THINGS ENGRAVED STORE- BOTCHED ENGRAVING ON 18KT GOLD RING

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2018 7:11 am
[OP]
Feb 25, 2017
62 posts
31 upvotes

THINGS ENGRAVED STORE- BOTCHED ENGRAVING ON 18KT GOLD RING

I had the inside of my 18KT gold wedding band engraved last week at "Things Engraved" (Waterloo location). Engraving of a name and date. The ring cost was about $860, although it is appraised for more than that. Before the engraving was completed a trial run known as a “tape run” was completed. They put a piece of tape on the inside of the ring and turn the engraving machine to a low strength/setting and “engrave” only onto the tape so you can approve how it looks without going through to the metal. After viewing this tape run the engraving looked great. Also I was able to view the PDF text file of what was being engraved- it looked great. I paid over $50 to have the custom font made at the head office and sent to the store, I paid approximately $30 for the engraving itself.

After engraving, it turns out the name on the inside of the ring was double engraved. This makes two lines for all characters where there should only be one. Basically the same engraving but offset. The font is supposed to have very sharp lines and this ruins it. This may seem like a minor issue to some, but for me it is not. I will be wearing this for the rest of my life. It is an error in the engraving and does not match the font file nor reflect the design approved with the “tape run”.

After following up the store manager admitted the problem was with the engraving machine, and said the mistake was repeatable when she tried my engraving on something else. She said a portion of the machine was going to have to be replaced so she could do my engraving “without mistakes (her words)”. I even have this in writing/on email from the store manager. I was asked by the store manager to email in a copy of the purchase invoice for my ring as well as send contact information for the store where it was purchased (as a side note I was also asked to advise the ring value before the engraving). She was going to take it up with the district manager. After sending this information in and following up, so far I have been advised the best that the store could do it pay for the engraving to be “buffed out”. To me this solution is not viable for several reasons including the fact that the engraving is deep enough that buffing it would cause the ring to be oversized and too large for me. Also, as a minor and side point it just removes gold weight that I paid for.

Things Engraved should be held accountable to replace this ring as the issue was admittedly caused by an engraving machine error. It’s not the case that I just don’t like the look of the engraving. The end result does not look like the custom text file PDF, and does not look like the tape trial run, and it is an engraving mistake that just does not look good. Once again, I would understand the store not being willing to replace a product if the engraving turned out as it was supposed to and the customer just didn’t like it. However, this was admittedly a botched job and a mistake of the store with a poor result.

I will be sending an email to the district manager for the Things Engraved Waterloo location tonight. Anything less than an offer to replace my ring will not be accepted.
Let’s see how the district manager handles this situation, I just wanted to make this experience visible to everyone as it happens.

I will post when I receive a response.
Images
  • Ring.jpg
16 replies
[OP]
Feb 25, 2017
62 posts
31 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: I don't think they have a responsibility to replace your ring; instead I think they need to pay for it to be brought back to its original condition.

You can seek quotes from a few different jewelers to have this done. Once Things Engraved has paid for the damage they caused, get it repaired by a jeweler who is able to also do the engraving.

As an aside, Things Engraved is a huge racket.

They sell almost exclusively dollar-store trinkets (excepting the Zippo, Cross, and Swiss Army products) and then charge a dollar per letter for a high school student to chuck your product into an engraving machine.
Agreed. I will get a few goldsmiths quote to fill in the engraving (assuming this can be done and gold colour would exactly match). I truly believe like you said "they need to pay for it to be brought back to its original condition"
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
485 upvotes
Rockwood
That really sucks. As the other poster said asking for the ring to be replaced is a bit much, asking for it to be brought back to the original condition and having your money refunded however is the least they should do. I also second not going back there and having the work done at a jewelry store.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3497 posts
1263 upvotes
Woodbridge
Very unfortunate situation. You should certainly ask them to pay to have it restored to original condition, e.g. size and weight. Do you really want to have your wedding ring replaced? I mean, this is the ring that was on your finger on your wedding day. Personally, I'd take 98% of my wedding ring over 100% of some other ring any day.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2017
62 posts
31 upvotes
jvnanu wrote: Very unfortunate situation. You should certainly ask them to pay to have it restored to original condition, e.g. size and weight. Do you really want to have your wedding ring replaced? I mean, this is the ring that was on your finger on your wedding day. Personally, I'd take 98% of my wedding ring over 100% of some other ring any day.
To clarify I am not married yet. I am getting this ring engraved in preparation for my wedding.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3497 posts
1263 upvotes
Woodbridge
DiamondSeeker wrote: To clarify I am not married yet. I am getting this ring engraved in preparation for my wedding.
Ah, thanks for clarifying :) Hopefully this is the biggest problem you have to deal with before/on the big day. Good luck!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16739 posts
14088 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Old fart here.

I know this must be disappointing, in that the company SCREWED UP with the stupid &*#@ engraving

BUT as someone who’s been married a long time I offer another perspective.

I think people put too much emphasis / stress on getting the “materialistic” elements of the Wedding right these days and not the marriage. The rings are an important part of the Wedding Ceremony... but not the marriage itself

The dream of having the perfect ring engraved perfectly... seems like such a crazy concept down the road for those who’s marriages have ended ultimately in divorce. All for naught... as they say. (Wedding Rings that end up sitting in ring boxes in the back of sock drawers... the dream of perfect a far off unrealistic memory)

Truth is NEW LOVE is amazing. And then REALITY Steps in. And reality is that stuff is not nearly as good as the Dream.

The reality is... your engraving got messed up. And it sucks. But it is what it is. I suggest that instead of fretting about this... that you find a way to embrace it and move forward. You wanted X you got Y. BUT the engraving Y is completely unique & somewhat unexpected like the adventure of your relationship & marriage.

The precipice if the great unknown

You ultimately will discover you can love Y very much... imperfections and all... because it tells a story that is unique to the 2 of you... and an experience on the journey of life that no one else will share.

That’s what true love and marriage is all about... dreams, wishes, hopes, uniqueness, reality, compromise, and acceptance.

When you look at things from “another POV... than your own”... you grow because of it. Let your misengraved ring be a symbol of that vs trying so hard to hold unto a dream that did not fall into place... cause for all your trying to fit the ring into the dream, you could ultimately damage it even more.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2017
62 posts
31 upvotes
As an update I have emailed the district manager and I am waiting to hear back.

I have asked that Things Engraved pays to have my ring fixed/restored to its original state by a goldsmith.
Feb 18, 2012
843 posts
488 upvotes
Victoria
What is there policy? All these stores have some kind of policy to cover their butts in the case of mistakes.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2017
62 posts
31 upvotes
Horsey2345 wrote: What is there policy? All these stores have some kind of policy to cover their butts in the case of mistakes.
There is nothing on their website about this. However they asked me the value before it was engraved. Also as I said above after I advised of the issue I was asked by the store manager to send in the ring purchase invoice and store name where it was purchased. Obviously they replace items in some cases based on the fact that this was all requested.

Half of the day is gone so far and my email marked as high importance has not been responded to by the regional manager, however I will give them more time understandably.
Jun 8, 2012
442 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Did you ask their policy before handing over the ring? For a service costing $30, I wouldn't expect them to replace anything of value or even restore it.

To be fair, they did a test run and it turned out OK. The machine screwed up, it happens. No fault of yours or the stores unless you can prove they were aware of it before they processed the job (which it sounds like they discovered the issue AFTER). I'd like to think they'd have some type of insurance that would help pay the bill but for $30, I'm really doubting its going to cover something of high value.

I feel for you but for $30, anything they do is simply going to be of good faith.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12457 posts
3652 upvotes
GTA
I totally understand your frustration, but I think that it came out better than planned, kind of 3D looking ( might not be like that in person though). The original looks a bit boring.

How much gold do you think will be lost from buffing the error out? It's got to be less than 1% of the total weight, therefore less than $10, not even worth a thought.

Good luck with the outcome.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[OP]
Feb 25, 2017
62 posts
31 upvotes
The issue was resolved. The district manager got back to me and advised they would buff it out and then re-engrave it (no charge for anything) . I went in today and they had the jeweler at the mall buff it out then re-engraved it without issue. The district manager as well as the store manager were very polite. The ring is not oversize after buffing out, which I am happy about.

The only thing I would have done differently as the district manager was offer a partial refund on the engraving due to the error, the inconvenience and me having to come in again. For example refunding the $30 engraving fee but not the $50 fee I paid to have the custom font made. I would have thought that would have been the full service. Other than that it was well taken care of and now looks great.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12457 posts
3652 upvotes
GTA
DiamondSeeker wrote:
I will be sending an email to the district manager for the Things Engraved Waterloo location tonight. Anything less than an offer to replace my ring will not be accepted.
Let’s see how the district manager handles this situation, I just wanted to make this experience visible to everyone as it happens.

DiamondSeeker wrote: The issue was resolved. The district manager got back to me and advised they would buff it out and then re-engrave it (no charge for anything) . I went in today and they had the jeweler at the mall buff it out then re-engraved it without issue. The district manager as well as the store manager were very polite. The ring is not oversize after buffing out, which I am happy about.

The only thing I would have done differently as the district manager was offer a partial refund on the engraving due to the error, the inconvenience and me having to come in again. For example refunding the $30 engraving fee but not the $50 fee I paid to have the custom font made. I would have thought that would have been the full service. Other than that it was well taken care of and now looks great.

I thought you weren't going to accept a 'fix'?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Feb 14, 2009
182 posts
141 upvotes
I liked the guys answer about rolling with the punches!! That was awesome. I appreciate you sharing your wisdom of marriage. Srsly.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5719 posts
1954 upvotes
Space
Not sure why people post threads like this. Let the business try and solve the issue first before throwing them under the bus. We all make mistakes, it’s how you handle the mistakes that should leave a lasting impression. Anyways, glad you got it fixed.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29155 posts
9701 upvotes
DiamondSeeker wrote: After sending this information in and following up, so far I have been advised the best that the store could do it pay for the engraving to be “buffed out”. To me this solution is not viable for several reasons including the fact that the engraving is deep enough that buffing it would cause the ring to be oversized and too large for me. Also, as a minor and side point it just removes gold weight that I paid for.

DiamondSeeker wrote: The issue was resolved. The district manager got back to me and advised they would buff it out and then re-engrave it (no charge for anything) . I went in today and they had the jeweler at the mall buff it out then re-engraved it without issue. The district manager as well as the store manager were very polite. The ring is not oversize after buffing out, which I am happy about.
ROFLMAO! All that initial hot air and posturing about how no way in hell they were going to buff out the engraving and then a few days later--"okay guys all is good they buffed it out and re-did it, looks great now!" :lol:
Hugh Jass wrote: I totally understand your frustration, but I think that it came out better than planned, kind of 3D looking ( might not be like that in person though). The original looks a bit boring.
Ha that's exactly what I thought. But to each their own. At least the ring got fixed and OP is happy, their original over-blown over-dramatic post notwithstanding.