They can just hire whoever they like in public service

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2021 11:59 am
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
975 posts
301 upvotes

They can just hire whoever they like in public service

They had this consultant who only has 1 year of CDI college education in IT in the team for about 1 year and then just turned the person into a permanent IT position, without competition, no pool, no nothing. While there are internal people who were in a pool and actually doing some works at that level. I know really smart people who has a master in computer science or graduated from the university of waterloo and still CS-02 in other teams in that department.
The kicker is this person doesn't have have serious technical that the team needs. requested ATIP, the managerial justification is bullshit. of course the manager got the director and GD approval and support, because none of them are technical people and don't really understand what the team does technical wise.
Really sucks. none of this managerial people understand anything technical. It's all political and favoritism (seems to me). if they like they can come up with any justification to hire whoever they want.
filed a complaint to that department that manage this kind of complaint and it refused to do anything about it.
Life is so unfair. It's all about who likes you in public service. and don't you think racism is a thing in the public service sector? (I know all these talks...but talks is just a show, seems to me). Lots of people have to jump through lots of hoops just to get into a pool. and now someone doesn't even have to do anything and doesn't even need an education. um...
I am really frustrated with the public service.
Last edited by 1000islands on Aug 26th, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
61 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1810 posts
1830 upvotes
Just get a job in the private sector, it pays better and there way more opportunities.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2317 posts
719 upvotes
There is favouritism everywhere. Private or public sector. There is best fit criteria for jobs. Like it or not a manager is going to hire someone who's personality they like over someone who might be more qualified but is a pia to deal with.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Dec 1, 2003
571 posts
209 upvotes
Ottawa
Usually, there is a period where you can file a complaint if you think that person is promoted/selected unfairly.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1489 posts
1025 upvotes
Toronto
crow wrote: Usually, there is a period where you can file a complaint if you think that person is promoted/selected unfairly.
and have that complaint reviewed thoroughly before submitting it. It is VERY difficult to prove this and nothing in OP's post about that consultant would hold up.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
975 posts
301 upvotes
No idea why they have this minimum education criteria, and then a manager can override it. What's the point to have that criteria if a manager can just override it?
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
975 posts
301 upvotes
sixteen12 wrote: There is favouritism everywhere. Private or public sector. There is best fit criteria for jobs. Like it or not a manager is going to hire someone who's personality they like over someone who might be more qualified but is a pia to deal with.
Has it occurred to you some managers or senior personnel are just racists at the bottom of their heart? they just don't like you because of your background?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2006
1062 posts
729 upvotes
At one point in my working career, I considered working for the PS and from my observation, there appears to be A LOT of:

1. Nepotism & Favouritism Hiring - this is ironic because of how 'gender' and 'race' equal they are trying to be; this is actually a stupid way of hiring to be honest. The best _candidate_ should be hired, regardless of "gender" or "race".

2. Skills - I've noticed many unqualified people working in highly technical or skilled roles ; it doesn't seem to make any sense. They also seem to favour "education" versus "experience" which is a terrible metric for technical ability. Many of these roles seem to be filled by these people who then have to go to school or training to learn how to do these roles; this is based on some technical interaction I've had with anyone in PS, the skills they have are extremely poor. The technology and architecture they seem to use also appears to be dated and is extremely fragmented throughout - i.e. some of their departments in the PS use Microsoft Teams, some use Zoom and some do not use any conferencing tech. They still use Fax Machines for crying out loud.

I've also noticed with some roles at the TTC, Train Operators get promoted to very technical roles, with literally zero technical ability or experience.

At the end of the day, I stopped perusing the PS because only dead beats end up working in these jobs and there is much better pay & opportunity in the Private Sector.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5117 posts
2961 upvotes
Perception is not reality. I understand your frustrations OP, and I'm not trying to dismiss them. Personally, I wouldn't equate education to capabilities. Some may argue the person who got their Masters at Waterloo may not stick around long enough and aspire for more. Also, I could have gotten my Masters in 2011, and never continued to learn and develop myself. Does that make me more qualified simply because I have a Masters (despite not growing myself)? I would argue no. Best unsolicited advice I can give is to advocate for yourself and boost your own internal and external network.
Last edited by MyNameWasTaken on Aug 26th, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5069 posts
3251 upvotes
They promoted someone from mail processing to be my supervisor, dude jumped up 6 levels and more than doubled his salary.

Get out.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5117 posts
2961 upvotes
bhrm wrote: They promoted someone from mail processing to be my supervisor, dude jumped up 6 levels and more than doubled his salary.

Get out.
Mail processing is a thankless job (though during a pandemic they were out saviours), though I am curious to learn the backstory there because a 6 level jump does sound like a peculiar exception. What is he or she a supervisor of?
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1633 posts
962 upvotes
1000islands wrote: No idea why they have this minimum education criteria, and then a manager can override it. What's the point to have that criteria if a manager can just override it?
Not sure if those codes are unionized jobs, but in a unionized environment, you could file a grievance if it's arbitrarily not met. Otherwise, job descriptions are really just guidelines.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5069 posts
3251 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote: Mail processing is a thankless job (though during a pandemic they were out saviours), though I am curious to learn the backstory there because a 6 level jump does sound like a peculiar exception. What is he or she a supervisor of?
In-person program delivery and service of an entire PROGRAM that he also failed the exam but they let him pass....
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2015
1004 posts
1093 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you started your own company, then you wouldn't have to worry about this.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
975 posts
301 upvotes
desolatioN wrote: 2. Skills - I've noticed many unqualified people working in highly technical or skilled roles ; it doesn't seem to make any sense. They also seem to favour "education" versus "experience" which is a terrible metric for technical ability. Many of these roles seem to be filled by these people who then have to go to school or training to learn how to do these roles; this is based on some technical interaction I've had with anyone in PS, the skills they have are extremely poor. The technology and architecture they seem to use also appears to be dated and is extremely fragmented throughout - i.e. some of their departments in the PS use Microsoft Teams, some use Zoom and some do not use any conferencing tech. They still use Fax Machines for crying out loud.
The said hiring had a biology director and economic DG to manage computer science people.....funny they had no clue what skills were needed for the team. and a database manager who didn't know the most used word in the field. what a joke. we talked about UK(unique key), and he thought we talk about the country lol..........and this was the person who did the hiring
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2006
1062 posts
729 upvotes
1000islands wrote: The said hiring had a biology director and economic DG to manage computer science people.....funny they had no clue what skills were needed for the team. and a database manager who didn't know the most used word in the field. what a joke. we talked about UK(unique key), and he thought we talk about the country lol..........and this was the person who did the hiring
I’m not surprised. Just look at the idiots we have in power… Patty Hajdu is the Minister of health… with NO FORMAL HEALTH EDUCATION OR EXPERIENCE LOL !! She has an arts degree… Face With Tears Of Joy

It’s a joke government we have here - all of these people need to thrown on the street and replaced by comptent people that have the skills and experience in these fields.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1812 posts
684 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
... yet everyone cries "Wolf" when there's any talk about reductions in the public service
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5719 posts
1289 upvotes
1000islands wrote: They had this consultant who only has 1 year of CDI college education in IT in the team for about 1 year and then just turned the person into a permanent IT position, without competition, no pool, no nothing. While there are internal people who were in a pool and actually doing some works at that level. I know really smart people who has a master in computer science or graduated from the university of waterloo and still CS-02 in other teams in that department.
The kicker is this person doesn't have have serious technical that the team needs. requested ATIP, the managerial justification is bullshit. of course the manager got the director and GD approval and support, because none of them are technical people and don't really understand what the team does technical wise.
Really sucks. none of this managerial people understand anything technical. It's all political and favoritism (seems to me). if they like they can come up with any justification to hire whoever they want.
filed a complaint to that department that manage this kind of complaint and it refused to do anything about it.
Life is so unfair. It's all about who likes you in public service. and don't you think racism is a thing in the public service sector? (I know all these talks...but talks is just a show, seems to me). Lots of people have to jump through lots of hoops just to get into a pool. and now someone doesn't even have to do anything and doesn't even need an education. um...
I am really frustrated with the public service.
I remember when I got hired as a dev for the feds when I was entering the work force.

My manager was an accountant whose department had got closed down and couldn't let him go because union, so they made him the manager of a software development team.

Dude literally didn't know HTML and was impressed if you could resize cells in Excel.

All the work and schedules he gave me were hilariously easy, he would tell me to change the colour of the dots on our mapping application and give me two months to do it and really thought it might be a full year job. It was just changing one hex variable in the code
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
975 posts
301 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote: Dude literally didn't know HTML and was impressed if you could resize cells in Excel.

All the work and schedules he gave me were hilariously easy, he would tell me to change the colour of the dots on our mapping application and give me two months to do it and really thought it might be a full year job. It was just changing one hex variable in the code
Face With Tears Of Joy so my story is far from unique...