything over a certain amount. (i.e. Brim MC minimum installment amount is $500. Whereas with CIBC Pace it, it's $250 minimum. You can select the length of the installment period. (6, 12, or 24 month periods.) Then you can get a BYOD plan on a cheap carrier.
Edit: Or maybe you're talking about a program where you can upgrade yearly, I don't think any of the carriers offer this anymore. So, I think your only options are buying a phone outright or doing the above suggestions.
Public Mobile 5GB $29
Samsung Galaxy A53 owner.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1445 posts
2015 upvotes
Waterloo Region
LeifS39303 wrote: Your best bet is Samsung installment plans. Or getting a credit card like Brim Mastercard or CIBC as they do offer you installments on almost anything over a certain amount. (i.e. Brim MC minimum installment amount is $500. Whereas with CIBC Pace it, it's $250 minimum. You can select the length of the installment period. (6, 12, or 24 month periods.) Then you can get a BYOD plan on a cheap carrier.
Edit: Or maybe you're talking about a program where you can upgrade yearly, I don't think any of the carriers offer this anymore. So, I think your only options are buying a phone outright or doing the above suggestions.
I like the way you think, i don't believe the Brim Mastercard invoice will pass muster. I was looking at Costco but realized they do not offer installment plans for anything. I will be calling you Walmart later to see if their wireless service offers something like this. and yes, those yearly upgrade plans would have been the best. i wonder if i could just cold-call them to see if they would agree
Apr 25, 2019
736 posts
1341 upvotes
Gangsta101 wrote: I like the way you think, i don't believe the Brim Mastercard invoice will pass muster. I was looking at Costco but realized they do not offer installment plans for anything. I will be calling you Walmart later to see if their wireless service offers something like this. and yes, those yearly upgrade plans would have been the best. i wonder if i could just cold-call them to see if they would agree
Maybe you're looking for something like this:
https://iworldconnect.com/pages/owniphone
VIP Connect+.
Public Mobile 5GB $29
Samsung Galaxy A53 owner.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1456 posts
592 upvotes
Vancouver
Gangsta101 wrote: Let me explain this carefully because somehow a lot of folks get riled up and assume this has to be shady (or that's the look the reps at stores gave me last year),

So my company covers my cellphone plan fees up to $100 a month, I only need to provide an invoice with my phone number on it from a Telco. But I realized I don't need the really expensive phone plans, not with great data-only plans around paired fongo/other VOIP offerings. So what I would really love to do is get a phone from a Carrier and pay the phone fees over say 12 months. The only problem is that the Telcos only sell high end phones with their top tier plans, on a 2 year contract. For example Freedom wouldn't give me an S10 with any plan less than their $60/month plan, with the contract lasting a minimum of 2 years. I would have really loved to have bought the phone, paid them the $100 bucks monthly and be done in a year, that way I can switch phones yearly.

For me the most ideal option would be to get a data only plan from a Telco and get the phone from them paying monthly, possibly up to $85/month. That way in 12 months the phone is about paid off, while I am still meeting the requirements from my company.

Does anyone know a way this scenario could work? I know Samsung offers an installment option, but I assume that might not pass muster with the billing department as Samsung isn't a recognized carrier.
So what you are saying is your company is willing to pay for your phone plan. But instead of actually going on a phone plan you wanted to cheat your company, get a high end cell phone on a monthly plan but not actually using ANY CELL PHONE SERVICE. Have them generate a bill with the monthly payment for the phone so you can get your company to pay for your phone you sign up use some cheap 3rd party VOIP or data only service. That sound about right?
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23217 posts
4979 upvotes
Toronto
sponge5307 wrote: So what you are saying is your company is willing to pay for your phone plan. But instead of actually going on a phone plan you wanted to cheat your company, get a high end cell phone on a monthly plan but not actually using ANY CELL PHONE SERVICE. Have them generate a bill with the monthly payment for the phone so you can get your company to pay for your phone you sign up use some cheap 3rd party VOIP or data only service. That sound about right?
lol - think of it as "selective maximization".....

I think as long as the OP is able to use their cellphone & services and is fully reachable by their company - if OP is able to balance the cost of services & new phone all under $100 - that is ok.

I think this is similar to food allowance - company gives you food allowance while traveling. If you decide to make it a 100% liquid lunch & no dishes or entrees yet fall within the food allowance threshold - company will still reimburse you for the "food" you consumed while traveling.

OR

OP could sign up for Freedom Mobile - get a cheaper plan with data with a phone.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1445 posts
2015 upvotes
Waterloo Region
LeifS39303 wrote: Maybe you're looking for something like this:
https://iworldconnect.com/pages/owniphone
VIP Connect+.
Thanks, however i believe this has the same drawback as getting a cellphone from samsung directly. I get only the phone, but not a plan to base it off.
ji2o0k wrote: lol - think of it as "selective maximization".....

I think as long as the OP is able to use their cellphone & services and is fully reachable by their company - if OP is able to balance the cost of services & new phone all under $100 - that is ok.

I think this is similar to food allowance - company gives you food allowance while traveling. If you decide to make it a 100% liquid lunch & no dishes or entrees yet fall within the food allowance threshold - company will still reimburse you for the "food" you consumed while traveling.

OR

OP could sign up for Freedom Mobile - get a cheaper plan with data with a phone.
This!!!
I knew i would get comments from folks who feel offended by the idea of using a cellphone for just a year, but your concept of selective maximization, boy, that's nothing short of brilliant. I am going to add that to the OP.
Jan 17, 2013
770 posts
365 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: I think this is similar to food allowance - company gives you food allowance while traveling. If you decide to make it a 100% liquid lunch & no dishes or entrees yet fall within the food allowance threshold - company will still reimburse you for the "food" you consumed while traveling.
It doesn't work that way. Most companies require a receipt for claims while travelling. Company may give you $20 meal allowance, but if you have Burger King for $5, you get a reimbursement of $5 and not $20 because your receipt say it's $5.

Any claims over that $5 example is outright fraud.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1445 posts
2015 upvotes
Waterloo Region
ji2o0k wrote:
lol - think of it as "selective maximization".....

stack21 wrote: It doesn't work that way. Most companies require a receipt for claims while travelling. Company may give you $20 meal allowance, but if you have Burger King for $5, you get a reimbursement of $5 and not $20 because your receipt say it's $5.

I see you are struggling to understand his analogy. That's too bad.
I could spend all night trying to convince you that what I am looking for isn't "fraudulent", but something tells me it will take more energy than I am willing to spare. So let me put it this way.
1. Telcos only offer 24 months contract. This works best for them, as they can lock you in for 2 years and have you pay for more than you need.
2. I am looking for a way to make this a 12 months contract. This works best for me, I do not wish to be locked into a 2 year deal by paying for services i do need or use, i just want that money to go into what i would appreciate more, i.e. less data, more hardware
Hope this sits right with you now?
Jan 17, 2013
770 posts
365 upvotes
Gangsta101 wrote: I see you are struggling to understand his analogy. That's too bad.
I could spend all night trying to convince you that what I am looking for isn't "fraudulent", but something tells me it will take more energy than I am willing to spare. So let me put it this way.
1. Telcos only offer 24 months contract. This works best for them, as they can lock you in for 2 years and have you pay for more than you need.
2. I am looking for a way to make this a 12 months contract. This works best for me, I do not wish to be locked into a 2 year deal by paying for services i do need or use, i just want that money to go into what i would appreciate more, i.e. less data, more hardware
Hope this sits right with you now?
You are talking about 2 different things now: In this reply, you talked about company paying for 24 months contract but you want company to pay for a 12-months contract. That is ok and up to your negotiation with company.

But earlier you are talking about (Any way to buy a phone from Carrier in installments without a plan?) per your post title, then it is not right as company offers to pay for a cell phone plan and not a cell phone installments without a plan. It is no longer selective maximization but deceptive maximization, lol.

You can possibly just get the flagship from Koodo, put it on the tab with a premium plan, monthly bill turns out to eg. $170, company pays $100, you pay $70. After one month, change to the cheapest plan or even prepaid. Hopefully, that would bring the monthly bill to under $100.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1445 posts
2015 upvotes
Waterloo Region
Finally we are getting past the hiccups.
Yes the title could use some work, but truth be told I was trying to workout what I needed while I was typing it, so if you read the opening post you'll see I stated that what I really wanted was a way to get a phone without the 2 year contract everyone was offering, and the only thing I thought was available was 1. Get the phone on installment basis, and 2. Get the plan I needed, preferably from the same carrier, for it to pass muster with payroll. I'll probably work on a more appropriate title tomorrow (really sleepy now Slightly Smiling Face)

About Koodo, I know I looked into this briefly 2 years ago but can't remember why I didn't follow through. I think somehow they take any extra payments you make and do not add it to the tab balance but instead pay off what they claim to be the discounted part of your cell phone purchase. But I will definitely look into this option again. Much appreciated
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23217 posts
4979 upvotes
Toronto
stack21 wrote: It doesn't work that way. Most companies require a receipt for claims while travelling. Company may give you $20 meal allowance, but if you have Burger King for $5, you get a reimbursement of $5 and not $20 because your receipt say it's $5.

I know companies require a receipt for claims.

My example was my company doesn’t care if my receipt says $5 for a plate of fries + $15 for 2 pints OR $20 Angus steak...

As long as $20 on the receipt from a resto, company will reimburse.

Hence the “selective maximization”.

Same with OP. He could get a crappy plan & a nice phone OR an expensive plan & a crappy phone.

As long as receipt from telco shows the amount, his company will reimburse $100 per month.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0