Tags:
[OP]
Jun 14, 2009
566 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto

Are these engine oils exactly the same?

Hi Guys:
Costco has this available (and is on sale) (eg first link) but am not sure if this is the same exact oil as the one that meets the Acura HTO-06 standard (see other link eg 2nd link)...

seems like the Costco one is labelled fully synthetic vs the Castrol website one that meets Acura HTO-06 spec but is labelled"advanced fully synthetic". FWIW, my 2010 RDX is the only car in the honda/acura lineup that needs to meet this Acura HTO-06 standard (based on what's written in on the owners manual and after I've research online ... *shrugs* -- worst comes to worst, i guess ill have to get Mobil 1 I guess... ) both are synthetic, and 5w-30... not sure what Acura HTO-06 and advanced fully synthetic has vs costco's fully synthetic one... Both seem to be castrol edge label as well... would buying the Costco one be incorrect as the costco website does not indicate their Castrol Edge 5w-30 meets Acura HTO-06 spec (eg the text after the picture below doesn't indicate it vs the castrol website one does)?

Many thanks

https://www.costco.ca/castrol-edge-spt- ... 46178.html

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-st ... #tab_5w-30
13 replies
Sep 25, 2018
743 posts
1374 upvotes
Don't worry, it's just an Acura, not Benz AMG. A "regular" synthetic won't blow up the engine. If you are worried why don't you buy it from dealership like your other stuff?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35619 posts
21675 upvotes
Center of Universe
As long as it's full synthetic and same weight, your good.
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
14 posts
6 upvotes
Get the cheapest one with right viscosity and don't bother what Acura "specs" are. its all marketing.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12252 posts
6803 upvotes
Brampton
AlicW93740 wrote: Don't worry, it's just an Acura, not Benz AMG. A "regular" synthetic won't blow up the engine. If you are worried why don't you buy it from dealership like your other stuff?
vkizzle wrote: As long as it's full synthetic and same weight, your good.
Peternev wrote: Get the cheapest one with right viscosity and don't bother what Acura "specs" are. its all marketing.

Nope, nope and nope
Look I'm not going to get all BITOG on you but making sure your oil meets the spec is the least you can do. Literally meeting the spec is the least the oil needs to do.

Even if you use regular/Dino oil that meets the spec it's better than a Fancy name brand Synthetic oil that doesn't meet the spec. Meeting the spec is meeting the spec you're not guessing you're not relying on marketing, hope or some magic.

Why is the spec in this case HTO-06 important? Because the engine I'm guessing one of the new Honda DI Turbo Engines is very particular about the volatility and vaporization of the oil. An oil that doesn't meet the spec is one of the reasons that will affect deposits on the back of the intake valves. Most of the new DI Turbo engines focus on this aspect as well as the ability to maintain it these properties at high temperatures eg when it's lubricating the turbo as an oil bearing.

Specs is not marketing. It's the other way around.
Get the cheapest oil that meets the specs and your viscosity and don't give a crap about the brand. The brand and the fancy ass wording is marketing.
[OP]
Jun 14, 2009
566 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know much about these minutia but I found my answer finally through even more research both in car forums and RfD. Pennzoil platinum and Mobil one meet hto-06. Castrol I have to look at the bottle itself. Since I'll be going to Costco today I'll look at it later but Pennzoil platinum 5w30is similar price on Walmart on sale for $27+ for 5liters till tomorrow and it 100% definitely has Honda hto-06 so problem solved! Thanks guys... Fwiw I feel Honda tried to be cute with it's first rdx turbo engine. . Only that k23 engine needed this hto-06 whatever based on what I read... Either way, now I know and learned from all you auto RfD posters :)
PS tebore has done his research on this. I read why rdx 2007-2012 ended up with this hto-06 spec since they tested deposits after a long duration as apparently no deposits truly occur on early pours if any synthetic... Mobil 1 was factory fill then Pennzoil platinum followed ... Some other posters were arguing in other forums then that Royal purple or amsoil or whatnot were better oils but didn't have this so whether they should use them etc etc... Bottom line I'll just follow om and look at bottle whether it meets or not and get cheapest... In this case Pennzoil platinum today
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12252 posts
6803 upvotes
Brampton
eilrach wrote: I don't know much about these minutia but I found my answer finally through even more research both in car forums and RfD. Pennzoil platinum and Mobil one meet hto-06. Castrol I have to look at the bottle itself. Since I'll be going to Costco today I'll look at it later but Pennzoil platinum 5w30is similar price on Walmart on sale for $27+ for 5liters till tomorrow and it 100% definitely has Honda hto-06 so problem solved! Thanks guys... Fwiw I feel Honda tried to be cute with it's first rdx turbo engine. . Only that k23 engine needed this hto-06 whatever based on what I read... Either way, now I know and learned from all you auto RfD posters :)
PS tebore has done his research on this. I read why rdx 2007-2012 ended up with this hto-06 spec since they tested deposits after a long duration as apparently no deposits truly occur on early pours if any synthetic... Mobil 1 was factory fill then Pennzoil platinum followed ... Some other posters were arguing in other forums then that Royal purple or amsoil or whatnot were better oils but didn't have this so whether they should use them etc etc... Bottom line I'll just follow om and look at bottle whether it meets or not and get cheapest... In this case Pennzoil platinum today
I just recalled HTO = Honda Turbo Oil.
It might not be needed in the new DI series of Turbo engines (I haven't looked in to it) but I remembered it when the first RDX launched.

All the specs these days is somewhat always related to the "Volatility" and "Vaporization" of the oil at high temps. Because of deposits on valves. It's why traditionally Euro cars have had such stricter oil requirements. Modern main stream engines are all going in that direction so it's good to pay attention.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35619 posts
21675 upvotes
Center of Universe
tebore wrote: Nope, nope and nope
Look I'm not going to get all BITOG on you but making sure your oil meets the spec is the least you can do. Literally meeting the spec is the least the oil needs to do.

Even if you use regular/Dino oil that meets the spec it's better than a Fancy name brand Synthetic oil that doesn't meet the spec. Meeting the spec is meeting the spec you're not guessing you're not relying on marketing, hope or some magic.

Why is the spec in this case HTO-06 important? Because the engine I'm guessing one of the new Honda DI Turbo Engines is very particular about the volatility and vaporization of the oil. An oil that doesn't meet the spec is one of the reasons that will affect deposits on the back of the intake valves. Most of the new DI Turbo engines focus on this aspect as well as the ability to maintain it these properties at high temperatures eg when it's lubricating the turbo as an oil bearing.

Get the cheapest oil that meets the specs and your viscosity and don't give a crap about the brand. The brand and the fancy ass wording is marketing.
F me, I've put at least 3 different 5w30 full synthetic in my Explorer... she's going to blow.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12252 posts
6803 upvotes
Brampton
vkizzle wrote: F me, I've put at least 3 different 5w30 full synthetic in my Explorer... she's going to blow.
She is. But that's because it's a Ford. Face With Tears Of Joy

The Ecoboost is a more forgiving engine I guess? Compared to the First production Honda Turbo? I mean clearly they haven't figure out how to make a decent engine since the B Series (and the Funky H) and let alone Turbo-ing it and adding DI to them now.

The Ecoboost needs what? API-SL? GF-5? Which is pretty much all the newer oils? Ford Probably learned all they needed to learn from all those dead 2.3 DISI engines.

But real talk for a sec. IIRC Ford spent a lot of time designing the EGR system when they designed the EB engines to help cut down on Deposits. Even then looks like they know long term they'll need port injection.

Who knows if Honda did anything with their EGR system for the KA23.
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
14 posts
6 upvotes
tebore wrote: Nope, nope and nope

Plain and simple paranoia. Oil is oil. Honda, Bmw, Benz..etc do not make oil, oil companies do. You are saying an 5w-30 Bmw spec oil is any different from a Honda (you call it Acura) 5w-30 oil? If you use Bmw spec 5w-30 instead of Honda will make a difference? What world do you live in?
Bmw for example does not make brake rotors, never did, Zimmerman does it for them and put Bmw logo on the box. Zimmerman rotors are the same exact rotors and ignorants go to Bmw and pay (spec rotors) twice as much(feel better). Same product different box. You pay the box.
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
14 posts
6 upvotes
eilrach wrote: I don't know much about these minutia but I found my answer finally through even more research both in car forums and RfD. Pennzoil platinum and Mobil one meet hto-06. Castrol I have to look at the bottle itself. Since I'll be going to Costco today I'll look at it later but Pennzoil platinum 5w30is similar price on Walmart on sale for $27+ for 5liters till tomorrow and it 100% definitely has Honda hto-06 so problem solved! Thanks guys... Fwiw I feel Honda tried to be cute with it's first rdx turbo engine. . Only that k23 engine needed this hto-06 whatever based on what I read... Either way, now I know and learned from all you auto RfD posters :)
Life of your engine will not be deiced by type of oil used but frequency of oil changes. I will take an oil change with regular oil every 5000km over 10,000km with any synthetic, any day...regardless the engine, make or model. Its all designed to make you more.
[OP]
Jun 14, 2009
566 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks guys, it's ok, I managed to get Pennzoil Ultra Platinum that meets the spec I need for $27.77 today at Walmart plus mailing in a rebate of $10 too :) $17.77 for 5L for ultra platinum woohoo! Thanks RFD :)
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4334 posts
3624 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Peternev wrote: Plain and simple paranoia. Oil is oil. Honda, Bmw, Benz..etc do not make oil, oil companies do. You are saying an 5w-30 Bmw spec oil is any different from a Honda (you call it Acura) 5w-30 oil? If you use Bmw spec 5w-30 instead of Honda will make a difference? What world do you live in?
Bmw for example does not make brake rotors, never did, Zimmerman does it for them and put Bmw logo on the box. Zimmerman rotors are the same exact rotors and ignorants go to Bmw and pay (spec rotors) twice as much(feel better). Same product different box. You pay the box.
Maybe 20 yrs ago you’d be right but not so much any more. The manufacturers now work much more closely together with the oil refiners to tweak or fine tune the blends of additives and formulations to better meet the requirements of the engine & the pollution equipment & the fuel economy targets. So having a car manufacturer’s spec standard being met is actually important for the engine, etc.

That said, the owners manual usually says if you need a top up but cannot find oil meeting the manufacturer’s spec then any oil that meets the viscosity standard will will do in a pinch. It would be better to run with a full fill that has a mix with some oil that doesn’t meet the standard than it would be to run low. So a bit here & there isn’t an issue, but long term use of an oil that doesn’t meet the standard is not ideal and could cause problems to long term reliability, durability, emissions, fuel economy, etc.
[OP]
Jun 14, 2009
566 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
Actually, twhat canadianlurker said is exactly what my owners manual said, hence I was concerned about meeting spec since I know people in RfD always say to follow your manual... So I did :)