None
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36161 posts
10285 upvotes
Ottawa

Thermomix

So, a foodie friend with too much money bought himself a Thermomix.

An all singing, all dancing, cooking gadget. He saw them in Europe and had to have one. seems to do everything (except fry) and he boasts there are 20 or 30 thousand recipes for it.
He has only had it for a few weeks but says it is the best thing he ever bought and can now get rid of a bunch of other gadgets he has.

https://www.thermomix.ca/
https://www.thespruceeats.com/thermomix ... ew-4693221

Any RFD foodies have one?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3052 posts
526 upvotes
Toronto
Went to the first page of their website, it gives a list of all the benefits and 0 explanation of what the product actually is or does. Typically that kind of marketing screams "scam product" or MLM.

After looking at their second product detail page, I still don't know exactly what it is, but it seems to be some sort of food processor with an induction heating element built in. Oh and it has a little $10 android tablet built in so it's super high tech /s.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36161 posts
10285 upvotes
Ottawa
trane0 wrote: Went to the first page of their website, it gives a list of all the benefits and 0 explanation of what the product actually is or does. Typically that kind of marketing screams "scam product" or MLM.

After looking at their second product detail page, I still don't know exactly what it is, but it seems to be some sort of food processor with an induction heating element built in. Oh and it has a little $10 android tablet built in so it's super high tech /s.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Seems the second link has information.
" The TM6 boasts an astonishing 20 features, so you can whisk, caramelize, brown, chop, steam, sauté, blend, boil, knead, emulsify, mill, grind, grate, and knead all at the touch of a button. Using the touchscreen cooking functions, we were able to gently stir, heat, and emulsifying a Hollandaise sauce for Eggs Benedict in just 4 minutes. Likewise, 15 minutes was all it took to create the lightest of crème brulées. We were even able to turn the toughest cuts of meat into delicious, rich casseroles thanks to the slow cooker mode which was far from slow.

No matter what you’re making, timers, precision heating up to 320ºF, and the gentlest stirring ability mean you can busy yourself elsewhere while the Thermomix takes care of the cooking. "
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12598 posts
7324 upvotes
Markham
Can it cook a whole turkey?

Let us know what he's selling...
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1264 posts
689 upvotes
Toronto
Love this line "Some features require the recipe subscription". Can't use everything on it unless your wifi is active and you have a paid subscription to their service.
May 28, 2012
11233 posts
3439 upvotes
Saskatoon
Looks like a marketing experiment. You have no idea what it does and the only references I've seen about this is from people either selling it or influencers who were given free product to build up hype.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1024 posts
327 upvotes
I went to a presentation from someone doing a demo in their house and got a free 3 course meal out of it once.
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36161 posts
10285 upvotes
Ottawa
gr8dlr wrote: Can it cook a whole turkey?

Let us know what he's selling...
What who is selling??
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36161 posts
10285 upvotes
Ottawa
Mars2012 wrote: Looks like a marketing experiment. You have no idea what it does and the only references I've seen about this is from people either selling it or influencers who were given free product to build up hype.
As I see it, there is no experiment. It seems ot have n=been around for a long time. maybe just new to North America? Seems that this device is very popular.
The device is for sale on Amazon, EBay and elsewhere so it is not just by "influencers"

This is 7 years old but still,
http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2014 ... sales.html
https://www.acanadianfoodie.com/recipe- ... tatistics/

I am not defending this device nor selling it, just mentioning it and asking if any RFDer has one. There are RFDers that have a penchant for high end devices. Just brought it up because I have never heard of the thing but is seems that it is quite popular in other parts of the world.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12598 posts
7324 upvotes
Markham
Pete_Coach wrote: What who is selling??
You said in your OP

"and can now get rid of a bunch of other gadgets he has."

May 28, 2012
11233 posts
3439 upvotes
Saskatoon
Pete_Coach wrote: As I see it, there is no experiment. It seems ot have n=been around for a long time. maybe just new to North America? Seems that this device is very popular.
The device is for sale on Amazon, EBay and elsewhere so it is not just by "influencers"

This is 7 years old but still,
http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2014 ... sales.html
https://www.acanadianfoodie.com/recipe- ... tatistics/

I am not defending this device nor selling it, just mentioning it and asking if any RFDer has one. There are RFDers that have a penchant for high end devices. Just brought it up because I have never heard of the thing but is seems that it is quite popular in other parts of the world.
I have plenty of high end devices but this appliance seems to be trying to do too many different things...seems gimmicky and maybe best suited to cooks who need some hand-holding. Btw, where is the Amazon link? I checked both .ca and .com and can't see a listing for the actual appliance. Ebay seems to only have used ones.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36161 posts
10285 upvotes
Ottawa
gr8dlr wrote: You said in your OP

"and can now get rid of a bunch of other gadgets he has."
Yes, that is what he said to me.
Why do you consider this selling? What is he selling. He made a statement about a device.
You are reading too much into this or trying to argue.
Mars2012 wrote: I have plenty of high end devices but this appliance seems to be trying to do too many different things...seems gimmicky and maybe best suited to cooks who need some hand-holding. Btw, where is the Amazon link? I checked both .ca and .com and can't see a listing for the actual appliance. Ebay seems to only have used ones.
Well, so be it.
I Googled it and found that it is very popular as I linked. Seems to be new to North America, as I also said. It seems to have been around since 1961 so, it is not new. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermomix
It comes up on Amazon search but there is no product. Don't know why, I don't work for Amazon. Is that an issue for you?? A little Google search found this "You cannot buy a Thermomix from a shop. Similar to brands like Tupperware and Avon, they are sold by consultants, who work on commission, during in-home demonstrations. .."
Also as I said "I am not defending this device nor selling it, just mentioning it and asking if any RFDer has one. " It is a topic for discussion, if nothing to say about the device except criticize without basis....?
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
Already discussed in detail here back in 2014:

thermomix-real-not-1498869

I always am uneasy about products that are only sold MLM-style. Makes you question the quality/scam level if they can't trust their products to be sold via traditional retail channels including Amazon or even by direct ordering from the company.
Mar 16, 2007
303 posts
138 upvotes
GTA

probably okay if I can only have one kitchen appliance and money is not an issue. but as someone who enjoys the process of cooking, i would say no.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12598 posts
7324 upvotes
Markham
Pete_Coach wrote: Yes, that is what he said to me.
Why do you consider this selling? What is he selling. He made a statement about a device.
You are reading too much into this or trying to argue.
I was just adding onto what you wrote..not trying to argue or anything. It's not unusual for a person like this to "purge" his old toys now that he has a new toy.

[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36161 posts
10285 upvotes
Ottawa
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Already discussed in detail here back in 2014:

thermomix-real-not-1498869

I always am uneasy about products that are only sold MLM-style. Makes you question the quality/scam level if they can't trust their products to be sold via traditional retail channels including Amazon or even by direct ordering from the company.
So Tupperware, Avon, Pampered Chef, multitude of beauty products like Mar Kay and, as a result of COVID, many more are scams/lacking quality?
The multi level marketing ( or direct marketing) companies are have been around for a long time and are growing.
As I mentioned, this company has been around since 1961 so it is not some upstart just cashing in.
Beneful1 wrote: There are other makes of these from All Clad,, and this much cheaperYour text to link here... one
I am sure there are many copied versions. I was just asking about this brand as a friend bought one.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8701 posts
1588 upvotes
Vancouver
I hear this makes really good pho
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36161 posts
10285 upvotes
Ottawa
GangStarr wrote: I hear this makes really good pho
Really? Not a fan, I find it underwhelming :) So, I won't be buying the machine to make it.