Shopping Discussion

Are they serious with these prices at Rexall?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2016 10:18 am
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2352 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto

Are they serious with these prices at Rexall?

I walked into a Rexall store today for the first time in ages and I couldn't believe the ridiculous prices I was seeing. Who sets these prices? Someone completely out of touch? It made even Shoppers Drug Mart seem cheap in comparison, never mind a store like Walmart or No-Frills.

For a few minutes, as I was browsing aisle to aisle, I was literally the only one there. Heck I couldn't even seen any staff other than a cashier on exit.

Here are a few examples:

-Ensure Milk which goes for $8.99 at Walmart was $16.99 at Rexall!!!!! Not 10 or 50% more but almost 100%! And to make matters more laughable, this was actually listed as a reduced price! WTH???

-Toilet paper which goes for about $3 at No-Frills was going for about $5.75 here, and this was another item that was on sale! And on and on with other other items listed at ridiculous prices.

No thanks, I won't even shop here just to get Airmiles.

I remember 15-20 years ago, it was all about PharmaPlus and I don't remember going to Shoppers much. Now there is not much competetion.
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
43 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13283 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Sears will be first out of business and then Rexall.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
May 16, 2015
945 posts
333 upvotes
York, ON
I had a coupon for free ginger ale 2l and I was planning on using it at rexall because it was convienent. Anyhow I looked at the 2l bottle and it was $3.49! The coupon only covered up to 2.99 lol. So I didn't even bother using it. Seriously $3.49 for a 2l bottle ? That's just insane
Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1550 posts
1208 upvotes
Toronto
Their prices are INSANE....LOL. I have no idea how they are still in business. Even their "sale" prices are bad. I have to wonder what they do with all their food products, if they dont sell- do they just dump it?

BUT SDM's regular prices on some stuff is just as bad.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Rexall like most drugs stores work on opportunity shoppers who have nothing better to do when they are waiting for a prescription to be filled. To compound that, the shopper is usually ill or has an ill family member so they either don't feel like doing any comparison shopping or don't have the time to do it. No-one said that stores need to be competitive to make money.

As for Rexall going out of business any time soon, don't bet on it or hold your breath. Rexall was recently bought out by McKesson - the largest pharm distribution firm in the US with deep pockets as they are in the top 15 largest publicly traded companies in the US.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
With news of yet another Bo frills closing due to unprofitibikty it begs the question hoe long stores like rexall will be around. These are some gnarls prices to be sure. I've seen similar prices at loblaws which is madness.

If no frills had trouble making money what does it say about these clowns?

Who owns rexall? I only know they have their names on the oilers arena.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
You havent see longos...im like forced to shop there...
Jan 4, 2008
773 posts
189 upvotes
Gatineau
Supercooled wrote: With news of yet another Bo frills closing due to unprofitibikty it begs the question hoe long stores like rexall will be around. These are some gnarls prices to be sure. I've seen similar prices at loblaws which is madness.

If no frills had trouble making money what does it say about these clowns?

Who owns rexall? I only know they have their names on the oilers arena.
The post right above yours answered this question
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
TheRed wrote: You havent see longos...im like forced to shop there...
There can be deals to be had at Longos if you follow the flyer and check out the clearance areas. BTW, the store does carry some items not in other stores (own brand or imported) so there is some expectation on chain's part to make money on what they sell. Major props on their deli and bakery areas-setup, merchandising and products are great.
I'm a fan of the Ancaster location and have tried a few things new to me as result of Longos.

The current TYR free hot chocolate at Starbucks is making the long trek to the store worthwhile in the cold weather.
Have new cookbooks but am not cooking anything new yet.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
bigmac22 wrote: I had a coupon for free ginger ale 2l and I was planning on using it at rexall because it was convienent. Anyhow I looked at the 2l bottle and it was $3.49! The coupon only covered up to 2.99 lol. So I didn't even bother using it. Seriously $3.49 for a 2l bottle ? That's just insane
If you have the Air Miles card, the 2L pop is 99cents (ends today likely by 6pm). It's easier to redeem for free 2L in grocery stores.
I had missed the pop promo recently as the flyer was for 6 days and I came in on the Thursday. Since it was after 6pm, the new flyer prices for Friday would have been in effect as employee pointed out a different pop promo.

The 3 day weekend prices are worth following and the bonus 110 or 100 AM wus $50 is well worth pursuing. Some products have BOGO 50% deals during the bonus points flyer so that is a major deal.

The convenience factor and variety of merchandise likely contribute to the store prices. Rexall is brighter and has baskets and carts for shopping. Convenience stores don't have the same advantages to offset their high prices.
Feb 22, 2013
147 posts
34 upvotes
Ottawa
well...places like rexall and shoppers drug mart...id think these are more like quickies...or convenience stores.

so they can (and usually do) get away with charging higher. i figure their mindset is the fact that youre in there, its something you need right away and something that you wont bother waiting to go to a no frills or walmart (as per your examples).

Thats probably all it is.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
misterjase wrote: well...places like rexall and shoppers drug mart...id think these are more like quickies...or convenience stores.

so they can (and usually do) get away with charging higher. i figure their mindset is the fact that youre in there, its something you need right away and something that you wont bother waiting to go to a no frills or walmart (as per your examples).

Just walking between the two big Shoppers on Upper James Street, there are different prices on the same items. The Mountain Plaza Mall location has some higher prices, maybe in hopes of the college students wanting to buy and go. Must be hard for the full time residents not knowing that the Rymal store might be better priced.
Also in store specials vary between stores so it's worth a few minutes to find the specials in food stores and seek out clearance deals-sometimes its one zone or each dept has a dedicated rack or shelf for clearance.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
misterjase wrote: well...places like rexall and shoppers drug mart...id think these are more like quickies...or convenience stores.

Yeah, but they're still quite a bit higher than SDM, despite being similat in store size, locations, hours, etc. It's not like Rexall is operating small stores in really high rent areas with good hours while SDM has a big store in the imdustrial district with limited hours.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
I can understand Rexall charging more than Dollarama for the same thing, but they want $4.99 for Lysol wipes when Dollarama has the same wipes priced at $2!!
Shoppers drug mart doesn't even charge that much.

You know what? Now that I think about it, I can even go to my local corner store and pay less than $4.99...so much for (at least) being an over sized convenience store! lol
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
exiledinottawa wrote: The post right above yours answered this question
Some times reading a thread before posting is an issue for some people.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
playnicee1 wrote: I can understand Rexall charging more than Dollarama for the same thing, but they want $4.99 for Lysol wipes when Dollarama has the same wipes priced at $2!!
I would double check that... Dollarama has been making deals with the manufacturers for special "Dollarama" sized items which may look the same size but is actually smaller in content. I've also seen 'knock-offs' of products which the packaging look very similar but isn't.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Rexall is way way overpriced. It's crazy but not many people buy items at regular price there.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8480 posts
5296 upvotes
Toronto
I think the fact that they can charge that much means they must be profitable and have large profit margins which means they are the opposite of going out of business. Those other businesses with low prices are the ones with low profit margins and are at risk of going out of business (except walmart)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote: I would double check that... Dollarama has been making deals with the manufacturers for special "Dollarama" sized items which may look the same size but is actually smaller in content. I've also seen 'knock-offs' of products which the packaging look very similar but isn't.
The $2 Lysol wipes at Dollarama are a "25% more" bonus size 30 sheets. The $4.99 size at Rexall is an everyday size, 35 sheets.
It's a good point made that Lysol can go back to a smaller size at any time, but for now, Dollarama has an amazing good deal, and yes, it is the real Lysol.
There is a store brand for Dollarama, but I have not given it a chance.
For "everyday" sake, I can also mention that Freshco has the 35 sheet size for only $2.77 as an every day low price.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
From where I see their locations besides around hospitals, they are in business areas more than residential....i.e. Office building retail concourses. I know it's not always the case but thats how I perceived their convenience.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)