• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2020 10:38 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2647 posts
846 upvotes
GTA

Thermometer for water for various teas?

Please can someone recommend a thermometer for water temperature for different types of tea? I usually just add freshly boiled water, so some teas don't taste their best. Link to Amazon item appreciated as I'm still hiding at home.
6 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10215 posts
5529 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Black teas like the hottest water (just making a pot of Brooke Bond Red Label). The others less so.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I like my Thermapen but I don't think you want to spend $100+
My "poor man's" Thermapen is probably Lavatools at $35 at Amazon.

Not as fast and not as long a probe as a Thermapen but also 1/3 the price.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32144 posts
15425 upvotes
Socially Distanced
An IR temp reader may be accurate enough.
Though i would go with a name brand and not some no name piece of junk. CT puts them on sale often enough.
You will also find a bit of a learning curve at getting good readings, its not as accurate as a physical temperature read, but if you blow off the steam and take the reading within a couple inches from the water you might find it acceptable.

That said Captain Picard recommends Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
I have a pretty basic kettle with a temperture setting on it, its not fancy schmancy and was not expensive, i think we paid 30 or 40 bucks at wallmart or something, and it has different temperatures for different teas and its all digital and bright blue lcd backlight
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)