• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2020 10:52 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 17, 2019
57 posts
24 upvotes

Are these LG tv good?

Looking to purchase a TV thats 65-70inch and found these in costco. I know nothing about TVs :( are these good quality?
DF253B16-9C7C-4DAC-AEC2-57593D78B11B.png
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2228 posts
1369 upvotes
North Vancouver
Have a look at the reviews here: https://www.rtings.com/
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
ht1004 wrote: Looking to purchase a TV thats 65-70inch and found these in costco. I know nothing about TVs :( are these good quality?DF253B16-9C7C-4DAC-AEC2-57593D78B11B.png
uses IPS panels - great angles but poor blacks. That's before you delve into the backlighting. Good to excellent codec for 3rd party standalone files like mkv
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19208 posts
5289 upvotes
Toronto
LG's TVs are OLED or IPS LCD.

OLEDs are awesome.
IPS LCDs are not.

I would generally only recommend IPS if you are planning on using a smaller model for a computer screen, or if you need very wide viewing angles because of weird seating arrangements. Otherwise, stay away from IPS because the blacks suck. Well, they suck if you're watching in dim lighting. In bright lighting you may not notice the poor blacks.

What are you going to use the TV for, what is your seating arrangement, and what is the lighting environment going to be like? Also, what is your budget?
[OP]
Nov 17, 2019
57 posts
24 upvotes
EugW wrote: LG's TVs are OLED or IPS LCD.

OLEDs are awesome.
IPS LCDs are not.

I would generally only recommend IPS if you are planning on using a smaller model for a computer screen, or if you need very wide viewing angles because of weird seating arrangements. Otherwise, stay away from IPS because the blacks suck. Well, they suck if you're watching in dim lighting. In bright lighting you may not notice the poor blacks.

What are you going to use the TV for, what is your seating arrangement, and what is the lighting environment going to be like? Also, what is your budget?
It will be a living room TV placed near the window (so no direct sunlight I guess?) and a sofa placed about 4m away direct? Budget below 2k but can be a bit flexible.

Not sure if my descriptions were accurate enough :(
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19208 posts
5289 upvotes
Toronto
eldiablo wrote: https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/4 ... u=70UM7370

Both TV's are LCD panels and not IPS.
It sounds like you don’t know what IPS means. IPS is one type of LCD panel.
ht1004 wrote: It will be a living room TV placed near the window (so no direct sunlight I guess?) and a sofa placed about 4m away direct? Budget below 2k but can be a bit flexible.

Not sure if my descriptions were accurate enough :(
In that price range with direct view, I would recommend a VA panel. That would mean a different brand though. Perhaps something like a Sony X900.

However, if you could increase your budget a few hundred bux, you could consider a 65” LG OLED, depending upon your usage type.
[OP]
Nov 17, 2019
57 posts
24 upvotes
EugW wrote: It sounds like you don’t know what IPS means. IPS is one type of LCD panel.

In that price range with direct view, I would recommend a VA panel. That would mean a different brand though. Perhaps something like a Sony X900.

However, if you could increase your budget a few hundred bux, you could consider a 65” LG OLED, depending upon your usage type.
Thanks! Is this the Lg model you are referring to?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg ... lsrc=aw.ds
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19208 posts
5289 upvotes
Toronto
ht1004 wrote: Thanks! Is this the Lg model you are referring to?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg ... lsrc=aw.ds
No, the xxxx8 series OLEDS are the 2018 models. The xxxx9 is 2019, and xxxxX is 2020.

LG sells two classes of OLED TVs for image quality, Bx for entry level, and then different letters for everything else. So in 2019 their basic entry level is B9, and then they have C9, E9, etc. for which are a step up but which differ in other ways from one another like speakers and aesthetics. The one you linked is the B8, entry level from 2018. (BTW, in 2019, LG updated their TVs to HDMI 2.1. In 2018 they are HDMI 2.0. This may or may not matter to you.)

Every year, the best bang for the buck is usually the C-series, so right now it is the C9 (2019) but the CX (2020) should be available soon. The actual panels of the B series should be the same as the C series, but the C series and up have better processing.

Best Buy’s pricing usually isn’t the greatest. In some places if you know how to bargain, you can often get the TVs for much cheaper than Best Buy. Often you can the the C series at other resellers for less than what Best Buy sells the B series for.

Check out the LG B9, C9, etc. OLED thread in the Hot Deals forum.

Thanks for posting that, since by posting that, it makes it clear you have no understanding what those technologies are.

You should note though that article is one of the worst I’ve seen in a long time, so it’s no wonder you’re confused. The non-OLED LG TVs in question are IPS and LCD and LED.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19208 posts
5289 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote: Best Buy’s pricing usually isn’t the greatest. In some places if you know how to bargain, you can often get the TVs for much cheaper than Best Buy. Often you can the the C series at other resellers for less than what Best Buy sells the B series for.

Check out the LG B9, C9, etc. OLED thread in the Hot Deals forum.
Here is the thread.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/visions- ... #p32360811

The 2019 B9 was only $2200 at Costco a couple of days ago. That's a very decent price. I think the C9 is probably worth about $200-$300 more but the C9 was about $800 more at Costco at that time, so the B9 would have been the much better bang for the buck at Costco at that time. However, I don't know if the Costcos are still open or not.

Here is Vincent Teoh's comparison between the B9 and C9.