• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2019 5:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2007
1171 posts
751 upvotes

Thicker MDF panel boards for laundry (washer & dryer) enclosure

I am in the process of building a laundry enclosure but I am only able to find pine boards that are very thin. I would like to go for the thicker look and I've seen many homes that use thick MDF panels/boards. Where would I go to buy these panels/boards? Looking for 1.5" thickness.

See attached pic for reference.
Images
  • laundry room.jpg
6 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11890 posts
8141 upvotes
Edmonton
The easy solution is 2 x 0.75" = 1.5".

Solution #2 is putting on a 1.5" wide endcap.

Solution #3 is not using MDF, which is a poor choice around water in general. In fact, unless you get the water resistant stuff or seal it all in some form of "waterproof" finish, it's probably one of the WORST choices around water.

C
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9646 posts
5037 upvotes
Paris
Jon Lai wrote: Basically what he said above. Please do not use MDF.
I think means melamine. The solution for this is to use the face not the edge to get the distance you need.
Jan 19, 2018
918 posts
615 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Basically what he said above. Please do not use MDF.
What panel material would you suggest? I have (MDF) panel swelling due to my dishwasher. So I'm also looking for a solution, thanks.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11890 posts
8141 upvotes
Edmonton
bobohobo2kx wrote: What panel material would you suggest? I have (MDF) panel swelling due to my dishwasher. So I'm also looking for a solution, thanks.
Melamine is better. MDO is probably better yet. You can also get water resistant MDF, but you may have to special order. No idea how resistant it really is...

C
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9646 posts
5037 upvotes
Paris
CNeufeld wrote: Melamine is better. MDO is probably better yet. You can also get water resistant MDF, but you may have to special order. No idea how resistant it really is...

C
The problem with steam is that it will release the glue for a lot of laminates.