• Sep 19th, 2020 11:10 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 22, 2019
17 posts
1 upvote

Thermals / Base Layer

Hi,

I just moved from south Asia to Canada this year and this is going to be my first winter. Where do you recommend to buy thermal Top and pants?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1656 posts
833 upvotes
Check out Uniqlo, don't forget socks (merino wool material) would be ideal.
Mar 14, 2013
382 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
Any sporting goods store such as sportchek, sporting life will have them. They will be a bit pricier. But if you want quality then those would do. Layering cheaper versions such as the one the person above mentioned from uniqlo will work just as well. They have different levels of warmth and are fairly cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
5288 posts
1116 upvotes
I use the polyester base layers from MEC for many years.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1767 posts
1105 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
I get the base layers from Costco. We use them for skiing/boarding, skating. I have even winter camped with them at -17 with proper layers. If you are more hardcore or out for longer periods of time, I did find the Under Amour warmer, but about 4 times the price.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10016 posts
1494 upvotes
I got mine from Mountain Warehouse, merino wool. Less than $50 each and I love them. Durable.
Jun 4, 2013
389 posts
187 upvotes
Vancouver
Uiiqlo. I also have some made form helly hansen. The one from Uniqlo is more comfy for everyday use. They might not be as warm as HH, HH is way warmer but is also very tight and it gets a bit too hot when indoor. So unless you plan to stay outside and doing sports I think Uniqlo would be a better choice.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10614 posts
5691 upvotes
Markham
I wear Uniqlo Heattech pretty much everyday as a underlayer. Buy the regular and extra warm ones for those really cold days. Buy it so it fits snug. Wait for a sale though..I think it's $15 when it's on sale.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1286 posts
1274 upvotes
Toronto
Uniqlo is probably your best bet. Some of the other suggestions are good but really meant for active use.
Nov 21, 2008
714 posts
176 upvotes
Right now from sport chek, you can get Helly Hansen 100% merino long underwear for $55 (EXPIRES TOMORROW).
Alternatively, you can get Uniqlo heattech ultra warm for $25.

Merino breaths better and doesn't smell. Best offers available at the moment.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1877 posts
453 upvotes
In Hiding
When will the base layers be available from Costco and Uniqlo? By the time I look for them each year, they're sold out.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1767 posts
1105 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
base layers have started to come out now at Costco.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1877 posts
453 upvotes
In Hiding
Macx2mommy wrote: base layers have started to come out now at Costco.
Thanks! Managed to order them, some sellers on Amazon are charging exhorbitant prices for the Paradox items (last year).
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1828 posts
478 upvotes
North York
Don't forget a toque. Keep your head warm! Uniqlo is great as mentioned, The Bay during sales, Under Armour at sports stores and the Vaughan Mills outlet.