Wheels and Tires

Are these Winter Tires Any Good for this season?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2018 7:59 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2033 posts
202 upvotes
Ottawa

Are these Winter Tires Any Good for this season?

I have 2 Winter Tires that I am not sure if they are in good condition or not. I would definitely be buying 2 new Winter Tires for sure but not sure if I should keep this current winter tires and put them on the rear or to throw it out if they are bald. Here are the pictures. https://imgur.com/Ib5VHhy
Images
  • 8qGV3PC.jpg
  • eoxWZpK.jpg
  • Ib5VHhy.jpg
  • Vfs9XQz.jpg
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7112 posts
907 upvotes
Alberta
Personally, if a winter tires' tread depth is down to about 5/32nd or less or older than 7-8 years (based on DOT code and no other tire defects...10 years max) , I would replace in either pairs or more preferably, all four winter tires. See apa.ca and tirerack.com
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3848 posts
3952 upvotes
GTA
The tread is down to the wear bars. These are done.

Tirerack article regarding winter tire tread depth:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=184
Tires should be replaced when their remaining tread depth is no longer appropriate for the weather conditions expected to be encountered. Tire Rack recommends replacing tires at approximately 5/32" of remaining tread depth for driving in snow, 4/32" for driving on wet roads and 2/32" for driving on dry roads.
Last edited by derass on Nov 17th, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2033 posts
202 upvotes
Ottawa
I was thinking that may be the wear bar but was not 100% sure. So you for sure think they are done and I should buy 4 tires instead of 2?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3848 posts
3952 upvotes
GTA
There's only so much we can tell you over the internet looking at pictures.

If you want to prove it to yourself, go to Canadian Tire, buy a Tread Depth Gauge for a couple of bucks, and measure the tread depth yourself. If they're 5/32" or lower, they're done.

I would suggest buying 4 new tires, and rotate them properly going forward. That way they will wear out at the same rate.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11246 posts
3500 upvotes
Toronto
Buy 4 and get a manufacture rebate. Sooner or later (next year at the most), you will have to buy another 2 anyway, why don’t get 4 of them now and get a rebate.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7112 posts
907 upvotes
Alberta
masoud100 wrote: I was thinking that may be the wear bar but was not 100% sure. So you for sure think they are done and I should buy 4 tires instead of 2?
Are all four tires about the same age and each have abouf the same tire depth? If yes, change all four winter tires. If they have a tire size for your vehicle, the Continental Winter Contact Si are highly recommended.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2033 posts
202 upvotes
Ottawa
DavidY wrote: Are all four tires about the same age and each have abouf the same tire depth? If yes, change all four winter tires. If they have a tire size for your vehicle, the Continental Winter Contact Si are highly recommended.
I only have those 2 winter tires? The other 2 I had thrown out a while ago. I was actually thinking of the Continental Winter Contact SI as I heard great things but at the same time was looking at the Goodyear Nordic as well. Not sure due to pricing as both have rebates.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7112 posts
907 upvotes
Alberta
masoud100 wrote: I only have those 2 winter tires? The other 2 I had thrown out a while ago. I was actually thinking of the Continental Winter Contact SI as I heard great things but at the same time was looking at the Goodyear Nordic as well. Not sure due to pricing as both have rebates.
Avoid the Goodyear Nordics IMO. They are entry level at best and quite old technology wise. The Continental Winter Contact Si are quite new...a couple years since they were introduced. Gislaved Nordfrost 200 also has good reviews and have a bit deeper tire depth (around 12/32nds) than the Si (typically 10/32nds like many other winter tire brands) as reported by APA.

You should have four identical winter tires. Having two different pairs can be problematic due to different traction and braking characteristics.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13253 posts
7369 upvotes
Toronto
Buy 4 new tires, those 2 are done