4831 posts
898 upvotes

TheStar.com 1 Year Sub $99 + $25 Keg GC

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
TheStar.com
Give the gift of journalism.
We report what matters to many. Share journalism that fights for the common concerns of Canadians.
Save on your gift subscription.

reg $59.97 now $39 for 3 months
reg $119.94 now $69 for 6 months
reg $239.88 now $99 for 1 year - Plus $25 to The Keg for you!

You can probably order it for yourself as a gift so you get the sub and the Keg GC.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
35 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1815 posts
890 upvotes
Toronto
By using a cookie remover extension on your browser you can get the best "deal" which removes your daily/weekly reading limit count.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
2578 posts
2798 upvotes
Toronto
jasonchewy wrote: By using a cookie remover extension on your browser you can get the best "deal" which removes your daily/weekly reading limit count.
Or sign up for a library card and use their Presseader account to read the Star and lots of other papers. FYI the Star often offers subscription discounts at 99 cents/week (or $52 a year). Better than the $75 after Keg GC. If you want to subscribe it might be worth calling to ask.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1815 posts
890 upvotes
Toronto
6060842 wrote: What's the trade off? The cookie remover extension developers don't just do this out of the goodness of their hearts, do they?
There is no trade off, some developers make these extensions out of goodness of their heart.
Removing cookies is like clearing your browser history or clearing your browser cache. So when you go back to that site again, there's no record (on your end) that you've been there before.
Usually these paid content sites use cookies to track how much you've been reading.
Jul 7, 2019
681 posts
534 upvotes
Are these subscription deals only for online membership?
Mar 7, 2011
205 posts
340 upvotes
Mississauga
MotoCross817 wrote: Are these subscription deals only for online membership?
Does a gift subscription include ePaper access?
Gift subscriptions include The Star Digital Access via thestar.com, and do not include the ePaper. To gift a Toronto Star ePaper subscription, go to https://torontostar.pressreader.com/.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6519 posts
378 upvotes
Etobicoke
Years ago, I used to pay $1/week for 7 day delivery to my door. So $99/yr for digital access is not very hot.

I've been a subscriber for many years (since the Bob Prichard days). Unfortunately, the paper has declined so much during the past decade that I wouldn't even pay $1 a week for it if it was available. More and more of the paper is made up of opinions, editorials and Op-ed instead of news and investigative reporting. I suspect this paper has more columnists than news reporters. Delivery has been spotty too as I miss, on average, 2 days a month. The editors blame declining ad revenues. They tried some very pricey ventures to go digital and increase revenue but all went sour. I got my hopes up when new owners stepped in to buy the paper. But, IMHO, the new owners of this paper did not seem to have made any difference in the content, but simply ramped up marketing. Pre-COVID days, you can go to McDonalds every morning and pick up a free copy to enjoy reading with a cup of McCafe. All these reasons made me cancel. So caveat emptor.
Dec 12, 2010
272 posts
154 upvotes
Wut? No.
Hey look at me! I got a deal and you didn't. I am therefore superior as I prance around and show them off in my signature.
Mar 4, 2015
294 posts
226 upvotes
Vancouver
jasonchewy wrote: There is no trade off, some developers make these extensions out of goodness of their heart.
I'd say more like blinding rage about this kind of use of cookies and widespread tracking, but tomato tomahto.
Oct 16, 2020
39 posts
30 upvotes
If you live in Toronto, just get a library card, and download the Pressreader App, you can get read the Toronto Star everyday for free.
Mar 24, 2009
410 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
lollll at the downvotes and this thread in general. OP, thanks for the post. I'm a monthly digital subscriber and it says this can be added to existing subscriptions so I am probably going to gift myself a year.
Mar 11, 2004
692 posts
32 upvotes
Darn, I got excited as I thought this was for paper version. I prefer delivered version as I like to do crosswords in print and paper is easier on my eyes.
Sep 4, 2005
166 posts
62 upvotes
Thanks for this OP, my current subscription was just about to end.
May 31, 2017
302 posts
393 upvotes
Tempted to vote down anything with regards to the Star but it IS a good deal in terms of price vs. their regular daily cost.
Can't stomach their bias personally...but they have some good sections outside of their political editorial crap.
Last edited by TomRFD on Nov 17th, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: political discussions are not allowed in Hot Deals
Sep 16, 2018
57 posts
67 upvotes
Complaining about quality of journalism while scheming on how to get it for free
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
2578 posts
2798 upvotes
Toronto
andrewmp416 wrote: Complaining about quality of journalism while scheming on how to get it for free
"The food in this restaurant is terrible"
"I know! And the portions are so small"
Jul 11, 2003
680 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
Not a bad price but for anyone who also reads the Globe, Apple News give you access to both.
Jan 17, 2017
149 posts
76 upvotes
i use an application on my ipad called PressReader, you can get the star & globe and mail etc free via configuration of your public library and setup of public library account.