• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2020 3:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3843 posts
1264 upvotes

Things to consider for basement apartment

We are almost at the drywall stage, still waiting on electrical and city inspections. I plan on adding a coax and phone/network line so they can get there own internet. However before the walls are closed anything we should consider?

I also plan to install a PoE camera, in the shared hallway. Would this be reasonable so i know who is coming in and out?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4476 posts
3860 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe if you allow them access to the images as well and write it into the rental agreement.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4344 posts
2445 upvotes
Toronto
JonSnow wrote: We are almost at the drywall stage, still waiting on electrical and city inspections. I plan on adding a coax and phone/network line so they can get there own internet. However before the walls are closed anything we should consider?
If there is a section of wall where a tv mount will go, then you can add in some extra wood studs at that location so will be easier to secure the mount. We also got an electrical outlet where the tv mount would go (so raised halfway up the wall) , and ran some HDMI, cable, etc wires through the wall to floor level. End goal is when you mount the tv you won't have any wires visible.
This was of course for our own use, if it was for a tenanted basement appt I would never use I probably wouldn't care as much.
I also plan to install a PoE camera, in the shared hallway. Would this be reasonable so i know who is coming in and out?
Keep in mind that your tenant can have whoever they want into their appartment, so not sure what good it will do you to see who is coming and going.
Jan 4, 2006
218 posts
185 upvotes
GTA
May be couple of things to consider:
- A pipe running from your main electrical panel to basement apartment where you run through fibre optic cable if in future basement tenant wants to get separate internet
- speaker cables if you have a hall you are going to use
- take video of all HVAC ducting and plumbing and do some markings so that if you have to install some accessible panels later on
- Any extra power point you want to run to external walls outside - ask electrician to run cables

Hope this helps.
FIDO User - 6GB+2GB Bonus for $40
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9952 upvotes
Edmonton
The video camera seems like a grey area... There may be a difference between recording a "public" area (outside the home, driveway, etc) and a "private but shared" area (hallway). There's rules that must be followed, and you might be best off to speak to either the LTB or a lawyer familiar with the RTA to make sure you don't cause yourself grief. And, as pointed out above, you have no say over what visitors come/go, so I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3843 posts
1264 upvotes
Already got an outlet for TV in the portion we will keep, I don't suspect I'll need to run HDMI or anything of that nature as am planning to get a firestick or sheild tv and plugging it behind the TV. I installed a conduit in the family room and it hasn't been used. Am thinking of running a conduit from the furnace room to living room is a good idea and would be better than running dedicated coax or network lines.

As for camera, i think i'll run the cable and figure it out later when it comes time as to if i can or should install one. I know tenants are allowed to bring whomever its just to protect myself in case something goes bad, have read a bunch of horror stories with extended tenant guest staying for long periods of time and squatting.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3685 posts
2168 upvotes
Woodbridge
That is the most scary part. Been there and I can relate well. We rented our basement to offset some expenses during our initial days. It did helped to pay the mortgage little bit but overall experience taught me not to rent any part of house, one lives in ( SUBJECT TO AFFORDABILITY) . After 5 years, we moved out and did not factor rental income in order to afford a bigger house. Decade later when I look back, I think I made the right decision.
JonSnow wrote: I know tenants are allowed to bring whomever its just to protect myself in case something goes bad, have read a bunch of horror stories with extended tenant guest staying for long periods of time and squatting.
HVAC Pro-Committed to customer, not brand. Past RFD Reviews
2022 Central Air Conditioner & Furnace Group Buy
May 12, 2003
371 posts
245 upvotes
GTA
When we were building ours, we made sure to future proof the house

- added sprayfoam as insulation between upstairs floor joists and basement ceiling
- added 4 additional wires (not connected) if we ever had to increase wiring to the upstairs, we can run them easily without breaking walls
- added additional water hose lines for backyard
- additional electrical outlets for backyard
- Did not add COAX, since everything is wireless nowadays
-
JonSnow wrote: We are almost at the drywall stage, still waiting on electrical and city inspections. I plan on adding a coax and phone/network line so they can get there own internet. However before the walls are closed anything we should consider?

Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9952 upvotes
Edmonton
JonSnow wrote: Already got an outlet for TV in the portion we will keep, I don't suspect I'll need to run HDMI or anything of that nature as am planning to get a firestick or sheild tv and plugging it behind the TV. I installed a conduit in the family room and it hasn't been used. Am thinking of running a conduit from the furnace room to living room is a good idea and would be better than running dedicated coax or network lines.

As for camera, i think i'll run the cable and figure it out later when it comes time as to if i can or should install one. I know tenants are allowed to bring whomever its just to protect myself in case something goes bad, have read a bunch of horror stories with extended tenant guest staying for long periods of time and squatting.
Assuming you're in Ontario (but realized you didn't post a location)...

Again... You can't control who your tenant invites to visit or even live there. As long as the tenant isn't violating any health or occupancy laws, they can have roommates or whatever they want. If you want to control the way your tenant uses the property, you might as well sell it now and find another jurisdiction to be a landlord in, because Ontario isn't it.

C

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)