• Jul 28th, 2018 5:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12414 posts
2038 upvotes
Vancouver

things to do before selling my android?

What would be the proper steps before selling my android? I will be including the microSD card in the sale. I haven't had to do this before. I am moving back to an iphone.

Thanks
25 replies
Jul 15, 2003
423 posts
183 upvotes
1. Enable encryption if it already wasn't done
2. Once encryption is complete, do a factory reset / secure wipe. This will remove everything on the physical memory.
3. Don't include the SD card unless you can encrypt it and also wipe it, probably on another device. I wouldn't trust formatting it to remove all traces of your data
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12414 posts
2038 upvotes
Vancouver
Are all androids the same in these steps? I don’t remember anything about encryption. I’ll look around.

Thanks.

I think the only thing I know how to do is transfer my pics to my computer ☺️
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4796 posts
2159 upvotes
GTA
What phone is it? Most modern higher end phones will encrypt by default and a factory reset should be enough. Otherwise, what SecretSauce said should be sufficient.

Also, remove your Google account from the phone first to prevent Factory Reset Protection kicking in when you sell it
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12414 posts
2038 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks Dave. I did some googling and I think your right. Encryption is the default. I have an LG G6. I know how to get the pics onto my Mac. But what bout my contacts and telephone numbers? Are they on my SIM? I will be switching to an iPhone. So I need to have those contacts and telephone numbers.

Thanks. Kinda stressful lol. I want to make sure I have the pics and telephone numbers/contacts to import into the iPhone.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12414 posts
2038 upvotes
Vancouver
Okay. I’ve tried frantically different methods. I wasn’t sure if that was stored in google. And didn’t know where to find that info when needed.

Thanks! For the link.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12414 posts
2038 upvotes
Vancouver
Dave98 wrote: Assuming you had a Google account syncing with the phone, they should all be available at https://contacts.google.com
OMG thank u!!! sorry im so android/google illiterate. Thats exactly what I wanted to see. Thanks! All my contacts are there. Hopefully I can transfer these to the new iphone.

Oh wait...a bunch of contacts are missing...mmmmm :( wait nevermind lol i have contacts in both gmail accounts. All is good!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8530 posts
3721 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
SecretSauce wrote: 1. Enable encryption if it already wasn't done
2. Once encryption is complete, do a factory reset / secure wipe. This will remove everything on the physical memory.
3. Don't include the SD card unless you can encrypt it and also wipe it, probably on another device. I wouldn't trust formatting it to remove all traces of your data
Make sure you set it up again, don't restore, delete your Google account then do a factory reset. Otherwise if you just do that, your phone will be stuck on Factory Reset Protection.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12414 posts
2038 upvotes
Vancouver
Ugh. Why does this sound so difficult :(

This is what I’ve done so far. Transferred pictures and contacts to my computer. Everything is backed up to google accounts etc. I formatted the microSD card. I don’t think much was there. Everything must be on the internal memory.

Steps left? Sign out of my two google accounts which are on the phone then a factory reset?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4796 posts
2159 upvotes
GTA
You're on the right track. I mean, that's mostly it. I assume you have everything you need from internal storage. Most things are backed up to Google. Check your Google Photos account as well if you want https://photos.google.com

Remove the Google accounts from the phone and then reset it. If you want to make sure everything is okay to sell then after the reset, just try to boot up the phone and see if it can be setup as new. If you don't get a warning saying something along the lines of "Please enter the previous Google account credentials used with this phone" then you're fine.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12414 posts
2038 upvotes
Vancouver
Okay I erased the phone..I hope lol.

The setup screen is appearing with Two options. Keep your apps and data (restore a backup or copy from a device). OR set up as new.

Assuming it’s erased?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4796 posts
2159 upvotes
GTA
Sounds good. If you're paranoid, you could always set the phone up and then reset it again Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12414 posts
2038 upvotes
Vancouver
LOL there is always that fear. But I think with that screen showing means all should be okay. I’m sure the new owner will need to reset it again anyways. I went through a few screens just so the new owner sees it’s working fine.

Thanks for your guidance, much appreciated.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12414 posts
2038 upvotes
Vancouver
Hmm all my contacts still show after erasing everything. They must be stored on the SIM?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
trellaine201 wrote: What would be t he proper steps before selling my android? I will be including the microSD card in the sale. I haven't had to do this before. I am moving back to an iphone.Thanks
I think most steps have been mentioned by others. But if you are like most of us with a lot of Whatsapp contacts/messages/video..., make sure you go to its setting/chats/chat backup and to a back up (video videos checked too) right away. All your Whatsapp contacts/messages/video ..will be backed up to google drive.
When you have another new phone with your existing SIM, reinstall Whatever incl backups. Then everything will just reappear in your new phone
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4796 posts
2159 upvotes
GTA
trellaine201 wrote: Hmm all my contacts still show after erasing everything. They must be stored on the SIM?
I suppose that's possible even though I don't think storing contacts in the SIM card is really done much anymore. You could take the SIM card out of it anyway. Reset it again and see if they pop up. As long as you didn't sign back in with your Google account, they shouldn't show up.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12414 posts
2038 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah I took the sim out. The contacts no longer show on the phone.
Jan 17, 2013
719 posts
297 upvotes
Ontario teen's photos, info ended up in someone else's hands after she traded in her broken iPhone

Stranger who bought 15-year-old's refurbished phone had access to her social media accounts

After shattering the screen of her iPhone, Natalie Hall thought the device was basically junk.

She never expected it to wind up 11,000 kilometres away, in the hands of a man who used it to add himself as her Facebook friend and to follow her private Instagram account.

But last week, a man messaged the 15-year-old on Facebook, saying he had bought her used phone in Dubai and the device still had all of her data on it. To prove it, he sent Hall a screengrab of her old phone's camera roll, commenting on the "sweet" photos of the teen, her friends and her dog.
Ontario teen's photos, info ended up in someone else's hands after she traded in her broken iPhone

How to overwrite your phone data yourself

Step 1 - Go to your phone's settings and reset the device.

Step 2 - Download some large files, like videos.

Step 3 - Upload the large files to your phone.

Step 4 - Go to your phone's settings and reset the device again.
Where possible save all data to MicroSD card (which means buy a phone with MicroSD card slot). When selling the phone, remove the MicroSD card.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4796 posts
2159 upvotes
GTA
stack21 wrote: Where possible save all data to MicroSD card (which means buy a phone with MicroSD card slot). When selling the phone, remove the MicroSD card.
Her problem was she didn't reset the phone to erase the contents. She thought the phone was damaged enough that she didn't have to.

The article doesn't go into detail but it sounds like she either didn't have a passcode set or it was something easily guessed and that's how the new owner accessed the data. Otherwise, most modern smartphones nowadays enable encryption on the storage by default. When phones are factory reset, the encryption keys are wiped. There's no need to overwrite data like it says in the article in these instances.

I disagree with your microsd card tip as well. Unless you manually encrypt the sd card, anything you store on there is out in the open and worse off than if it was stored on the phone itself. If the phone was stolen or just in someone elses possession, they could pop out the card and just take it.