Cell Phones

Things to do before selling my BNIB Iphone?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2016 4:06 pm
[OP]
May 28, 2016
306 posts
103 upvotes

Things to do before selling my BNIB Iphone?

So got this iphone from Bell in sealed condition.
Bell has the IMEI, serial of my phone, and i can find them in my account.

I'm just selling the phone alone.
Will there be anything that the buyer does, which could get me in trouble?
(There is no sim to remove, no data to wipe, no find my iphone to turn off....)

Thanks
Last edited by gowifi on Nov 27th, 2016 2:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
18 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16768 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
There's not much the buyer can do except complain after the sale about a problem with the phone.
Aug 15, 2012
339 posts
81 upvotes
Mississauga
Fake cash? IDK. I'd be more worried about payment methods. If you're selling it through Kijiji, they really can't hold you accountable in any way.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21306 posts
23692 upvotes
Toronto
Just be careful where you do the deal. Lots of bad guys who would hurt someone for a new iPhone. I'd suggest meeting somewhere safe like a local Police precinct or a bank (w/security guard).
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16768 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
You could also post the iPhone on rfd, deal with trusted buyers, and meet in a public place. I have purchased 4 iPhones in the past three months and always met in a public place like Starbucks, Tim Horton, and second cup.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3601 posts
923 upvotes
Home
Not just a public place, the best place is lobby of a corporate building where at least 2 security guards are in sight. (and a spot where they can see you).
In my experience, the bank head office buildings were the best.
I remember a news article saying a teenager was beaten and robbed his new iPhone when he met this kijiji buyer at McDonalds.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18380 posts
2204 upvotes
Woodbridge
Be smart about it.

If you're not comfortable, take a family or friend with you. Don't meet at night even at public place like Tim Horton's, there was an incident a few years ago where he got robbed.

I stick to Yorkdale Mall, not that I'm afraid but just in case the back out/no show. At least I can shop around/see a movie. My time wasn't exactly wasted.

If you think about it as the seller you hold the cards.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1307 posts
133 upvotes
GTA
Just meet up in the lobby of your local police detachment. If legit buyer would have no issue. I remember reading something a while back that police were saying meet in public places and they would have no issues with people doing transactions inside a police station.
Dec 11, 2010
468 posts
119 upvotes
Some people will ask to keep the receipt for warranty or legitimacy purposes. Would it be advisable to remove personal information from the receipt such as account and sim number since the seller may still have those active under their name?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16768 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
Apple warranty does not require a receipt. Receipts from bell dealers can be easily reproduced using Microsoft word.
Nov 7, 2016
196 posts
46 upvotes
Canada
Just make sure you get the phone removed from your account, to prevent any potential issues (especially if the new owner wants to have it in their account so they can unlock it).
Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using the RFD Forums app.
Dec 11, 2010
468 posts
119 upvotes
audit13 wrote: Apple warranty does not require a receipt. Receipts from bell dealers can be easily reproduced using Microsoft word.
Ok, maybe not for warranty purposes, but what if the buyer wants proof that the phone was purchased and not stolen or a fake?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16768 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
The receipt is not proof the phone was not stolen because the seller could have stolen the phone and created a receipt.

As for a fake iPhone, a smart buyer would be able to tell its fake by checking the phone imei on the apple website, logging into their iCloud account from the phone, trying the finger print sensor, etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1513 posts
130 upvotes
Downtown
There's no point selling it sealed...if I was the buyer i would ask that you open it in front of me before i give you cash.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15500 posts
4093 upvotes
Markham
chaego wrote: There's no point selling it sealed...if I was the buyer i would ask that you open it in front of me before i give you cash.
that is normal.
show the cash and show the product
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro