Automotive

Things to consider when ordering a new car..

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 10:09 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11081 posts
4333 upvotes

Things to consider when ordering a new car..

Always bought used but going new this time. Considering a 2020 Outback XT Ltd

Outside price what should I look out for when ordering a new car? I thought of checking the VIN and build date(newer the better)...anyone have experience with this? anything else to watch out for?
Last edited by blexann on Jul 23rd, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
5 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15003 posts
11526 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
What car?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31890 posts
18880 upvotes
Toronto
for 2020, you are pretty well buying whatever are left on dealers' lots now. If you want custom ordering, then you can put down your deposit and hope you get that by November as MY2021
Last edited by booblehead on Jul 23rd, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 16, 2015
623 posts
1278 upvotes
Calgary, AB
blexann wrote: Always bought used but going new this time.

Outside price what should I look out for when ordering a new car? I thought of checking the VIN and build date(newer the better)...anyone have experience with this? anything else to watch out for?
Avoid etching and security fees that get added to the price (you might find it embedded in the confusing bill of sale as "security" with a charge of perhaps $500), expensive undercoating protection, 3M paint protection and extended warranties.

Don't pay invoice price. If you're not comfortable ordering a car cost report and figuring out a fair deal for yourself, use unhaggle or a third-party broker to negotiate a deal before even setting foot in the dealership. It can save you hundreds to thousands of dollars.

Beware of upgrade packages that "only" add a couple of thousand dollars to the price. When shopping for living room furniture, you'd burst out laughing if someone tried to charge you $3595 for a couch with leather seating surfaces and fake leather back, $1795 for a bluetooth stereo and another $595 if you wanted an integrated drink holder, but that's how their luxury packages tend to be priced.

If you're buying a North American vehicle, one way to guarantee a car that's from the factory is to order it with obscure options that require a custom order. You'll probably end up waiting 3 months for your car and it'll be made by a bunch of distracted workers in the middle of a plague, though.
Last edited by jaybeeg on Jul 23rd, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1280 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
Here is what i go by.
1. Vehicle in service date is what determines your warranty started (at least for Audi)
2. Pay attention to every line item on your invoice. VIN Etching/Security Protection is your right under OMVIC to withdraw from. (its a scam, who cares if they find your engine after it was reported stolen 6 months ago)
3. Admin fees differ by dealership
4. The brand offers discounts for recent grads, prev brand loyalty, etc research these.
5. After delivery inspect the car from top to bottom, verify spare tire (if applicable), tools to change the tire, dings on paint/tire, mileage should be close to what is on paper you should inquire prior to buying the mileage.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13092 posts
4700 upvotes
Ontario
They may try to sell you on some extra like,

Window Tinting, I found that dealers are very overpriced. Dealer wanted $600 for Ceramic window tints and I got them by a quality aftermarket company for $300 (4 years ago)

PPF - Worth it if you want to protect the full front of your car from rock chips which will look ugly and can cause the car to rust. If you are going to do it then do it right away when you buy the car. Like the same day or next day. Also dealer was over priced, I went to the same place I did my tints www.pureauto.ca to get it all done.

Dont get any electronic rust proofing crap, it does nothing. Oil rust proofing usually is best & you dont have to drill holes in the car if you dont want (I dont)