• Apr 17th, 2017 11:50 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1896 posts
23 upvotes

Things to do in Barbados

Going for my honeymoon in Barbados in a couple of weeks. We are not staying at an all inclusive resort since it was way to expensive but I need some recommendations on excursions or things to do there. Thanks!
Whatchu know about ice cream?
11 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1896 posts
23 upvotes
Do you know which beach that was?
Whatchu know about ice cream?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1497 posts
345 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
The Oistins Fish Fry on Friday night! Very busy, but nice atmosphere. Also, visit the east and north coast, very different from the calm white beaches on the south and west coast, but just as beautiful in its own way (rocky cliffs and rougher ocean)
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14621 posts
8755 upvotes
Southern Ontario
We went to The Boatyard, it's not quiet because it's populated by cruise herds but we met a couple who were staying in Barbados for a month and they really liked their setup and bar/restaurant, Boatyard was one of their go to places. The $20US admission includes a beach chair, a drink, and a swim with the turtles, although it's a short 1/2h snorkel compared to a dedicated excursion. Best to do that in the morning when they're less fed. The guy of the couple is a photographer like me and he captured some absolutely beautiful sunsets, I can't remember where, likely on the west side of the island somewhere.

We walked up and down the strip and the powdery beach/water is the same across the whole strip, called "Brownes Beach". Our experience at BY starts around 5:25

If you want some more Barbados ideas, see also here, or use it to avoid cruisers lol
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4328 posts
1338 upvotes
Moncton
^^
That is a great video. You had me at unlimited ice cream. Ha, ha. NYC to Barbados is a long boat ride though.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Oct 26, 2003
206 posts
198 upvotes
Caledon
Rent a car and drive the coast of the island either choose to do all in one day or split half one day do the other the next day.. that way if you want to stop and spend time at the beaches drinking etc you can. Visit Bathsheba beach so nice cool rock formations to local rum shop right there to have some rum or some local banks beers. Carlisle bay Bridgetown, south coast boardwalk in Hastings, Accra beach in Christ church, gun hill station Saint George parish lots to do.. people are real friendly if you want to hang with the tourists one day visit the boat house bar 5 dollar admission, it's right in town typically filled with cruise boaters. Nice beach and cobannas.. enjoy
Jan 26, 2005
14 posts
Check out Shakers restaurant in Hastings, you will need reservations....it's our favorite restaurant in Barbados. Check-out their reviews on TripAdvisor; the grill lamb is outstanding.
Jan 14, 2007
569 posts
190 upvotes
GTA North
When I was last there in February one of my colleagues who had previously lived there for 3 years took me to the St Lawrence Gap.

I found to be very interesting to go for dinner/drinks and walk around. Many restaurants to choose from along with street vendors.

Someone suggested renting a car - Just be aware the cars are right hand drive and you drive on the left side of the road. Many traffic circles as well.

Enjoy
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4519 upvotes
Alberta
Snorkelling...bring your own mask, snorkel and fins.
Jolly Roger party cruise
Deep sea fishing...go in the afternoon when the fish come into shore
Folkestone Marine Park
Mount Gay Rum Tour
Sam Lords Castle

We didn't rent a car. The guy at the taxi stand in front of our hotel was our tour guide and took us everywhere for about $100 BBD. He was just awesome.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5157 posts
689 upvotes
South of Ottawa
As someone else mentioned, Oistins on Friday nights. Chicken Rita's (in Silver Sands) is fantastic.
Harrison's Caves in St Thomas is pretty cool.
Mount Gay tour (Rum factory).
Cool Runnings has some great catamaran cruises.
For any water activities, if you got to your local beach there will be plenty of everything from boogie boards to jet skis, banana tubes, surfing lessons, windsurf rentals, etc.

Same as jackrabbit said, find a good taxi guy and pay him to take you wherever. Most make good tour guides. Alternatively the bus is cheap (ZRs). $1 will get you just about anywhere and they are everywhere.

Enjoy!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1497 posts
345 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
I didn't want to mention Cool Runnings, as I wasn't sure if they were still around. Very happy to see they're still operating! We took a catamaran trip with them once in 2000 and once in 2009 and both times we were very pleased with the service and the trip itself.

What part of the island will you be staying at? Both times we stayed near the south and were able to walk to St. Lawrence Gap ( better known as the Gap) over the beach.