Careers

Which of these three courses would be the most useful for me?

[OP]
May 22, 2011
157 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto

Which of these three courses would be the most useful for me?

Hi,

I'll be going into my 4th year at Ryerson University in Mechanical Engineering. I am stumped between picking ONE of these three courses:

Applied Finite Elements
Fundamentals of finite elements method will be explained. Direct stiffness method. Application of finite elements to stress, heat transfer and fluid mechanics. Trusses, beams, frames and plate elements will be introduced. Applications using engineering software.

Advanced Manufacturing
Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) and the fabrication of materials by various shaping processes. Fundamentals of CNC programming, from manual coding to computer integrated software for 4 and 5 axis machining. EDM, powder metallurgy, laser and chemical machining. Advanced manufacturing topics such as rapid prototyping/tooling and quality management techniques using statistical process control and other methods are introduced.

Mechanics of Deformable Bodies
Stress Analysis. The stiffness method. Thick shell cylinders, interference fits; rotating discs and cylinders. Discussion of the moment-area method and its application to various complex beam problems. Strain energy; Castigliano's Theorem; application to truss and beam structures.

Which of these three do you think would be the most useful for me when I graduate? I know it's probably not going to make the world of a difference.

Thanks.

JSRambal
8 replies
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
208 upvotes
Iceland
Take whatever what will you get the best mark and/or you find easier. An employer won't care.
"Between my salary and the office supplies I pilfer, I'm making 6 figures."
Medicine1T4 wrote: oh that's just a username............... im in grade 12
[OP]
May 22, 2011
157 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Hydropwnics wrote: Take whatever what will you get the best mark and/or you find easier. An employer won't care.
Not even a bit?
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1859 posts
343 upvotes
Woodbridge
You didnt go through all 3 of those yet? odd.
[OP]
May 22, 2011
157 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Euphoric wrote: You didnt go through all 3 of those yet? odd.
The manufacturing and stress analysis courses are like part 2 of two other courses we took in 2nd and 3nd year.
[OP]
May 22, 2011
157 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
ironbrah wrote: Go with FEA and learn Ansys
I ended up choosing Advanced Manufacturing after some consultation with people in my workplace. I have some experience with ANSYS at my workplace, and since this is going to probably be a more theoretical FEA course, I decided not to take it.