None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2835 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto

These yardworks grass trimmer any good?

They need extension cord which is not cool ut I can live with it.
Other trimmers with batter (not a fan of them as battery eventually dies) are just too pricy like $100+

So if only obvious issue with these two trimmers for use on a small/medium size lot for normal use is extension cord then I dont mind saving extra bucks.

In my back front and side yard there are many edges because I have tree and multiple flower and vege beds so I do need a trimmer. Also the grass keeps popping out of the little brick platform I have in the backyard, so I want it to closely cut the grass so I dont see it over the bricks.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/yardw ... p.html#srp

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/yardw ... p.html#srp

I dont let grass grow too big.
8 replies
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
maybe?
Yardworks stuff lasts a few years but they also change every year.

right now I have one that turns 90 degrees, has a wheel and allows me to edge along the sidewalk. I was surprised how much the wheel/90 degree thing made things easier.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1112 posts
409 upvotes
Mississauga
If I'm not mistaken "Yardworks" is Canadian Tires home brand. While I have purchased a couple of there products due to the amazing sale prices, I no long have any left. Reason being is they either broke, or don't work properly. I've read several reviews that the customer service is poor and the quality is low. I no longer will purchase them unless I know I won't keep it for long. I don't baby my tools and Yardworks, products just don't seem to stand up to my usage.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1763 posts
605 upvotes
Elgin, ON
Yardworks stuff is economy grade. You get what you pay for.

Using an extension cord is not too much of a hassle, a long as you have a nice reel for it.
Jan 5, 2015
615 posts
165 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I avoid anything Yardworks.
Bought a wooden axe a year ago, stored in garage.
This year it broke in half chopping a small crab-apple tree, after a dozen more swings (using it like a small hand-axe) the wedge came out...
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1026 posts
402 upvotes
GTA
I have a good size yard and can easily get around with my 75' extension cord. I inherited my parents 'Weed Eater' the original from 30 years ago and it finally died. I picked up a 3A Black and Decker unit from Walmart for $30. It does the job and I was surprised how light it was compared to the first generation model!
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14724 posts
9136 upvotes
Toronto
I have some YW products, no issues.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9864 posts
9528 upvotes
Markham
Echo or Stihl. I prefer Echo.

That's about it. Good luck.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14724 posts
9136 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote: Echo or Stihl. I prefer Echo.

That's about it. Good luck.
But there's a huge discrepancy between OPs pricey $100 and a Echo valued at $400. :)

OP just needs a 50ft light duty cable and a $50 electric trimmer, will last years with the usage it's going to get. Probably won't even need a new spindle of twine.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯